back to article Printers SMASHED to bits in Office Space copycat revenge vid

Of all the devices making our working lives harder, printers take top billing. Never mind computers that crash mid-PowerPoint or smartphones that inexplicably can’t find the network – these, at least, are complicated, multi-function devices with a lot going on. But printers? These have one job and one job only: put ink on paper …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

> "the Office Space machine takedown to Geto Boys' Damn it feels good to be a gangsta"

Nope, that's a different scene. Not that I could name the track in the actual scene, that stuff all sounds a bit samy to me.

1. Tiny Iota
      Holmes

Yep

Yep, it’s the same group but i think it's the track "Still"

1. JetSetJim
        Headmaster

Re: Yep

Shazam confirms "Still" by the Geto Boys (took two tries though)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

their collectively lousy sledge-hammer technique leaves a lot to be desired ...

1. mark 63 Silver badge
      Facepalm

sledge

I let rip on a 970cxi with a sledgehammer once .

Immediately regretted it - there were a thousand teeny ink coverd bits of plactic to clean up.

3. Tiny Iota
    Pint

Replying to my own post

But I just realised I should really get out more. http://xkcd.com/386/

4. Miek
    Linux

There's nothing more satisfying than putting your foot through a printer that the computer claims it "cannot see". "It's right bloody there!" --THWACK!

5. James 93
    Meh

Learn to swing an axe properly!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

alternatively...

We could combine two Reg stories and have:

Nude lady recreates Printer Smashing tantrum scene in Dead Inkjet

7. KJB
    Boffin

If you want something doing...

All this made me want to do is smash up a printer, properly.

Slow-mo the video and dress it up with dubstep all you want; these misguided axe/hammer attempts have left me frustrated more than anything.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I got caught

Giving the printer/copier the double v's whilst growling 'for fucks sake' recently.

My colleagues reply? Aren't you supposed to be technical staff? Stupid printer.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big fella at about 2:30, lucky he didn't take the head clean off that hammer. I wouldn't want to be swinging that around after he's had a go.

I must be about the only one thinking shame about the nice lengths of ground bar and phosphor bushes biting the dust there. Unless I'm mistaken the controller board in the very first one will have a white ceramic cased 64-pin Motorola 68k which would fetch a few quid in its own right on Ebay. Collectors like the white ones FSR.

10. Clive Galway

Meh

I came across a rather an amusing homage to the Office Space printer scene in one of Birgirpall's excellent BF3 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1ynhiv4Bk&list=UU7dlaP4GdMn7kBnsEDKupuQ&index=21&feature=plcp about a minute in.

For those not in the know, the tripod thingie is a SOFLAM (Laser Designator).

11. Lance S
    FAIL

Poor technique

by my mostly uninterested estimates -- these people hit the printer with the handle of the axes / hammers 75% of the time. Imagine how much better they would have felt if they could actually employ the business part of the implement

12. Timo

Michael Bolton too

"PC LOAD LETTER? WTF is PC LOAD LETTER????"

That movie Office Space - it should have won "best documentary" the year it was released.

1. Sooty
      Trollface

Re: Michael Bolton too

Makes a bit more sense if you use A4 paper like the rest of the world though :p

2. N2

PC = Paper Cassette - thats the thingy where you put the paper - load letter

It simply means you have told the printer to print in letter sized paper when it normally uses A4

1. mark 63 Silver badge
        Flame

I watched printers go from the little toilet roll of thermal paper that came with a zx spectrum to a Monster HP laserjet 9000 that'll do 5000 pages a day indefinately.

... and yet no-one ever seems to have worked out a way of thelling the printer:

JUST USE THE GODDAM A4 THATS IN YOUR F***ING DRAWER!!!!!!!!!

13. NomNomNom

After killing five printers they will level up and can increase their hammer/axe skills so they miss less, plus they'll get a 2% chance of scoring a critical hit.

1. Decius

You'd think that geeks would have hammer and ax proficiency already. Or at least favoured enemy: printer.

14. MrT
    Facepalm

Did no-one think to go...

... dressed as Stewie or Brian? Or covered in Post-It's?

< Icon for the HSE rules that meant goggles for all...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Did no-one think to go...

Yep, industry standard technique is to close eyes and turn away before hammer hits target.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Did no-one think to go...

More disturbed by the printer over their heads, tbh.

That bit was genuinely dangerous.

15. Mondo the Magnificent
    Mushroom

What?

No explosives involved? Pffft...

1. Peter Stone
      Happy

Re: What?

I know, where are the Mythbusters when you need them?

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: What?

Hmm, or some sort of trebuchet

(Northern Exposure, with a piano, action starts at 1:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgt-HO0_kY

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And I thought it was just me with the irrational loathing of printers!

When my last printer's terminal fuckwittedness finally earned it the death penalty, I poured methylated spirits into its insides and set it alight, before sending through a valedictory print job.

Ironically, this seemed to help and the wee bastard did actually start printing more immediately and with more enthusiasm than usual —for a few minutes anyway— before grinding to a halt with an almost animal sounding squeak from its smoking nether regions.

The printer before that got run over by my van several times, when its 'signal to pissing me off' ratio got too much.

It's the only language they understand!

1. alan buxey
      Joke

...only language they understand?

I think you'll find thats PCL6 ;-)

17. alan buxey
    Flame

clean hit...

as others have said...shame they couldnt hit the printers properly with the business end of those tools. i think with a good strike with the long-handled axe you could go clean through an HP.

next video, VIVA LA REVOLUTION! stick those blue-blooded printers into madame Guillotine! ;-)

18. DJO Silver badge
    Meh

There's things worse than printers out there....

I've never really had a huge number of problems with printers, scanners on the other hand hardly ever work mainly because TWAIN is a poorly implemented piece of festering excrement.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like