back to article Office 365 Prize draw

Prize Draw is ended. Office 365 as seen in the Edge browser

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

The almost always on solution

We saw how leap years are beyond its ability, so I suppose as a prize it's just about worth the cost of entering this competition, but no more, so long as even then you understand you can't use it for anything you have to rely on.

http://tinyurl.com/c7glj3c

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: The almost always on solution

Any chance you could give it a flipping break on the leap year thing?

1. Bob Vistakin
        Holmes

Nope. Its fucking hilarious!

2. dogged
      Meh

You can't use any cloud solution for something you need 100% uptime on. In fact, you can't use any IT solution if you want 100% uptime. I recommend you buy yourself a packet of pencils, Bob.

2. Wize

Cloud? Meh

As an engineer who often visits sites in the middle of nowhere or out on oilrigs where connection to the outside world can be non-existent for visitors, why would I even think of putting something on the cloud?

And, what if some car wipes out our local exchange, or some chump with a digger hits the wrong cable? Everyone in the office sits about idle.

Do that with non-cloud systems and productivity goes up as no one can surf the net...

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Cloud? Meh

Well obviously MS will be devastated that one person doesn't want cloud services, and will probably pull the contest as a result.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

If you want to go Office...

Then get yourself Office 2010 instead and ignore this competition. If you're interested in Office 365 then pick up on Microsoft's free trial. Whatever you do: look into it at your /own/ pace and not because you're hurled into it. That would be my 2 cents of advice.

I'm a die-hard Office 2010 user myself (at least I consider myself as such) but I honestly think that the prize you could win here will eventually be much more rewarding for MS than you. Think about it for a moment..

What you basically get is a chance to use their software with 25 people ('licenses') for one year. So far, so good. But lets say you setup your family and some friends with an Office 365 account and enjoy a whole year of Office (IMO not unthinkable because well, I honestly think Office has come a long way so far).

But now the year is over and you have a lot of people liking and maybe depending on their Office environment. Then what ?

Then you're looking at being tied into a subscription which can easily go as far as $8 per user per month. Sounds cheap enough, but lets say you want to keep your family and friends happily using office this can quickly go up to having to spend $96,- per /month/ (I took 12 people into account here).

Is that still worth it ?

Now, don't take my rant in the wrong way. If you're curious and looking forward to trying this stuff out for a year then you should ignore my post entirely and go right ahead. But /do/ keep in mind what the possible consequences can be when your year of free usage has ended.

As such I would suggest picking up a free demo or a fuller Office 2010 suite.

1. Peter Murphy
      Coat

Re: If you want to go Office...

So what you're saying is: Microsoft is acting like a dealer that doesn't mind giving out free samples... as long as the customer gets hooked on the product?

I don't know. I could be wrong, but I don't think 365 is that addictive. It's like trying to make Steve Ballmer out as a shady character out of a Blaxploitation flick: it doesn't quite work as a mental image.

Jacket please: the one with the theme to Superfly in the pocket.

1. hplasm
        Stop

Re: If you want to go Office...

Now I can see Ballmer in an afro wig...

4. K
    Pirate

I'll counter this competition

Google Apps.. everyones a winner!

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: I'll counter this competition

Except the users who want a proper office suite rather than web-enabled version of WordPad.

Actually that's not fair, the word-processor is crap but the spread-sheet is pretty good for the average user.

1. Marvin the Martian

"GoogleApps word-processor is crap"

Yeah, Google Apps only seems bad because Word produces such high-quality output, it looks like professionally typeset & ready for publication.

Seriously, Word is called a word processor because of what it does to text, so similar to what happens in my food processor with foodstuffs. It only looks advanced if compared to HTML or so.

/LaTeX user walks away shaking head (& fist).

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Trollface

12 month licence

That would be for 360 days then....

1. Bob Vistakin

Re: 12 month licence

Any chance you could give it a flipping break on the leap year thing?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: 12 month licence

Maybe... ask again after Feb/29/2016.

This topic is closed for new posts.