back to article Paddy Power website fell at Grand National first fence

Irish betting behemoth Paddy Power is giving out a free bet to customers after its website crashed for 20 minutes just before the Grand National horse race on Saturday. Sheer traffic on the day sent the site falling at the first fence and only getting its legs again 15 minutes before the race. Some punters told The Reg they …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. GrumpyJoe
    Thumb Down

Seriously?

This kind of thing seems to happen regularly, interest drums up, site goes down.

Hasn't anything changed? The BIG news item will be when a website DOESN'T go down under massive stress...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously?

BREAKING NEWS

Ladbrokes, William Hill, Bet 365, Betfair, Betdaq etc etc didn't go down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ladbrokes

I couldn't get my bet on using the mobile app, so I had to phone the call centre who took my name, bet and card details and WROTE THEM DOWN ON PAPER because they said THEIR systems weren't up either and that they might be putting the bet on for me AFTER the race has finished...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Ladbrokes

Yup Ladbrokes, definitely had problems, we couldn't get a bet registered on their site right up to the point just before the horses lined up. We phoned in and just as a CS rep answered the site suddenly started working.

2. Stephen Melrose
        Thumb Up

Re: Seriously?

Their response times did however go through the roof. Sky Bet however seemed to work like a charm through out.

2. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

Dead Horses

I think if animals are dying every time you do a sport, you aught to look into changing it. There's a reason we don't have dog/cock fighting any more.

1. Anonymous Coward 101
      Thumb Up

Re: Dead Horses

That's nothing. Animals die every time I have a hot meal, and I'm not looking at changing it.

1. Thomas 18
        Trollface

Right, because humane cattle slaughter is totally the same. The only sports where the death of an animal is the objective are bull fights, fox hunts and dog fights.

If you think the risk of injury makes the sport better then you should be cheering the death of Piermario Morosini. It means we've raised football to the level where the physical exertion required can kill. Truly a sport of kings.

1. Elmer Phud

Next time (insert name of most personally disliked footballer here) goes crook - shoot the bugger!

They cost too much to look after.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatively

The old DDOS extortion racket on gambling sites could be coming back....

4. Pete the not so great
    FAIL

I tried to give PP some money...

But my horse died.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paddy Powerdown

Placed a bet on the Irish lotto with them a couple of weeks ago but couldn't access the betting slip in my account due to a problem affecting all browsers that IT were looking into but could not advise when it would be fixed.

Pop up screen was coming up but had no content.

Site seems shoddily built, bit like a driveway built by a irish Tinker (the bad form of traveller)

1. Valiant

Re: Paddy Powerdown

>> Site seems shoddily built, bit like a driveway built by a irish Tinker (the bad form of traveller)

Which is the good form?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Paddy Powerdown

Do you want to buy some clothes pegs dearie?

6. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

All bets are off.

How's about betting on which betting engines will crash before a major event? Has that been done?

This topic is closed for new posts.