back to article Julian Assange™ telemovie coming to Oz TV

The early hacker activist life of Julian Assange is set to be immortalised in a television drama for Australia’s Network Ten. The two hour telemovie called Underground will be directed and written by Robert Connolly, the director of Balibo. Assange will be played by acting newcomer Alex Williams while Rachel Griffiths will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He won't win any friends in Oz

Assange is good at promoting himself but most people see him for what he is, unscrupulous.

2. Turtle

Just wondering.

Does Assange get any money for this? Judging from the article, it seems not, but it is not explicitly stated. I suppose that it would be possible to write the script in such a way that they would not be compelled to pay him but I am not sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just wondering.

I think he is compensated for everything he does and he has a Beg-a-Thon website to help pay for for his "legal defense", where he supposedly received millions???

1. Turtle

Re: Just wondering.

"I think he is compensated for everything he does"

But it is not clear that he is actually doing anything in regard to this teevee movie.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thriller

I can just imagine it: 1:45 of close-ups of the great man typing, and 0:15 of him explaining how he's saved the world. Or maybe those times will be swapped.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Mendax"?

too close to "mendacious" at first reading; was the sobriquet supposed to have a meaning.

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

I imagine it'll be like all the other "hacker" films...

...geek sitting in darkened room typing furiously and then saying "I'm in!"

As if I needed yet another reason to not bother with locally made TV content.

1. Ru

Re: I imagine it'll be like all the other "hacker" films...

Obligatory webcomic reference.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2526#comic

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Obligatory webcomic reference.

Yes, that. Exactly that.

6. Scorchio!!

This is too soon; it ain't over until the fat judge sings.

7. jake Silver badge

Great.

Yet another "misunderstood, in it for humanity, but still a sleaze-ball trying to make money" movie. Pardon us while we don't bother.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

A wise man just said to me "He like to see himself as a hero, sadly he gets other people killed".

Hero's are suppored to die valiantly for their cause, something sadly he hasn't been able to achieve. More a Kitchiner, I think, people die just to move his drinks cabinet a bit closer to Berlin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn

Kitchener was an active general in the Sudan and South Africa (1890s-1902) and was Secretary for War in the First World War.

He identified the need for a massive recruitment of soldiers for a long war, but also had a better idea for a strike at the Ottoman Empire than Churchill's Gallipoli misadventure.

You might be thinking of Haig and others.

1. Turtle

Kitchener

Kitchener was pretty nearly the only war chief or politician who thought that what became the Great War would be a protracted affair, and not the army merely taking a six-week sight-seeing tour on foot.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Assange was 'proff' not 'Mendax'

FOAF tells me he never called himself 'Mendax' as a hacker, but was instead known as 'The Mad Professor' shortened to 'proff' ( eg: http://cryptome.org/0003/wikileaks-gest.htm ).

'Mendax' was a name he used in the book Underground, because he preferred at the time to use a pseudoname for his pseudoname, rather than just his pseudoname.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Professor Julian Assange

FOAF tells me he also used "Prof. Julian Assange" in his e-mail signatures at one point in time, (mis)leading readers to believe he was infact an academic of high standing, as in "Professor Julian Assange", when infact he held no such official academic standing. Thankyou Cryptome records http://cryptome.org/0001/assange-cpunks.htm#1995 (search for text on the page "Prof. Julian Assange").

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is the movie tited "Slimeball"?

If so he should perform in person.

12. ItsNotMe
    Coat

Who is going to play him...

...Edgar Winter?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good time to round up some Anon

Probably all three Anon supporters in OZ will show up to see this movie. Authorities can just arrest them all.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like