back to article Google boss points to low-end tablet for fight with Amazon

Google has hinted that it's rumoured forthcoming tablet will compete with Amazon's Kindle Fire rather than high-end slates such as Apple's iPad 3. The online advertising giant's CEO, Larry Page, told financial analysts that Google believes there will be "a lot of success at the lower end" of the tablet market, Mobile Today …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob

Perhaps that might stick a rocket up Amazons arse to get the Fire released in Europe before Google swipe their prospective customers.

1. R 11

I doubt Amazon will be too bothered. They're likely to keep a decent share of the market with their Kindle Fire and their Kindle reader app will be on the Google Tablet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think Europeans are too smart to fall for the Amazon Fire, now with added "gimped Android". It's only in tech-illiterate America could they get away with that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

ha

Your easy impertinence amuses me. While I agree that Olivetti is a fine company, you do realize that you pay significantly more for your better-late-than-never tech, don't you? I'm going to go listen to Google Music now. Care to join me? Oh, wait... sorry.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: ha

Have Google Music just fine here... It's called a proxy during signup.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google has no chance against the mighty Amazon, especially for a low-end device whose profit margins will depend on selling content.

Sounds like a commercial suicide from the start. I hope Google's partners are aware of this, lest they fall into the same trap as Logitech and Google TV.

It's a completely different market from selling mobiles, where you have networks subsidising most of the cost.

1. PyLETS
      WTF?

Google don't need high margins

Shipping hundreds of millions of devices each of which expands their search and related revenue, they can afford to shift hardware at margins of pennies per unit and it still improves profitability of their core business. People who thought Android was commercial suicide said the same thing and were equally wrong. Similar model to ARM - get others to do the manufacturing and marketing, sell enough devices and you only need pennies per unit. As to networks subsidising the cost that's just an up-front credit driven sale, and plenty of people like me prefer to buy mobiles outright on PAYG and then switch these onto contracts because they prefer to own their own hardware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Google don't need high margins

Here's some commercial suicide

http://www.cio.com.au/article/420836/htc_q1_profit_sinks_by_70_per_cent/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/28/motorola-mobility-reports-56-million-net-loss-in-q2-3-3-billi/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/lg-posts-a-net-loss-for-q3-loses-ground-in-mobile-sales/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC 14:52

I don't get it... Are you saying HTC, Moto, LG lost money because of Android? If so, how do you explain this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/27/samsung_fourth_quarter_profit/

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Someone has to win for others to loose. It's worked for Samsung not the others

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Shipping hundreds of millions of devices each of which expands their search and related revenue, they can afford to shift hardware at margins of pennies per unit and it still improves profitability of their core business."

So, this will improve on the current situation where most of their mobile revenue comes from Apple devices?

2. DrXym

Google sell content too you know. In fact they're in pretty much the same business when it comes to putting stuff to put on tablets.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Clearly

You haven't seen how shit the Amazon Android store is, it's barren and has lots of old versions off apps.

You can't install the proper Google Market (AKA Play Store) on a Kindle Fire.

Sorry, but consumers are waking up to the fact they wasted their cash on a Kindle Fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Clearly

That's why we tech-illiterate Americans sideload. Just saying.

http://lifehacker.com/5860792/sideload-android-apps-on-a-kindle-fire

4. R 11

Don't you think Apps are content? There were 11 billion app downloads in the first three months of this year.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

11 billion apps?

Mostly free apps.

Face it guys, app market - especially for low cost devices - is peanuts compared to music+books+video.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

How much?

As someone already pointed out elsewhere on el reg there is the Ployer momo9 now at 72 quid. P&P extra. As well as a decent selection of others for less the 100

1. Mike Brown

Re: How much?

indeed. i just bought one. At £72 it seems to be a steal. Googles nexus slab will have to be mighty cheap to beat it.

1. thesykes

It has to be cheap, but not necessarily cheaper.

The problem the Momo has is that you can't go into a shop any buy one easily, and this is what Google have got to sort out.

Go into any High Street electrical retailer and the iPad is there, as it is in phone shops, department stores and even supermarkets.

Google have got to get these things into all those places, get high visibility, get the advertising right, get the public aware that they exist and what they can do.

