back to article Ikea to integrate TV, Blu-ray, sound system into sideboard

Ikea, the Swedish flat-pack furniture giant, is to offer its design-conscious punters consumer electronics equipment, it said today. Heck, if Apple can build a global business on the back of stylish gadgets, why not Ikea, the acme of Scandinavian minimalist chic? Ikea won't simply offer TVs, Blu-ray players, wireless audio …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Gordon

Presumably all the electronics will come in kit form and you'll have to assemble them yourself.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Alert

In which case they must be outsourcing the electronics to Sir Clive Sinclair - Oh great!

2. Darryl
      Happy

Your new Ikea box contains an allen key and a soldering iron. And the picture instructions are now 823 pages long

2. Gomez Adams
    FAIL

Looks like the PSU capacitor replacement dudes will be rubbing their hands at the extra business headed their way if these heat capturing enclosures catch on.

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Flat-pack AV kit, anyone?

No, thank you.

1. Tim Parker

Re: Flat-pack AV kit, anyone?

"No, thank you."

Struth - that'll be a blow to their financials.

4. TWB

Great idea

If they get it right this could be a good thing - I may be a broadcast engineer but I dislike messy cables and clutter - probably in a minority here though....

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: Great idea

Any similar TV cabinet will achieve exactly the same thing.

If you're not worried about sound quality, you could just get yourself a smart tv and mount it on the wall. This is a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist.

1. Stoneshop
        WTF?

"This is a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist"

Well, apparently some of their customers do think otherwise, and in large enough numbers that IKEA, like any business worth its salt, considered offering them a solution for this.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Will avoid, lesson already learned

Years back I bought ikea furniture for my lounge. A few years after I bought a new TV (this should already be ringing warning bells!) and needed a new TV stand to take it.

So off I went to ikea, and it was all good. They still sold the same range, and they had a nice TV stand in roughly the right size. Got it home, assembled it, put TV on it, stepped back...

And it was pink. WTF! My other furniture was a nice warm, orange-ish wood colour, but this was a definite pink. Not just a little off-colour, but a totally different colour, and pink. I'm sorry but I'm just not having a pink TV stand.

Took it back, and was told that the colour of everything varies depending on the batch, so if you buy something a year later there's a fair chance it'll be pink. You have a choice of having a pink piece of furniture in your room, or replacing the whole lot. Throw in all your AV kit because it's built-in and that could get very expensive very fast.

1. Danny 14

Re: Will avoid, lesson already learned

Well wood is a natural product and does change colour depending on the source. This is hardly ikea's fault is it.

1. Mike Brown

did you not notice when you were biulding it? i know ikea stuff is so easy you can put it together with your eyes closed, but your not really ment to.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No, there wasn't much space in the room, and there was lots of space in the dining room. And it was on wheels so it was easy to drag through.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wood varies, yes. What ikea sells (or 95% of it at any rate) isn't wood - it's chipboard with a plasticy coating, printed with a wood pattern. If it was wood I could understand, but surely they can buy the same colour paint each year?

1. bluesxman
          FAIL

If you buy the cheapest of the cheap, maybe. But if you spend a little more you'll find the things like look like wood are chipboard with a veneer coating, with a naturally occurring wood pattern.

2. Elmer Phud

Had this once with a dining table leaf - it was a different finish to the other one.

Took it back , replaced, went home - right one but damged.

Took it back -replaced, opened there and then, wrong finish -- but noticed that the packing was slightly different between the two finishes.

Chat wth manager and we went and checked - yup, we could tell which finish by which factory had packed them.

Sorted - actually good service as they were happy to go beyond "It fits" or "it's the right code" or "replace or refund". It helped a lot that I wasn't one of the screaming complainants who had done stupid things and were blaming it all on the returns staff . Been on that side if it, symapthy helps.

To be honest - I'd prefer Ikea for someting like that than one of these cheapish beds with a flat screen on a lift.

6. Malcolm 2
    Pint

My wife will love it

Like many good ideas, a blindingly obvious way to go if done well. No need to buy an expensive piece of furniture just to cut holes in to accomodate all of those annoying cables. A lot will depend on the quality of the electronics.

7. Whitter
    Unhappy

It's great to see such worthwhile innovation comming out of this wee gem a of a charity.

No wonder nobody taxes them.

http://www.economist.com/node/6919139

8. Tkane

new version of gramaphone sideboard

Is this not just a new version of the old gramaphone sideboards our parents used to have

complete with the boxes to store the vinyl in ?

no new ideas just recycled ones

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: new version of gramaphone sideboard

Yep, and it'll have the same problems.

