back to article Sony 3D PlayStation TV to hit UK at last

It has been a long time coming, but Sony's 3D PlayStation telly has finally touched down in the UK, wetting the mouths of multiplayer gamers keen to get hands on the set's SimulView tech. The function allows two users to play on the same monitor without the need for splitscreen. The 3D TV automatically grabs the top half of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How long until it breaks itself?

Any bets on how long this is out before Sony rams a "Upgrade to this version or else - and you know that feature you liked? Sucks for you, it's gone" down everybody's throat?

Or how long until it turns out this is reporting your every move to Sony?

I say 18 months.

Sorry Sony - never again.

1. Bodhi
      FAIL

Re: How long until it breaks itself?

Well I'm sure as long certain sex-deprived oiks don't use any of the features to rip Sony off, I'm sure all the features will remain in as intended.

Strange how people forget about the stuff they actually added into the PS3 since launch, like DivX support and 3D. You know, stuff that people might actually use......

2. cortezcortez
      WTF?

Re: How long until it breaks itself?

So, you're not buying this because they might replace it with a less-featured one in a year and a half?

How...utterly ridiculous. I suspect trollery.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No, okay, just no

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Totally lovely the way you get Gran Turismo 5 and Killzone 3, and the promo pic advertises Motorstorm Apocalypse :)

4. Andy Fletcher

Audio

Nice, but until the glasses have audio, and the game can split it so each player get's his own audio I'm not coughing up. Maybe PS4 will do that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does that SimulView thing work with an existing PS3 and Bravia 3D TV?

1. Perspyro

Bravia

I would say no.

Existing 3D TV sync the left and the right channels to each glass. This will sync the left channel to one pair of glasses (both lenses), and the right to the other pair. I believe how it syncs is controlled by the TV and not the glasses. If not, at the very least you would need to get the new glasses anyway. Might as well get the whole Display.

6. Greg J Preece

One of the few good applications of 3DTV, but 23" is just too small. The TV hanging on my wall is 40", and I used to have a 52". Make one that size and we'll talk.

1. MJI Silver badge

This is a gamers TV

For bedrooms ect.

Hence the small size

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Active shutter specs? Bye then.

Got to see one of LG's big passive 3D LED-backed LCD tellys a few weeks ago and wow.

1. thesykes
      Facepalm

Re: Active shutter specs? Bye then.

want to explain exactly how your eyes will manage to filter out the other players screen without the use of active shutters? Go on, it'll be neat trick. Just how fast can you blink?

Guess you missed it being the PlayStation TV? Two players.... full screen... same time...

1. Shagbert
        FAIL

Polarisation. You have two left lenses in one set of glasses, and two right in the other. I know it works, because I own it..

1. thesykes

fair enough.

2. RAMChYLD
        Boffin

I tried out active tech at a Sony showroom sometimes back. There was noticeable flickering from the lighting in background. And oh, the test specs' batteries died halfway through. However, I later tried out LG's Passive TV. I liked how the specs doesn't cause the lighting around to flicker.

But the thing that sold me on the LG TV was the price of the set- it cost only half of Sony's Active 3D equivalent.

So yeah. Nevermind that Sony's 3D is somewhat flickery (and had not only demonstrated to the very embarrassed salesman what happens when you forget to charge the glasses before handing it to a potential buyer for testing, but also demonstrated to me what happens if I forget to charge the glasses before a movie or gaming session), but the price also needs to be much more competitive...

As for two player simultaneous gaming, I typically don't fancy having visitors in my hacker cave. So It's a non-feature for me anyway.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Shagbert
    FAIL

Not new

The LG passive 3D TVs already do this.. You just have to take 2 pairs of glasses apart and switch a lens from each.

1. Perspyro

Re: Not new

Yes, anyone can do it with passive tech, but who markets it? And the last time I checked, trying to place a left lens into a right socket isn't a neat solution (unless your lenses are absolutely flat).

Plus, this can dynamically switch between 2 screen and 3D. With passive, you'd need separate, glasses (which will still be cheaper).

So yes, this is new.

9. Jonathan White
    Joke

'With such high demand,"

For 26" TV? AT £449? You sure about that?

10. Boggy Bumblebee
    Thumb Up

It is a rather good screen...

I picked one up today as the price dropped recently in the US to a paltry $299. I haven't tried the 3D yet, but it plays nice with the PS3 (as you would expect) and PCs/Macs that can output (or be converted to) HDMI.

In the flesh it looks, and I'm guessing intentionally, like an oversized PSP.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like