back to article TED

TED - or Technology, Entertainment and Design - is a series of conferences run by a private not-for-profit organisation called the Sapling Foundation. In its own words, it was formed to disseminate "ideas worth spreading". So what we have here then is a collection of 1200-odd - with more being added each week - video lectures …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And again, why?

Once more I see an app and I ask "What does this app do for me the related web site does not?"

For TED, I will append "or that the associated Web site + a bog standard podcatcher doesn't?" - I have GPodder set up to pull down the TED talks videos, so I don't have to be online to watch them - and my podcatcher works with other sources as well.

As (one of the various interchangeable cooking show people I cannot be bother to remember with specificity) says, "I hate single-taskers in my kitchen! If it cannot do more than one thing who needs it?" Why do I need to clutter my phone with a large number of single-purpose apps when a couple of general purpose apps will do as well or even better?

1. Richard Ball

Re: And again, why?

http://www.ted.com/search?q=advertising

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What does this app do for me the related web site does not?

It works better on a 4in screen to start with.

Also, does your podcatcher include all the further listening recommendations? Well does it?

I've been using this app for just over a week - I'd never heard of TED until I stumbled across it - and it's well worth a try.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What does this app do for me the related web site does not?

"Also, does your podcatcher include all the further listening recommendations? Well does it?"

1) No need to be so aggressive - the second question was redundant.

2) The podcatcher will if the RSS feed does - which goes back to the web designers doing their job. Plenty of other feeds do precisely that.

And to the other poster with respect to gpodder and Python: that's why I run GPodder on my computer, and let it sync to my phone. This also saves on mobile data usage.

3. frank ly

Re:GPodder - And again, why?

I just tried GPodder. It's a little 2.68MB program..... that requires you to install 211MB of Python software environment before it can do anything.

4. teknopaul

Re: And again, why?

I see you point. but I rate this app. its anoying when one of chrome Firefox or opera can't render video. if you watch Ted a lot its good to have an app that you know works.

just like the YouTube app is worth having.

2. Kubla Cant

"there’s a reason Al Gore has several talks and George W Bush gets none: Bush is not a mental giant"

And Al Gore is?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Understatement

Replace "not a mental giant" with "a mental midget" and you then get the intended meaning.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Peter Weyland on TED 2023

Search Google for the above : D

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

UI Design

This app should be a shining example of how to design an app for Android. I have not seen it on a tablet interface, but on my 720p Galaxy Nexus it is awesome. Simple, clean, intuitive. Fantastic work.

5. Graysonn

I've had this app for months and i love it. easy to use and perfect on my mobile.

6. Darryl

Netflix (at least in Canada) is streaming a whole pile of TED videos too

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like