If you decide you want a new look for the room in three or four years time you don't just get rid of the old TV stand, you get rid of all of your equipment too.

Or if the TV breaks down in a few years you have to carry the whole unit to the repair shop (or replace all of your kit).

9. Tkane

new version of gramaphone sideboard

is this just a new version of the old gramaphone sideboards our parents used to have with shelves for the vinyl

1. Bakunin
      Coat

Re: new version of gramaphone sideboard

"no new ideas just recycled ones"

Was that double post a self referential joke?

Mines the one with the coat in the pocket.

10. Jon Massey
    FAIL

PAP?

yeah, that's about right...

11. Colin Wilson 2

It's called a Radiogram

Funny how things stay the same. My Gran had a Radiogram - or Stereogram as it was very posh. Walnut veneer'ed cabinet with a Hi-Fi inside. Made by Dynatron I seem to remember.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      WTF?

Re: It's called a Radiogram

Damn. You beat me to it.

There's a telly in the mix...........a Televisiogram? Tell you what, let's just add a webcam and a Skype connection and call it an Interrossiter......

1. bowdie
        Joke

Re: It's called a Radiogram

ARE YOU BOYS COOKING UP THERE?

no

ARE YOU BOYS ASSEMBLING AN INTERROSSITER?

NO!

2. LinkOfHyrule
        Paris Hilton

Re: It's called a Radiogram / .....a Televisiogram?

Personally, my favourite is the stripogram.

12. Swedish Chef

Seems like a rather nice idea, but...

...what do I do a couple years down the line when I want a bigger TV or the Blu-ray player dies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what do I do a couple years down the line

It's from Ikea. You sweep up the remaining bits and sprinkle them on the garden as compost.

13. Dave 126

Hmmm, I'd rather have Korean or Japanese equipment built in! Nice enough idea, but would prefer cabinets with integrated VESA pillars, incorporating a cable conduit.

It's going to be a poor (wo)man's Bang and Olufsen, but at least B&O's panels are made by Phillips.

IKEA are alright... 15 quid gets you a cabinet thing on wheels that accommodates hi-fi separates perfectly : D

1. TeeCee Gold badge

"...but at least B&O's panels are made by Phillips."

I reckon Ikea's stuff is also made by Philips. They always used to have Philips' kit dotted around their showrooms. These days it looks like the same stuff with Ikea badging stuck on it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

stick to the basics

ikea you make honest basic furniture, but his is trying way too hard.

And the TV market? not even sony can make money out of it!

15. bluesxman
    WTF?

Title as icon

What exactly makes them think I want to take my (fairly) slim and (reasonably) moveable plasma TV and replace it with a fucking sideboard?

16. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Does it have a radio as well?

Someone ought to tell the cameraman he's been using daylight bulbs with tungsten film... Seriously, I know that Hollywood is in love with that overdone turquoise look, but *that* is just ridiculous.

As for the whole sideboard concept- yeah, it's a bit retro, but not in a way I think has any cachet at the minute. It just looks like a quaint relic from some middle class home of the 60s. And is the integration so important that it's worth going with some unknown noname brand?

17. Some Beggar
    Meh

Ikea's business model works (or worked) really well because some time in the 1980s people decided that furniture was a consumable: buy cheap and replace often. I suspect that model might be breaking with people moving back to the prudent grandmother model of buying decent stuff less often and looking after it. So it makes some sort of sense to integrate consumer electronics because they still have a pretty fast replacement cycle.

The idea of replacing a sideboard just because I want to upgrade my telly brings me out in a cold working class miser sweat.

18. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Only an hours drive to the nearest Swedish IKEA...

Think I'll check it out, but IKEA always reminds me of...

http://funnypicturesplus.com/ikea-job-interview-please-have-a-seat.html

19. Toastan Buttar
    Childcatcher

Radiogram

You wouldn't believe how much I want a radiogram. That rounded, wooden sound? Oh yeah.

Kids theses days with their MP3s on top-endy mobies. I want BASS goddamit!

1. Some Beggar

Re: Radiogram

I've got an old 78 player in a cherry cabinet with louvre doors for the volume. It even has wooden needles that you can re-sharpen with a natty little guillotine.

You don't get a more wooden sound than that. Unless you can actually press platters out of ebony.

Oh man ... can you press platters out of ebony? I'd totally out-hipster everybody if I had wooden records.

20. Christian Berger

Hmm, mass produced AV equipment...

Have you ever looked at Ikeahacks? Now just imagine that with their AV equipment... :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like