back to article Dream:ON iPhone app-maker seeks sleepy fanbois for testing

A psychologist is asking iPhone owners to sleep with their iPhones on the bed in a test to see if sounds can influence dreams. Suggesting that the Jesus mobe owners might like to take part in a mass psychological experiment, the app is designed and introduced by British psychologist Professor Richard Wiseman who also describes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ed2020
    WTF?

Some strange options available...

The "On the Run" soundscape sounds like an odd option to make available. Why would I want to pay 59p for sounds to be played that may induce a dream of being on the run, and produce the associated feelings of tension?!

1. DuncanL
      Black Helicopters

Re: Some strange options available...

More to the point; why would you pay at all to do someone else's science for them? Time used to be that you'd at least get a cup of tea and a biscuit for helping out with a uni psych experiment. Now they want you to pay them for the privilege?

Or is that part of the experiment?....

1. Bronny

It's free!

2. Bronny

I attended the Science Festival talk (on the science of dreams) where the app was launched and the range of sound tracks included is in response to answers received by Prof Wiseman. He was expecting answers asking for soothing, relaxing themes but he received may requests for exciting, adventurous sounds as well, so that's why. And the app is free.

2. tommy060289
    Trollface

or perhaps just an opportunistic retailer

looking for some gullible punters...

3. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

Would the "Waterfall Scenario"..

..make people piss in their beds?

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Pint

Re: Would the "Waterfall Scenario"..

It would yes. Then the piss would go all over the iPhone and cause it stop working. The fanperson would then send it off to Apple for repair and be disappointed when greeted with the reply "Sorry but the little moisture sensor thingy inside the headphone jack has turned yellow - the Apple warranty dose not I am afraid cove piss related incidents"

Pint, because apart from ill health, pints are the leading cause of all piss related incidents in the home!

4. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Ian Ferguson has tagged Angelina Jolie in 34 Dream:ON™ dreams.

I'm pretty sure this has advertising potential, too. How much does the developer want to insert subtle whisperings about lovely refreshing Diet Coke?

5. jai

mattress type

there was another of these sleep monitoring apps. it would monitor your sleeping and adjust your alarm time so that it wouldn't interrupt you in the middle of REM sleep and so ensure you woke up refreshed rather than groggy. But it only works on standard mattresses. These funky and comfy memory foam mattresses that are all the rage these days dampen and absorb your movement, so the phone can't monitor your sleep patterns. I imagine this app will also fall foul.

6. Audrey S. Thackeray

Science

It would be better if the app selected the sounds at random and reported them back, then the dream reports could be compared with the sounds that were played and we'd have a chance of knowing if they had any influence.

If I select a particular soundtrack just before going to sleep how is anyone going to show it wasn't my choice, rather than the sounds, that influenced any dream I might have?

1. Bronny

Re: Science

Because that falls into the category of lucid dreaming, where you have real control over what you dream, and it's not that common.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one welcome..

Our Iphone sleep pattern manipulating zombie overlords...

:-)

AC/DC 6EQUJ5

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like