back to article Fanboys frolic on recyled rumours of Q3 iPad Mini debut

Take care with fresh claims that Apple will have an 'iPad Mini' out in Q3: they seem to be simply repeating a similar claim made back in March. Then, Taiwanese moles said the Mac maker would have the scaled-down iPad out in the third quarter - or at least launched within that three-month period. These claims echo rumours …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromearth

Needs a name

iPadlet

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Needs a name

iPantyliner

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Needs a name

iPod Touch?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soooooo

an Iphone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Soooooo

or iPod Touch

1. Darryl

Re: Soooooo

Nah, the iPod Touch will be renamed the iPad Nano

3. Andrew James

current iPad2 screen res of 1024x768 shrunken down to an 8" screen ... whats the ppi on that? Better, obviously, but how much better?

It would make selling 2 ipads make more sense than the current system of "have this one thats shiney and now, or this one thats from last year and just makes you look a bit cheap to your friends". At least "portability" would be a better justification for buying lower spec.

1. qwarty

Nail, head, they need to expand the product range and iPad 2 sure makes buyer look cheap. I expect 7.5/8" and 12/13" models to hit streets within a year. ppi = sufficient at typical view/use distance on a pocket iPad.

4. ItsNotMe
    Thumb Up

Newer rumor...heard that a 30" version was in the works also. Great for myopic types.

Can't wait for that one. Saw the patent application online yesterday...somewhere.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Sorry...Steve said it will never happen...so move along please...nothing to see here.

"The reason we won't make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit that price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software."

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/10/steve-jobs-apple-wont-make-7-inch-ipad.html

6. Lusty

I don't understand

The iPad is a similar price to the iPhone, why would a device with similar spec between the two sizes be cheaper? Also why would they drop the price when there isn't any competition in the market?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I don't understand

The iPhone is pricey because it includes a phone!

iPads are pricey because people will pay that and because bigger screens cost

A replacement for the ageing iPod touch priced at a point that stops anyone else entering the market sounds like good sense. And it drags in nice profitable appstore and iTunes customers who couldn't afford a $500 iPad and might be looking at Androids

2. jubtastic1

Re: I don't understand

Because it makes use of existing cheaper tech than the stuff used in the 4S and iPad3, an iPad mini would be based on an ipad2 but with the same screen process (cut larger) used in the 3GS, materials costs are similarly reduced and the battery can be smaller (cheaper) than the iPad2.

I suspect the margins will be lower, although they'll still make money on them, but at a $250 price point they'll compete directly with Amazon who at this point is the only other player in the Tablet market that has the ability to threaten iOS.

7. a_been
    Boffin

Fanboys frolic on recyled rumours of Q3 iPad Mini debut

Shouldn't that be :

El reg frolics on recyled rumours of Q3 iPad Mini debut again

8. Local Group
    Happy

The iPud Wanker

It touches all the bases.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There was a young(ish) fanboi called Reg

There was a young(ish) fanboi called Reg,

Whose wallet was bursting with wedge.

He said, 'If only I had,

A smaller iPad,

I'd be tastier than meat and two veg'.

Aye thang yow.

10. Robert Forsyth

iBook

Two 7" side by side with a sort of hinge thing in the middle.

It could have lots of very thin double sided screens, all secured at the hinge.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like