Make them high quality, a good screen, fast processor, plenty of storage, no bloatware, good connectivity, decent battery. Make them desirable.

That will create the market demand, it will also show the other Android tablet manufacturers of the way forward... stop pricing the things too high, let Apple have the premium end of the market, let Android take the value end. Google make money from advertising, not hardware sales, so, selling millions of cheap tablets makes more sense to them than a few thousand expensive ones.

Get tablets out there with standard, bloatware-free Android on them, easy to update and not slowed down by useless crap, and maybe we can also benefit from that idea being rolled in to phones.... please!

1. DrXym

Getting them into shops is half the battle. The other half is displaying them in a way which makes them attractive and desirable. If you walk into a PC World and compare the display set up for the Apple stuff against the display set for the rest and there is no comparison. The Apple display is well lit, the tablets are in good working order and frequently reset.

By comparison the Android tablets are covered in finger prints and trashed by people dragging stuff around or the wifi is turned off or they're pin protected.

The Android tablets aren't being sold in a way conducive to actually selling them. Just improving the presentation would do wonders for sales. I hope if Google does push a tablet they remember this and don't end up with their tablet sat on a row with the other tablets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crapware

Hopefully being supplied by the OS producer will mean less crapware pre-installed. Especially given that you can;t usually uninstall android crapware without rooting the device.

1. PaulR79

Re: Crapware

From Android 4 (yes I know..) you can disable bundled apps and preinstalled crap. One of the first things I did when I got my HTC One X was disable Stocks and Teeter. Damn I hate Teeter..... it just won't die!

5. thomas k.

re: how much?

Like the $99.99 EPad in the advertisement directly adjacent to your comment.

Spooky.

6. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Good

I think to target the low-end, Google's efforts in Jelly Bean might well be focused on performance and particularly code bloat (ICS is rather large compared with Gingerbread). And that will help everyone, not just the low end.

7. Anonymous Coward 101

Just get one of the cheap Android tablets being sold on Amazon now - they're great!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yay!

I'm going to convert one into a heads-up dashboard display for my Austin Montego.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If...

the spec is right (7in 1024 x 600, 1.5GHz dual core, 1GB RAM, 8GB min storage, microSD expansion, HDMI & front-facing camera, Ice Cream Sandwich) and the price (target is apparently $200) then it'll sell like hotcakes

Asus get the volume, Google the add revenue and the income from the Play Store which is fast becoming a decent music/book/video sales portal (at least it will when the music store comes to Europe).

Could even outsell the Kindle

9. bailey86

Apt-x?

If it comes with apt-x then they may have a chance - CD quality music streaming from a tablet is what I'm waiting for.

The Creative tablet has it - but it does not have access to Android apps store (Play Store).

10. FredScummer
    Headmaster

Android

I treated myself to an Android based tablet a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I have never been a tablet worshipper I have to admit that it has changed my life.

I was never up for spending megabucks on Apple's tablet, and the Amazon Kindle Fire was received by me with what I can only describe as a lukewarm response. Paying Amazon money so that they can collect my surfing habits in their DNS servers, which they can then sell and turn around and hit me with targetted junk mail was not my idea of a good arrangement.

My Android (with the latest Ice Cream Sandwich) has instant access to literally thousands of utility programs - many of which are completely free of charge. And those I have to pay for mostly come with a cost of less than a cup of decent coffee. And I can read my Kindle documents on this tablet no problem, using the free Android Kindle application.

11. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Disappointing

This may be a great idea or a big mistake. All the google phones have been flagship examples of what android can do with the best possible hardware. This is likely to be google's version of the playbook: something that just shows what a heap of bloatware Android is. I see the commercial logic, but I'm not sure this will help their (or Android's) reputation-this won't impress people the way google search or gmail or maps or earth or chrome or their online services have.

Going further: this is google's admission of defeat. Conceding that Android is the cheap option they can only give away.

12. Alex G
    Happy

review please

per Sparkster's comments on the Ployer device - would *love* a Reg hardware review of this and some of the similar low price tablets

http://www.reghardware.com/Design/graphics/icons/comment/happy_32.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like