back to article Spotify adds web button: Just push... Play

Spotify is launching a web widget that allows instant access to songs in its catalogue. As with SoundCloud, anyone can embed the Play button in their pages, from garden-shed bloggers to established web publishers. Only Spotify subscribers will be able to hear the song, however. And through some inexplicable technical sorcery, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Irongut

YouTube for music? lol

I've never understood why anyone would use YouTube for music. It's bad enough that MP3s, etc use lossy compression without using an old VHS recording of when a band was on Top of the Pops in the early 80s as your original source. Or does the Orlowski household only listen to post-YouTube artists who have official videos posted?

2. Tiny Iota
    Black Helicopters

"There's very little that YouTube doesn't have"

Providing you’re not trying to access it on an iPhone/iPad where any official music videos are annoyingly missing. Would they prefer you to go to iTunes instead?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had a similar opinion of youtube for music until recently, actually go and give it an honest test. There is pretty much nothing that isnt on there. The older stuff will of course be awful quality but i can list 5 songs that ive heard on YouTube and quality was so awful, i hunted down either a 2nd hand vinyl or a legal digital version. Either way, the artist got money from me listening on you tube, then buying a digital version (okay so i screwed them on the vinyl but thats the way it goes)

Spotify just screws everyone with their 0.0012p per play royalty.

Anyway - back on topic.

This isnt a playing widget at all then is it? Its just a shortcut link to open the spotify app with a song or playlist attached? Nothing like what the soundcloud app does.

Is my hate for spotify showing? Yeah, thought so.

4. Quxy
    Facepalm

Web widgets??

I really wish that Spotify would prioritise some of their resources to fix their mobile apps -- for their paying subscribers -- before rolling out more web applications! Adding the music discovery features that the desktop client has long had would be a great start...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd take Soundcloud over spotify anyday, exciting new music from up and commers or... Bluurghhhh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like