back to article Microsoft retunes Intune for full Android, iOS app integration

Microsoft has been showing off updates to Intune and System Center Config Manager which allow BYOD users to download and manage company-approved iOS and Android applications or run them via VDI. For his closing keynote at the Microsoft Management Summit (MMS) in Las Vegas, Brad Anderson, corporate vice president of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukdeluded
    Holmes

Seriously?!

I keep getting dragged into meetings on BYOD and I can't escape thinking it's a fad to sell devices into corporate which are mostly not needed.

BYOD has gone from being a proposed method to reduce corporate asset ownership - which failed - to being about making people feel good because they get to use gadgets at work!

Here's an idea, get the best and brightest by offering a good salary, an interesting job, and looking after them well. Give them equipment which enables them to do their work and how about blocking any other devices so when they are outside work time they don't get work emails through to their personal device - simple step to help people walk away from work when they go home.

Personally before I have to spend money on new infrastructure, reduce corporate security, train and create new policies and procedures I like to see a far better ROI than 'it makes John in HR smile'.

1. P. Lee
      Unhappy

Re: Seriously?!

+1

Email/calendar on a phone is handy. Dual SIM smartphones (with the ability to switch one sim off) would be handy. Tablets at work are not required. Get your staff some better office kit instead. A couple of 24" screens, a light, robust laptop which can handle them and a decent mouse > tablet. And probably cheaper too.

BYOD is an IT industry scam to sell management tools.

1. admiraljkb
        Meh

Re: Seriously?!

@ P. Lee

"BYOD is an IT industry scam to sell management tools."

Oddly enough, I like the whole BYOD concept (using some sort of virtualisation to keep unencrypted corp data off ANY corp or personal mobile device - Laptops, netbooks, phones, tablets, whatever), but the same thought crosses my mind as well. IS it just a cool scam for expanding a market that essentially didn't exist 2 years ago?

2. steeplejack
    FAIL

White-listing certain apps gives no protection.

The user's device might have numerous other malware apps on it. Once they connect to your network the damage begins.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: White-listing certain apps gives no protection.

Agree entirely, like for instance, a malware infested Android phone. Let Google or some other nefarious spyware peddler onto your net work and your doomed.

Jeez, Google will even sniff your waste basket if you use google docs. No data is safe from them

1. Spanners Silver badge
        Facepalm

" and your doomed"

His doomed what?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Gimme a break, I've been up since 4.30 (UK time) this morning. You got the intent.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

like for instance, a malware infested Android phone OR iPHONE or MAC or iPAD

3. Tom 35

BYOD users wildly, wildly happy

Yes! you are telling me what I can/can't install on my own device! I'm so happy!

I am sure my manager will love it when I tell him he can't install games for his kids on his iPad if he wants to use it for work.

4. Matt_payne666

Byod is something I really don't like, aside from the security, fit for purpose, company image, performance and licencing implications I am of the opinion that work should supply my work tools... This is just a scam for organisations to skimp with a delicate, expensive thing that I need to accomplish my work. Equally I don't like the idea that if I bring my own kit, and then the office get a snoop vr the machine before applying thir own management suite on it.

5. Giles Jones Gold badge

It's quite telling that the picture showing the Windows 8 tablet is on a stand on a table with a cable (presumably power) plugged into it.

It shows that the battery life must suck and that it isn't easy to use while being hand held.

1. dogged
      FAIL

or that it's on a dock/stand with a keyboard so he can type fast and his audience doesn't have to wait for touchscreen typing.

I love seeing unreleased products get hate from nerds who literally cannot have any idea how well or poorly they function. It's like reading 19th century literature on lesser races and makes me feel better about myself. Far cheaper than joining a consumer products-based cult.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The usualy troll spouting bollox. Well done!

6. BYODpro

It Might Be A Scam But People Have Been Fired Over Less

Sure, there are elements of the whole BYOD "fad" that are a scam. And yes, there are lots of companies trying to sell you stuff to fix your problems. But that doesn't mean it's not real. And it doesn't mean your not going to get a call one day from your CEO telling you to "make more stuff work on these iPad things".

Be careful out there.

BYODpro.com

7. frank ly
    Happy

It could work out OK

If the company I work for want me to use my personally owned computing and communications device to carry out work for them, I'd be happy to lease it to them and let them have total control over what is installed on it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The whole BYOD came about because someone didn't have the backbone to so NO are you kidding?!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like