back to article Hands on with the Huawei Ascend G300 low-cost Android phone

Huawei continues its push into the UK market this week with the Ascend G300, an affordable smartphone with admirable specs given its entry-level status. Ahead of its Blighty launch this Friday, I was given a sneak preview of the device. First impressions are that the G300 is a lightweight, bog-standard blower yet sports an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Robson Silver badge
    Joke

Corners Cut???

Let's hope they're not curved ....

2. Audrey S. Thackeray

San Fran

Looks like this year's Orange San Francisco / ZTE Blade (for which BTW there are usable Ice Cream Sandwich ROMs) swapping the excellent screen (original OSF was 480x800 OLED) for a better processor (OSF 600MHz)

If this is nice and easy to unlock and root it should be as popular with the hacking / modding crowd.

1. Bassey

Re: San Fran

It is actually the same processor (Arm-7), just clocked up to 1GHz - so still no official Flash support. Also, I don't like the look of that back cover. My SanFran has proved itself to be pretty waterproof (mine gets used in Mountain Rescue as a navigation device and tracker beacon). With bloody great holes cut out of the the case for the camera lens and flash any tiny bit of moisture is going to kill this. Which is a shame as, low-res-screen not withstanding, it was looking pretty good.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Richard Wharram

Re: San Fran

Flash works fine on ARM7 if you are willing to fiddle.

3. Lunatik
    Boffin

4" screen at 480x320? That'd be like a 2007 digital photo frame. Hello Fuzz-O-Vision!

I do hope you mean WVGA instead of HVGA, i.e. 800x480 or similar.

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

D'oh... error fixed, cheers, I did indeed mean WVGA :-)

1. Audrey S. Thackeray

Well that makes it a lot like a faster version of the Blade which is definitely a Good Thing (although perhaps not in terms of battery life).

4. Dick Emery

Unlocked?

I am guessing not if exclusive to Vodaphone. Will they allow payment to unlock it though (Usually around £20-25)?

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Unlocked?

The company told us it would only be exclusive for 3 months. After that, though, the plans were very hush hush.

5. JDX Gold badge

£100

Seems rather a bargain to me.

1. paulc

Re: £100

not really, you're still stuck with at least 12 months contract... or more likely 24 months contract these days with a hefty penalty for unlocking it...

1. gribbler

Re: £100

Except it's 100 quid on PAYG. Read the article before you comment...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Full review please asap

Am in the market for a new payg handset. Was thinking about the San Fran 2 but this seems like a better choice.

7. Stefing

The San Fran II is also £100 - you can't go wrong really!

8. Steve Knox
    Thumb Up

"If you're tempted by the brand..."

Actually, I'm more tempted by the relative lack of a brand:

Huawei states that an Android 4.0 ICS patch is inbound this summer and as the UI customisation is minimal, apparently it can be implemented quicker and easier than some rivals.

I wish more Android manufacturers would stop messing with a good thing (and usually making it a crappy thing) with their attempts to "own" the UI.

9. DUNCAN E.

Perfect Phone for other family members

Had a Pulse and OSF and unlocked a OMC

The low end Androids are good for light use

10. Cupboard

Keyboards

please please please will someone release a replacement for my ancient Milestone?

11. Chris 171

Will it...

Do infrastructure mode wifi for tethering?

12. Blacklight
    Meh

Nothing new on that unlock screen...

It's a standard feature on HTC kit these days!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BBC iPlayer listen again with Android = screen stays on!

Well above comment did say LISTEN again... now what is the point of listening to a catch-up proggy while doing the ironing, with Flash keeping the screen switched on? Turn off the screen off and the player pauses!!!

14. Noli

Same Arm-7 as on San Fran?

Same old Arm-7 as on San Fran?!

Pah! Rubbish. I loved my san fran in its day but it was slow and even at 1GHz this is an old slow chip. Such a shame as this would have been *perfect* spec for me otherwise. Love the 4" screen and everything else (& price!). Looks like I'll stick with my Acer Liquid Metal S120 for a little longer. Only £140 but has newer gen CPU. Just too little memory & ram. If anyone knows a cheap mid-range similar to the Ascend G300 but better CPU, please post!

15. informed1

armv7

The Blade and Skate use armv6 processors( arm11 600-800mhz) this device uses an armv7 processor (cortex a5 1ghz), it should offer similar performance to a cortex a8 processor and as a result will be able to run flash and iplayer.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the same processor as San Fran

OSF = MSM7227 which is a ARM11 @ ARMv6

G300 = MSM7227A which is a CortexA5 @ ARMv7

This is more like like going from a Pentium D to a Core 2

17. Patrick 14
    FAIL

NO leave it well alone

iPlayer does work and you can install flash 11 for google play.

the amp for the rear speaker is a joke. its way to low even at max.

The screen when rotating sticks around 45% for a while then carrys on.

the phones feels nice but the back cover is a pain to remove had mine a few hours at this point in time and already marked the bit you pop it off at.

18. Noli

Feedback

@informed and anonymous coward

Thanks very much for the clear up on the CPU - I think I'd be fine with it after all!

@Patrick 14

Saw your review elsewhere. Thks for confirming iplayer. The other stuff sounds v disappointing. Anyone else have similar / different impression?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Major Vodafone online order cockup

Order one of these on the website and you receive a confirmation email and text and then nothing. Call customer services to be told it's been cancelled and you should have been notified. Happening to several people - looks as if it might be everyone who has ordered these things:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/huawei-ascend-g300-exclusively-friday-vodafone-for-100-1191391?page=10#post14256128 and onwards

20. Patrick 14

There are selling faulty mobile to us

Take a look here http://android.modaco.com/topic/353401-huawei-loudspeaker-issue-definitely-software-related/ if no link showing goto google and search for modaco g300 and look for loud speaker issues

Cheers.

if yours is doing the same phone there Uk london based centre on zero two zero seven two six six seven seven zero zero. they take details and then pass it on to someone.

With enogh people they might do something.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like