back to article Mayor Boris' Chinese vote master stroke backfires on twit clone

Bouffant-topped bigwig Boris Johnson hopes to ingratiate himself with the capital's Chinese community by climbing aboard Twitter-clone Sina Weibo - although putting the same yattering on both is just silly. But that's not stopped the Mayor of London from copying randomly selected Twitter posts directly into his Sina Weibo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Simon Buttress

What a prat

See title...

2. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Optional

Mad Boris or the Red Ken, the lapdog of Chavez? Not a particularly difficult choice...

1. Marvin the Martian
      Paris Hilton

Errr.... vote for the Transcendental Meditation candidate then?

It's not such an easy choice. If you actually were Red, you'd despise Ken "I'm the 1%" L... And if you were a reasonable person, you'd vote for Mad Boris nor Red Ken either.

So remind me, how's this easy? One represents London as a Gilbert & Sullivan-esque ship of fools, the other as living under a split-tongue principle-free demagogue.

------

"400,000 UK Chinese speakers, a large proportion of which will be voting in the London election": what are the actual numbers? Yes, a large proportion is entitled to, but what fraction actually will?

Campus here is full of Chinese speakers, most of them doing a business degree, short-term visitors and often struggling with English. I wouldn't bet many campaign on them in the local elections.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Errr.... vote for the Transcendental Meditation candidate then?

I'm with the ship of fools, then. Thank you. See, it *was* easy! :-)

2. Bumpy Cat
        Headmaster

Actual numbers

From my UK citizenship test - the ethnic Chinese population of the UK is 500 000, of which about 140 000 live in London.

That doesn't include Chinese students, who will not be able to vote.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

link

how about a link so we can see what all the fuss is about?

Good for him though, I like Boris.

1. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: link

'ere you go, fortunately you won't need much Mandarin:

http://www.weibo.com/borisjohnson

4. fLaMePrOoF
    Trollface

"One might suggest that a half-arsed approach is still a cunning strategy to make election rival Ken Livingstone look less Chinese-friendly"

I dunno - compared to Boris he definitely looks more Chinese...

5. Ralph B
    Facepalm

Bouffant?

Boris doesn't have a bouffant, he has a gummidge.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tabloid story writing 101

>" Bouffant-capped Boris Johnson hopes to ingratiate [...]"

No, no, no. Not nearly enough alliteration. Should obviously have begun "Bouffant buffoon, 'Bonking' Boris Johnson [...]".

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Problem is

what story is going to top this for a Friday laugh ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"More Chinese-friendly than Ken"?

That's like being going for the "more child-friendly than Myra Hindley" angle. You're up against the man who said "The Jews are all too rich to vote for me". Entering a who's-the-least-racist contest with this guy is like challenging the proverbial one-legged man to an arse-kicking competition.

At least I'm fairly sure it was him. I keep getting confused between him and Gorgeous George Galloway, the other one-man political minstrel show.

9. MonkeyBot

It could be worse...

Trying to just cut&paste from Twitter may be a bit naive, but at least he isn't trying to put hashtags in Disquss comments and sms messages.

And yes, I've seen people do both of those.

10. Silverburn
    Happy

Go for it Boris, ya big crazy haired galoot. You might be quite mad, but you're marginally better comedy value than the rest of the power-mad brain dead muppets after your job.

11. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Boris reminds me of a clown. He's got the hair, he's got the general body language, he's even got the clothes half the time I see him! The only thing he is missing is the big red squidgy nose!

Ken just reminds me of a bad soap opera actor, you know the sort, I will say no more.

In the interests of impartiality you can see my insults for the all the other candidates on the BBC news website www.bbc.co.uk/londonidiotcontest2012

12. asdf

wow

As Yank vaguely heard of him and being as he is a politician I would love to pile on but count yourself luckily. This is the leader of the state where I live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM4-M1-TNyo

1. DanceMan
      Facepalm

Re: wow

I'm speechless.

2. asdf
      FAIL

Re: wow

Yep pointing in a photo op at that evil commie Obama and making tough guy legislation against immigration when its at an all time low are more important out here than say competence, integrity or even the economy.

3. mhenriday
      Big Brother

My most sincere condolences, asdf.

Ms Brewer seems seriously woozy in a country where wooziness - accompanied by venality - seems to have become a requirement for political office....

Henri

13. moonface
    Thumb Up

Sound like a good platform

To rub it in that we 'British' invented wiff waff, again.

14. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Good old Boris!

You can rely on him for comedy at least, ans politicians you can rely on on any topic at all are rare enough.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like