back to article HP ships hack-friendly all-in-one

HP has begun shipping its easy-to-upgrade all-in-one desktop PC, the Z1, worldwide, the computer giant said today. HP Z1 The 27in, 2560 x 1440, one-billion colour screen machine packs a clamshell casing that allows hardware hackers the crack the Z1 open to add and replace its inner workings. Aimed at punters needing serious …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

ew YUK

Funny how for years compaq and now HP seemed bent on making system that became more and more less upgradable and now they say they have something that is like a proper PC but isn't. Packing everything into the back of a monitor does somewhat tie them to that monitor and alas makes that aspect one they cant upgrade. It's like a laptop but not a laptop, it's upgradable but not upgradable. It's bloody horrible and anybody thinking about this should just admit they want to buy a mac and be done with it.

1. Jamie Kitson

Re: ew YUK

True, but HP do make some nice screens. Although I notice that it's even more expensive than an iMac.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ew YUK

> ... more and more less upgradable ...

Eh? Yeah, but no, but yeah, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Compaq

Had my fill of trying to upgrade those in ~1987 with a DeskPro 286e that hated every single memory module I fed it.

Swore never to use Compaq again, and never have. To Compaq,' compatible' and 'upgradeable' is negotiable

3. Buzzword

Staggering?

£1349 sounds reasonable, considering that the 27" iMac starts at £1,399 (admittedly with a Core i5 rather than an i3).

1. the-it-slayer
      Linux

Re: Staggering?

By the way, that £1349 is ex.VAT. Anyone serious enough to buy one from home might as well get an iMac which already has double RAM, double HD, better OS (IMHO), better graphics at less of the cost (£1399 inc.VAT). Why would you even start with 2GB RAM for Windows 7 64-bit? That's ridiculous.

"video editors, industrial designers" - you need more than an internal graphics chip, 2GB RAM to do that! You'll prob end up spending £700 upgrading the damn thing before you even start. Good try HP, better luck next time.

4. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Up

Linux: Q2 2012

As usual, you have to read the small print: the Linux options are nowhere to be seen when you go to the shopping site and the reason is to be found in the notes on the detailed tech specs: "Linux available 2nd calendar quarter 2012 (CQ2'12)"

Having said this, it looks like a very nice machine for its target audience. Granted, it's got the same downside as any other all-in-one in the sense that the screen is non-replaceable but for customers for whom desk space is at a premium and who would otherwise be tempted by an iMac, it looks like a good alternative. A good compromise between a desktop/tower design and other all-in-one designs methinks.

For those saying "it's not as upgradable as X" or "not as cheap as Y" or "not as slick looking as Z", you are probably right. Just remember that very few people have a single requirement in mind when buying a computer so a design that provides a good compromise between several conflicting requirements is usually a winner.

Finally, it's an HP. Good news for some, bad news for others. My (limited) experience with HP hardware is that their consumer stuff is crap while their business/professional offering is a bit dull but is solid and works very well.

Interesting toy anyway!

5. P. Lee
    Paris Hilton

Wot?

No 10Gbit thunderbolt?

No dodeca-core xeon like a mac pro?

It isn't consumer kit, but it also isn't pro kit either.

6. Dave 126 Silver badge

Form factor

If desk space is really such a big issue, why have we not seen a 'flat-tower' form-factor, as a compromise between a bulky tower and a tied-to-a-monitor all-in-one? It would look like a bit like vertical PlayStation 2 Slim or overgrown 'net top', and use convection (and its greater surface area) to help those little fans. Being placed further back, behind the monitor, the noise of all those little fans and 10k rpm HDDs would be less of a strain on the user.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Compaq Presario

This Apple-wannabe reminds me of the old Compaq all in one years ago that looked a bit like a Mac "Molar".

8. Miguel Farah
    Thumb Up

The monitor better be REAL good.

This is more of a "working monitor" than an actual PC.

Seems nice, until you see how little it's *really* got in the expansion department: "4 slots: 1 PCIe x16 full, 3 miniPCIe" (quoted from HP's website).

A computer that gets upgraded in a regular fashion will at some point be limited by this. When the supplied graphics won't cut it anymore, the one PCIe slot will be taken up, and the user will have to hope to be able to get miniPCIe cards for whatever he needs (firewire, SCSI, USB4, etc.).

That said, if the monitor is actually as good as I expect (it IS an IPS) , I want one of those machines. NOW. :-)

9. Christian Berger

Makes senses as a Unix(oid) workstation

Just like old workstations, upgrading them isn't really much of an issue as you already buy them with proper specs. 10 Gig Ethernet would have been nice and probably more useful than accelerated graphics.

Well the graphics and the availability with Windows gets the costs down, by opening it up to gamers.

Again I don't see much sense in things like firewire, SCSI or fast USB. It's not supposed to be an IO server.

10. King Jack
    Thumb Down

Looks good until...

You connect things to it. It will look awful with usb, mains, network, wires coming out of it. Yet they mange to show it running with nothing connected.

1. Christian Berger

Re: Looks good until...

Well those are renders anyhow. And in the typical situation you'll only have mains and Ethernet connected, maybe keyboard or mouse if you won't like wireless ones.

It's a bit like those Sparc Laptops which were around about a decade ago.

http://www.sparcproductdirectory.com/portabl2.html

Yes, they had USB, but nobody cared that it didn't work.

Those ports are only there to attract the gamers so more of those boxes get sold, so it'll be cheaper for the people who actually know what to do with it.

11. YARR
    Devil

Comes with Windows Vista...

.... judging by the 3rd photo.

1. Graham 24

Re: Comes with Windows Vista...

...or Windows 7 with "Use small icons" selected in the Taskbar property page.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like