back to article Google I/O snafu greenlights crap code, angers devs

There are red faces across Mountain View today after angry developers pointed out a flaw in the Chocolate Factory's Code Jam competition for tickets to the Google I/O conference in June. Tickets for the event sold out in 20 minutes after they went on sale last month, and prices on eBay hit $4,500 before the auctions were taken …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

"some of whom had stayed up all night trying to win tickets to the show"

foreveralone.jpg

2. Mike Judge
    Thumb Down

slow news day?

What next, stories about the weather outside the windows?

3. Old Handle

Look at it this way, even the people who got the wrong result are still good enough to work at Google.

1. Notas Badoff
      Facepalm

... were thought to be good enough to work at Google."

How absolutely delightful for all the previously rejected job applicants, who have been feeling so bad, unworthy even, now to have evidence that "good answers" in the form of people have been rejected, due to "bad answers" in the form of people already employed.

4. Dave 32
    WTF?

Windows?!?

Wait! What? Those are windows? There's weather on the other side of them? I thought that they were just big 3D displays showing a nature scene. Wow, what will they think of next?

Dave

5. Neil 7
    Unhappy

Explanation link not working?

So that's borked too.

6. heyrick Silver badge

Simple solution

Let everybody go.

Then the crap coders can either learn, or at least get their asses kicked by Those Who Can.

7. wogg

They''re letting more in

I was one of those with correct but rejected answers to the first problem, and correct solution to the second problem. They're letting all folks who had 1 working solution in-- not clear if this had to be the second problem or either one (and in the case of the latter, if they actually checked if your first solution was actually correct).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"It explained that four of the team's coders made the same mistake with the first question"

Well at least they weren't all making the same mistake in a quadruple redundant aircraft control system!

1. Phil Endecott

> at least they weren't all making the same mistake in a quadruple

> redundant aircraft control system!

Or a self-driving car!

9. mittfh

Easy solution

Declare the current results null and void, then re-run the competition after double and triple checking their in-house solutions are correct!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Easy solution

Not really.

I had a math teacher who pulled that on a test everybody in the class but me failed. He just flip-flopped the numbers around, and with my odd brain, I was answering the previous day's questions, so I got screwed. Not that I'm still bitter about losing my only ever A in a math class 20+ years later.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Not really

yeah... I've given a few flawed tests like that before, and had to do the "null and void" thing to the students in order to rectify that.

When you see a student ace the first test, but everyone else fail because your wording wasn't clear, and then find yourself forced to mark down that student on the second test for reasons such as those given, and so prevent them from proceeding to the next year of the course that they had their heart set on, it is demoralizing and heartbreaking... I stopped using exams to grade my students after that happened twice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like