back to article Gemini outs trio of budget Android 4 tablets

Gemini Devices has brought its cheap Android 4 JoyTab tablets to Blighty. There are three fondleslabs in the set: 7in, 8in and 10in models, with resolutions of 480 x 800, 600 x 800 and 768 x 1024. They all use ARM Cortex A8-class processors, the 7in and 10in running at 1GHz, the eight-incher at 1.2GHz. Gemini Joytan 8in and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

scale?

doesn't ICS scale the size of the icons for the smaller screen resolutions? they look HUGE

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: scale?

You say huge icons, I say tiny tablet!

2. DrXym

Re: scale?

Those screens don't even look like they're running ICS. It looks more like 2.3 so it's quite possible they screwed up the DPI settings. Or someone just did a photoshop to make their devices look more interesting in the press photos than just having a blank screen.

£200 isn't bad value though but the devil is in the details.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Interesting ...

... but the Amazon listings for the 7" and 8" versions state that they run Gingerbread, not ICS.

So, who's right? If the 7" version is running ICS (ie. Amazon's listing is incorrect) then I'd definitely be tempted, otherwise no sale.

1. thesykes

Re: Interesting ...

Gemini website says they all run ICS, also that the 10 inch has the 1.2Ghz processor, not 1Ghz.

Amazon does says Gingerbread, can't see anything on the Argos website for these though.

It looks like Amazon have older stock? The storage on theirs is less than on Gemini too, with Amazon quoting 4, 4 and 4 and Gemini 4, 8 and 16Gb.

Disappointing only 512Kb RAM though.

1. DuncanL

Looking at the Gemini site, there are two 10" a version 1 with a 1.2 Ghz single core (which is what Amazon are listing), and a version 2 with 1Ghz dual core, which seems to be what the Reg has info about.

Caveat emptor... Keep your receipt until you know what they are actually selling!

Can't do proper links, but the pages are here:

http://www.geminidevices.com/joytab10.html

http://www.geminidevices.com/joytab10v2.html

1. Danny 14
          Go

TBH there are still a few bugs in ICS apps, id probably rather have a rooted one so I can swap between. That being said, an 8" tablet that can run flash at 1.2GHz shouldnt be too shoddy.

Review please!

2. Fuzz
        Headmaster

Disappointing only 512Kb RAM though.

Same as my Amstrad 8512? Probably should be MB

2. DrXym

The screenshots are definitely not ICS.

1. thesykes

Amazon screenshots show ICS on the 10", Gemini website shows it on the 8" and 10", but states ICS for all three.

3. JDX Gold badge

Come on El Reg

Give us a review :)

4. Luke McCarthy

Ainol Novo 7 Elf

You can get an Ainol Novo 7 Elf on eBay for £100. Same Cortex A8 processor, Mail-400 graphics and ICS.

1. Luke McCarthy

Also forgot to mention

They have 1GB of RAM too

2. Iain Hamilton

Re: Ainol Novo 7 Elf

Has 1gb of Ram and a 1024 x 600 resolution screen to boot.

1. bluesxman
        Go

Re: Ainol Novo 7 Elf

A couple of hours ago I sprung £130 for an Ainol Novo 7 Aurora (w/ ICS), after seeing a colleagues in action (rooted).

Seem like tidy bits of kit and way better spec'd than these Gemini things on a lowly 7 incher

A10 processor (single core) 1.5Ghz

1024x600 screen

16GB storage

1GB memory

Dual camera

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dozens...

and dozens of similar tablets, all from £120 - £200, at least some of them with gingerbeard ;)

some even come with a gps. And a sim card slot. And two cameras.

And then, there are more than just a few which fall, easily, below the £100 mark.

Yes, a solid comparison or review of a decent selection, say... "the cream of the bottom", would be welcome indeed.

1. Dr. Mouse

"the cream of the bottom"

You owe me a new keyboard! LOL

1. Danny 14
        Alert

Re: "the cream of the bottom"

there'l be no creaming my bottom sir!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "the cream of the bottom"

and with a name like Ainol ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dozens...

Can you then Name a few with THOSE specs for others to judge?

3. AlexH
      Go

I asked for a similar product round-up some months ago and Reg delivered (they'd probably planned it already, but we all like to live in a world where we're important, don't we ;) ). I'd certainl;y agree with you that it's time for another one :)

1. Mike Moyle

"I asked for a similar product round-up some months ago and Reg delivered(...)"

I was thinking a couple of weeks ago as I was looking into low-end-tablets (being a cheap bastard) that, with the field changing so quickly, it would be extremely useful i some enterprising tech site (hint, hint...!) would do, say, a quarterly round-up/comparison of what's available at the top end of the low end. Maybe pick an arbitrary price point -- half the price of a base-level of the latest iPad iteration, maybe, as a floating target to account for inflation, and see what's the best below that price point (Today: $250/£156).

6. Only me!
    Meh

Close!

It is close on the 10" but no GPS, no bluetooth and needs a little more staying power.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

7" looks a lot like...

A Ployer Momo9 (aweful name), I got one of those from a UK ebay seller for >£90 delivered and it was 8Gb not 4!

Turned up a few days ago and is really good, couple of little niggles that a quick visit to Google sorted out! Will be ordering a second one when they have more in stock.

8. Matt_payne666

I just picked up an Onda Vi40 - 9.7" ips screen (capacitive, 5point touch) 16gb 1.2ghz a10 with Mali 400 and ICS for about £150 direct from china...

Its no Ipad, but its alright for light browsing and suchlike... The models here look the same as quite a few noname tabs from the wholesalerrs for about £70

9. b166er

Please, someone, why are the bezels on tablets sooo big?

1. David Black
      Holmes

bezels

Er, so you can hold them without touching/obscuring the screen area. On a phone you can rest it in the palm of one hand but a tablet needs gripped.

10. get off

I'd never heard of the Anusol 7" tablet, but by the looks of things they're 3G capable as well. 7" is as many inches as I think I can take before you're lugging something big about.

Heaven knows where one can get one from though. The Elf seems to be about for around 115, but this lot are under 100 dollars!

Front and rear cam on the top of the range 'Basic' model. Haven't they got their naming the wrong way round with these things..

Link.........

http://androidadvices.com/ainol-novo-7-paladin-basic-swordman-legend-comparison/

11. get off

Ainol Novo range.....

I'd never heard of the Anusol 7" tablet, but by the looks of things they're 3G capable as well. 7" is as many inches as I think I can take before you're lugging something big about.

Heaven knows where one can get one from though. The Elf seems to be about for around 115, but this lot are under 100 dollars!

Front and rear cam on the top of the range 'Basic' model. Haven't they got their naming the wrong way round with these things..

Link.........

http://androidadvices.com/ainol-novo-7-paladin-basic-swordman-legend-comparison/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like