back to article India orders 7.5 million Microsoft cloud services

The All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has just handed Microsoft it's biggest order for cloudy wares, in the form of a deal that will see seven million students and half a million staff hook up to the Redmond cloud. AICTE is the Indian government's agency charged with developing and delivering technical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More vendor lock-in

They should be working to reduce vendor lock-in, by educating people in using something else than the standard Microsoft cruft. Can't say I'm surprised though, Microsoft have deep pockets and if there is any country that is corrupt it's India.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: More vendor lock-in

For all their ills MS do produce some decent office software. Yes, it could be better, but most people do use it. I have tried for many years all the alternatives, and for various reasons keep on coming back to MS. Office 365 is definitely one of the best things MS have ever done.

Kids / students need to learn skills that will help them get jobs quickly. If they want to faff around with something else in their spare time then great, but having MS skills on a CV is DEFINITELY a selling point, and being able to explain what they can do with those skills during an interview is even more important. I'm not saying that other IT skills ans solutions are not important, quite the contrary, but for the average Jo(e) learning MS at school is a good idea.

2. Mikel
    WTF?

Leap year

The next leap year isn't due until 2016 so they should be good for a while. Unless the programmers forgot something else...

3. MJI Silver badge

Miocrsoft

Just seeing who they were (RSS feed)

4. Levente Szileszky

Hah, as long as they have electricity...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Muhahaha

Office 365 is a joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Re: Muhahaha

Troll.

Have you actually used it for REAL work? If so, specifically what where the problems that you experienced?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Re: Muhahaha

I just tried to format headings. There is no such functionality. I can only make it bold, change font etc.

Most importantly, I tried to edit a 100 page document in firefox, which resulted in a frozen browser which complained about a "script running too long" after a while.

6. NeverYouMind
    Happy

Live@Edu...

...Is surprisingly good. My Uni switched from internal MS Exchange to L@E and most students much prefer it.

I like the fact that its based on MS Exchange rather than the Hotmail backend (even though you log in through a Hotmail frontend).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Live@Edu...

Not tried Edu, but Office 365 is excellent.

2. Peter Murphy
      Thumb Up

My uni also has a Live@Edu mail service, but all the staff I've spoken to about it dislike the thing. The whole "Microsoft Outlook" interface feels like going back 10 years, especially when it often hung accessing it through Firefox.

The advice I got was to access Live@Edu through a third party interface. The librarians even helped me set up Gmail to log on and download my email without touching the Outlook interface ever again. Now that's what I call service.

1. Dave Perry
        Thumb Up

A tad off topic maybe, but my Gmail pulls in about 10 different accounts. If only they wouldn't say 'delivered for address@externaldomain.net via gmail' - might put my domain that has some of the accounts onto free google apps to avoid that.

7. b166er
    FAIL

Considering Office 365 ranges from a very simple mailbox, up to Office 2010 Pro, Lync, Sharepoint and Exchange with Forefront (and includes on premise CAL's for those products so you can federate with a local server), which version is it exactly that you're bashing Cantennas?

Did you not read what the Office Web Apps element of Office 365 was/wasn't capable of?

Reading not your strong point?

Just accept, that Microsoft's Office is a great productivity tool for the majority of office work and that the accompanying tools make the management of that office work simpler too.

The fact that you can now get all this as a managed service from the publisher is an absolute win for any small business that was previously relying on Small Business Server and that's just for starters.

If you're in charge of purchasing 7.5 million units of anything, don't you think you made some real research first? I guess you just can't stomach that Microsoft's offering might in fact be the best option. But then that's why you're not in charge of purchasing 7.5 million units of anything isn't it?

As for vendor lock-in, how exactly?

It's a subscription service you dullard.

More tired old Microsoft bashing.

You show me a more integrated elegant office productivity solution that's available as a managed service by subscription at that price point, Go on, I double dare you.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

@As for vendor lock-in, how exactly?

Why, if your browser agent is set to report IE, will it attempt to load an ActiveX plug-in?

The old MS trick of favouring IE/Windows all over again, rather than being web standards compliant?

Still, Google's web offering also sucks so its not like there is a vastly better offer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Stop

Re: @As for vendor lock-in, how exactly?

I think Paul Crawford says the same: both Google Docs and the "online" Office (whatever the exact terminology is) suck. They are extremely low-functional and they cannot handle large text documents.

The "old-style" office is a good product though, except for the Ribbon-pain-in-the-ass. What I would warn everybody of is to use VBA, though. It still contains a lot of impossible-to-reproduce bugs, which appear in one run, only to disappear in the next. Also, operations (such as drawing graphs) are snail-fast.

Write OpenXML directly, that is a reliable and extremely fast way to create office document from a program. Use a real programming language such as .Net, Java, Perl or Ada to create the xml.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like