back to article Rare! Yahoo! revenue! growth! spotted! in! Q1!

Yahoo! has reported a slight uptick in revenue and income in the first quarter of this year - the first time it's had any sales growth in the last three years. Revenue lifted from $1.214bn (£759m) in the first quarter of 2011 to $1.221bn (£766m) in the same period this year, while net income grew from $225m (£140m) to $287m (£ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Onwards! Upwards!

Lets! hope! someone! can! topple! those! law! breaking! spyware! pushing! privacy! haters! from! the! chocolate! factory!

2. TheWeddingPhotographer

Found some growth?

They must have searched on Google for it!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hah

they must use same maths as uk government.

magic maths i think its called.

4. Jay Dave
    Happy

yahoo and growth ?

Seems must be some accounting practices to show growth...yahoo is only better for content syndiaction..something like greatiful.com service... which allows to syndicate news and helps publishers too monetize the content...

may be yahoo should get some lessons...;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should have bought instagram

6. localzuk Silver badge

Please, please, please, spin Flickr off as an independent company. Since Yahoo took over it has sat stagnant and allowed things like Instagram to come along.

They need to be in total control of themselves to innovate and not have to tie the company line at Yahoo.

7. Shannon Jacobs
    Childcatcher

Email? What's email?

What is Yahoo's #1 asset? A lot of email users--not mentioned in the article or apparently anywhere.

What is Yahoo's #1 liability? SPAM.

How could Yahoo improve its value? Reduce the liabilities and improve the value of email.

Suggestion: Before they go bankrupt (though I increasingly doubt they have much time left), they should implement POWERFUL anti-spam tools to break and disrupt the spammers' business models. Think of SpamCop on steroids. Rather than one round of analysis targeting ISPs and webhosts, it should be several rounds of increasingly refined analysis and confirmation. A useful spam-fighting system would go after ALL of the spammers' accomplices (escalating upstream as required), recognize ALL of the spammers' infrastructure (with 'other' options to nuke the spammers' new ideas), and seek to help ALL of the spammers' victims (such as by protecting suckers from themselves and by defending the valuable reputations the spammers abuse).

I'm not saying EVERYONE has to fight the spammers, though almost everyone hates them. I'm not even saying we could convert a single spammer into a decent human being. I'm just saying that better spam-fighting tools would make it much less profitable for the spammers and many or possibly even most of them would crawl under other rocks.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like