back to article Iran preps Internet cutoff

Iran has moved to protect its citizens’ privacy against American Imperialist Data Harvesters*; unfortunately for Iranians, the plan involves taking the whole country off the Internet. International Business Times is reporting that the country’s plan to set up a national intranet – its notorious “clean Internet” – will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arctic fox
    Trollface

RE: "that first paragraph was meant to be irony."

"American Imperialist Data Harvesters"

And the ironic bit was?*

*This is also irony.

1. Glen 1
      Trollface

Re: RE: "that first paragraph was meant to be irony."

It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Re: RE: "that first paragraph was meant to be irony."

So you think that the American imperialists, plus of course Israel where your microprocessors probably came from anyway, -aren't- hacking the Internet in Iran as hard as they can?

2. asdf

and in other news

Somewhere in LA an ex Iranian national who calls himself Tony and passes himself off as Italian to the ladies will thank the fates for his family being run off when the Shah was over thrown.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not wanting to be outdone by the UK latest privacy outrage; Iran has upped the ante

4. Silverburn
    Happy

Kudos After Dinnerjacket...

...all you need now is the white cat and underground lair.

Oblig SC/007 quote: "He's quite mad you know"

5. btone
    Facepalm

Sharia don't like it...

This is no way for the mullahs to gain access to that wondrous freedom club known as ACTA... no, wait...

1. Miek
      Thumb Up

Re: Sharia don't like it...

Nice one, a Clash reference.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Luckily BBS software still exists...

And with that I'm not referring to visiting a BBS to download software and such, I'm of course referring to the whole 'echomail' (comparable to UseNet) and 'netmail' (e-mail) structures.

A mere mail client such as timEd (or the better known GoldEd) is enough to actually read & write messages, then you need a mailer & tosser (I used 'Portal of Power' and 'FMail' in the days) which can package up ('toss') and send (the mailer part) all your stuff across a regular phone line. Of course a modem would come in handy too.

Sure; its not real time, but its the one thing a government won't be able to block on a whim. Well, they could but usually they won't; people are granted phone access. And should worse come to worst; in "our" days we could fit a /whole/ lot of mail material (echomail & netmail alike) onto a single 1.44" floppy. Now try to imagine what you can achieve with a common memory stick ?

Worst case: you smuggle the whole thing across a border or, if international calls are possible, setup a so called "FidoNet <-> Internet relay". That will make sure that 'netmail' gets converted to regular e-mail and echomail... well, you do the math :-)

So while things might look totally hopeless for some youngsters there are actually still plenty of options left for electronic communication. Even mass-communication if you want to.

The main downside, obviously, is the latency. This won't be real time, but if you setup a good infrastructure then who cares if an e-mail takes more than a week to get answered?

(that was the time it took for my very first netmail ("e-mail") to be answered which I send using FidoNet to a friend of mine)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Luckily BBS software still exists...

"you do the math :-)"

I do like that phrase. Almost invariably when it's used, the "math" is basic arithmetic. Glad you put the smiley there.

Meanwhile, back on topic, would it actually matter all that much other than to Iranians if Iran went "dark" on t'internet?

1. Ru
        Unhappy

"would it actually matter all that much "

Yes, I think so.

The problem that the Iranian government have with its citizens is that they're a bit too well informed. There's a strong, young, pro-democracy movement who are well educated and quite well versed in the use of modern technology. They represent something of a threat to the status quo.

When they can't communicate with the rest of the world, and when their only news source is government filtered propaganda, their ability to change their situation for the better is impaired. Thus the current Iranian government carries on as it likes, something that's not necessarily good for the rest of us.

2. Nigel 11
      Linux

Re: Luckily BBS software still exists...

There are a few new things since BBSs first appeared.. There are broadband satellites, for example. Presumably Iranians have friends overseas who can pay for a subscription? So old-style BBSs with small bandwidth requirements could still be connected to the internet in near realtime. Also with a wireless connection to the Iranian net, it would be pretty hard for the authorities to catch someone in the act of operating the router.

The dissenters could even play them at their own game and set up their own open network of ad-hoc peer to peer routers. Sounds like a good use for loads of cheap Rasberry Pi boards. Deploy and forget. Pringles-tube directional antennae to make it hard for the authorities to locate them, if they aren't in the know. With friends in adjacent countries it could even jump the borders. Some time ago I read about battlefield networking using golfball-sized nodes just scattered out of aeroplanes or missiles. A demilitarised version ought to be do-able for £50/node and falling. Maybe something the a news networks should develop, for places like Syria today, and a horribly likely future Iran.

"Interesting times". Is it actually possible to take a whole country off the internet? Ghadaffi tried it in the dying days of his rule, and failed. Now Iran is about to try. I hope they also fail.

7. g e

Nokia Siemens.. ?

I also accuse Smith & Wesson of murder, then.

8. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Happy

So what IS the Register?

Do you answer to "Western colonialist media wannabes"?

Or do you prefer something else?

9. Frank Bitterlich
    Thumb Up

I love those propaganda phrases...

"Western colonialist media wannabes" - you can't make that stuff up.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: I love those propaganda phrases...

It appears you can make this stuff up. As an example, here's some North Korean propoganda.

10. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"intranet"

"a national intranet"

That's an internet, son. It's just not the capital-I Internet.

"Intranet" is a pointless coinage used by people who don't know what an internet (a network of networks) is.[1]

Lawn, kids, etc.

[1] True, "intranet" appears in two RFCs, presumably authored by the reasonably knowledgeable. Those two RFCs are informational, not standards-track, and they don't define the term, much less explain how it's distinguished from "internet".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like