back to article CompSci boffins tout file encryption for Google Docs

Computer scientists in Ireland have developed a technology for Google Docs that allows for the "real-time" encryption of data before it is uploaded to the Google servers. The CipherDocs system, developed by computer scientists at Trinity College, Dublin, is designed so that Google would not have access to the keys necessary to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No sniffing allowed

Google won't like that one bit

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: No sniffing allowed

Neither will GCHQ or Theresa May

1. David 164

If GCHQ wants to access the files they just need the master passwords, I am sure GCHQ has numerous tools to obtain those if they need them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can't crack AES - it's used by the US to encrypt all their sensitive data. Well you can crack it, but you'd be long dead by the time you did, as would be our sun.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

British courts can order someone to turn over the encryption keys for their data. There's no fundamental right to silence, to prevent self-incrimination, as there is in the US. British courts really can force you to choose between imprisonment for contempt of court/obstructing the course of justice or for whatever it is you're being charged with.

1. oregonensis

Re: Courts requiring a someone to turn over their encryption keys

The US courts are moving away from allowing right to silence in the face of self-incrimination to apply to handing over encryption keys. The EFF & co are fighting it, but they are losing, sadly.

2. Shane8
    WTF?

mmmm

Your company allows you to post/backup/distribute sensitive material through 3rd party services like dropbox and google rather than their own sftp ?

If ever need be, i heard you could encrypt archives for just the occasion...although its a good idea, i dont see it being needed/used in business environments, but maybe thats just my opinion.

3. Tzael

This won't last long :(

Got a feeling that Google will say this infringes on their T&Cs. They won't allow encryption for Google Docs unless they have the ability to decrypt the documents.

4. AbortRetryFail
    Thumb Up

I think it's an interesting and laudable idea, but as others have already said, it could fall foul of Google.

I think it might still have some legs with DropBox though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dropbox

Dropbox "saves" space and bandwidth on their servers by scanning files / checksumming them so it's not necessary to upload or store a file if another user has already uploaded that same file. If I encrypt a bunch of mp3 (or other files) then the output will be different for each user, so Dropbox's storage costs could increase, passing that increase to Joe Public.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If that screenshot's accurate...

... it leaks quite a bit of information, so doesn't really provide any confidentiality to write home about, much less stake anything important on. In roughly the same sense that encrypted voip (and skype) might be encrypted, but boffins recently figured out (as was reported by el reg too) how to turn it into a transcript with high probability nevertheless.

So it's an interesting idea but despite using "AES" not quite strong at all, for now. And that's before considering all the mayhem and havoc possible with javascript. Right now this is really nothing more than a proof of concept. Caveat emptor, do not use in production, etc.

Other than that, people have burned more cash on lesser ideas. It'd be interesting to see if they can come up with something more robust, something actually usable, because $deity knows we could use it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If that screenshot's accurate...

Info is certainly leaked - timing patterns plus formatting information. I think this is mentioned in their FAQ. Also there is no security against active attacks. Might be interesting though for specific sensitive fields like social security numbers etc..., but at the moment this beta shouldn't be used for confidential info.

7. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

This is the way cloud services should work. It should create an encrypted bubble that only my business has access to. Anyone who works at the hosting company or the outside world should see gibberish.

8. Oninoshiko
    Facepalm

Redaction

It might be interesting to redact documents this way.

certainly better then putting a black box over them in a PDF...

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Happy

Re: Redaction

I like the nuclear option better.

http://www.rustprivacy.org/TakingWorkHome.pdf Wrote this 5 years ago. It's not hard to set up OpenOffice to redact either ODT (text) or ODS (spreadsheets).

It's so much more fun to exercise the "right to be forgotten" by letting them vacuum, then posting the redacted document in the same place, and letting them vacuum again overwritting the "old" information.

9. P. Lee
    Big Brother

Important enough to encrypt...

but not important enough to host under your own physical control?

What a crazy world!

To be filed under, "Cool, but why would you?"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like