back to article China warns domestic mobile phone makers of IP dangers

China’s IT ministry has warned domestic handset makers to beware of getting sucked into the escalating number of intellectual property disputes currently disrupting the smartphone industry. A white paper (Chinese) issued by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology’s China Academy of Telecommunication Research argued …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bless 'em

How can you get dragged in to IP cases when you have consistently ignored or copied IP and designs for years with no legal recourse from their court systems for trampled on foreign parties?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Bless 'em

In China - you probably cannot.

Elsewhere - you definitely can.

Chinese handset manufacturing has grown sufficiently to spill out on the world stage. That is when the fun begins.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It does sound a bit like they're trying to put the genie back in the bottle. I gather that even internally there are problems with Chinese firms ripping off other Chinese firms' designs.

And as for the flood of fake electronic components pouring out of China, oh dear me. Some of the things you see really make me wonder if the fakers ever stop to work out whether or not it would be more profitable to just develop their own brand.

Remember the contaminated milk scandal? Dreadful events, dead babies, culprits executed. How stupid would you have to be to try that trick again? Yep, it happened again in 2010.

Given how economically powerful China is now, just imagine how strong they'd be if they all played by the rules properly...

1. Chris Ashworth

"I gather that even internally there are problems with Chinese firms ripping off other Chinese firms' designs."

You think? :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

China is transforming itself into a maker of high-value products. Think of companies such as Huawaei, ZTE or Haier.

These already have global reach and they make tons of money. The Chinese government understands that more growth comes from these corporations, not more dirt-cheap, low quality ripoffs. They understand what IP is and already develop their own on a large scale, if you just look at Huawei and ZTE.

So they are forward looking to the day Chinese companies will have their self-developed IP and sell it in all sorts of markets in Europe, the US, BRIC states and so on. Don't think they are stupid. After all the Chinese government is consists almost completely of engineers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Errata

Edit fsckup: The Chinese government executives are mainly trained as engineers. I meant that.

1. EJ

Re: Errata

Well, that would explain why they're such bad dressers.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like