back to article Polish scientists quantify perfect legs

Polish researchers have discovered that the perfect set of legs is five per cent longer than the average, meaning that your run-of-the-mill Polish woman at 5ft 4in tall with an inside leg measurement of 29in would require 30.5in legs to compete with the celebrated pins of Oz popstress Kylie Minogue. Minogue has, of course, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Macintyre
    Paris Hilton

no pictures?

We reg readers want samples of the various 'legs' used for comparison. Paris cause she has legs (Jobs doesn't, just a backbone)

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

How about...

long legs mean high speed (something our HUNTER-gatherer ancestors would appreciate). I do not think cholesterol/diabetes/cardiovascular disease was a serious problem when you could take your pick from cholera, malaria, plague, lions, angry mammoths/woolly rhinos, starvation, war with neighbouring tribe and all other forms of "natural" population control.

And indeed, parnter selection is often based on things the opposite thinks are hot.

3. Peter

Nice Pins

Pull the other one

4. Eddie Edwards
    Happy

Kylie's popularity amongst men

IMHO has less to do with the length of her legs than with her propensity to do entire dance sequences in her underwear.

5. Bill Fresher

Re: How about...

So why don't (most) men find women with moustaches attractive?

6. Paul

Funding

Who paid for this, and WHY?

Can I get a grant to find the perfect breast please?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Some men prefer...

...Women with fat legs. Some prefer women with thin legs. The rest prefer something in-between...

8. weirdcult
    Happy

Remember..

some girls are bigger than others, some girls are bigger than others, some girls mothers are bigger than other girls mothers......

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Nah Not da Kylie

hmm is it just me that finds Kylie really annoying? Squeaking voice and bordering on the ginger side?? Feel well overdosed on Kyliemania now and wish she would just disappear for a while.

Now Penélope Cruz thats more like it......have a google you know you wanna, and watch Volver :)

10. Chris Bradshaw
    Paris Hilton

silhouette != real thing...

These were just silhouettes? I'm not sure I'd be interested enough to really evaluate the choices properly.. At the very least, pictures of the whole 'package' would make a better survey. Best of course would be an actual visual 'measurement' encounter, but where to find an obliging set of body doubles*??? Icon self-explanatory

What about artists's models? They are used to posing nude in front of audiences, and (probably) would not mind being judged this way...

11. Tony
    Coat

Indeed

"Still, he was pretty unequivocal about why people don't much like short legs, viz: said legs are linked with "a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes and with higher levels of a body fat called triglyceride, which is linked to the clogging of the arteries, heart disease, strokes and insulin resistance in men".

After hundreds of thousands of years of evolution this is probably a deeply ingrained instinct.

I know that's the first thing that pops up when I gaze at a woman's legs.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting but...

I always preferred Dannii

13. Matt

Bottoms

So, if "fat bottom girls make the rocking world go round" does that mean fat bottom girls have longer than average legs? Mind you this was sung by someone who wasn't famous for liking girls......

14. Dave Bell

Not so new...

I've heard the same basic idea, and the same basic explanations, quite a few timnes over the years.

Repeating the tests is good science. If you can't repeat an experiment, is it ever going to be science?

And a vague general indicator of health and fitness, I can go with that. But 99.9% of our ancestors didn't know any of this medical stuff, so I really doubt the detailed list of deadly faults has any relevance

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Every man knows...

...that the best legs are the pair descending from a mini skirt. (Anonymous today because my other half will not appreciate this sort of comment when I should be working.)

16. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Shurley Shome Mishtake?

This is The Reg. Surely the byline should read "Longer than average, and attached to Paris Hilton"?

17. Steven
    Happy

You just knew...

...when I checked my El' Reg RSS feed in Firefox I just knew that Mr Haines would be the author of such a fine article!!

Keep up the good work sir! Although I feel it only appropriate that on behalf of the El' Reg's readership I request that you use your powerful position in international journalism to request a similar study concentrating on Bulgarian airbags!

18. Mark

@Paul

Apparently the breast research has already been done, remeber reading an article in paper about it.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Science not working for the average man

And how does this knowledge improve my (already slim) chances of copulation with the oppopsite sex? Anonymous Nerd

20. Dave
    Thumb Down

Not a mistake at all, Stuart

Paris has nasty legs. (Goes well with her face)

21. Mathieu GUILLAUME

This study must have needed...

... a lot of leg work!

22. Slaine
    Coat

Hiltons vs Minogues? Celebrity 4some MudWrestling

Once a topic has been researched, follow up reseach is essencial to confirm or deny the earlier results, in this instance might I suggest lots and lots of follow up research... Oh, and may I put myself forward for one of these prestigeous testing posts when the next round of leg/breast research is being conducted?

Ah... now then AnonCow, just for the record, "I have no preference for the left leg, or for the right leg, but somewhere inbetween".

And finally, I seem to remember reading someplace that the ideal length for a pair of legs is, "long enough to reach the ground".

Now then, where's my CAMELskin coat?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Presumably, then,

...if attractive legs are 5% longer than average, humans will select each generation to have legs relatively longer than the last. Therefore, the leg-vs-body ratio will increase ad infinitum.

This suggests that rather than huge heads with big eyeballs, pop-culture representations of aliens should actually consist of tiny torsos on top of fifteen-foot-long gams. Excellent.

24. Anonymous John
    Happy

What about

if they belong to a blonde on a beach, with a laptop?

25. J
    Linux

Re: long legs mean high speed

Right. But that does not fit the data, because the 10% longer legs (instead of 5%, the winners) were *less* attractive.

"But 99.9% of our ancestors didn't know any of this medical stuff, so I really doubt the detailed list of deadly faults has any relevance"

Er, that's not really how evolution works, mate... You don't need to be choosing the characteristic (consciously or not) -- otherwise non-human organisms wouldn't evolve, right? If you choose the "good" one (and the propensity to make that choice is inheritable), your descendants will be better off than those who do the "wrong" choice. Not that I really have a reason to think this particular case of the longer legs has anything to do with that anyway...

Penguins have quite short legs.

26. Mostor Astrakan
    Stop

Stop! Stop!

You're confirming the unfair prejudice that geeks are obsessed with the body of Members Of The Appropriate Sex!

27. Liam Johnson

@long legs mean high speed

Long legs don’t necessarily mean high speed because you would need more muscle to move those long levers effectively. In other words, 5% more can mean more speed, but 10% more and you are probably getting the reverse effect.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@@long legs mean high speed

Just look at Peter Crouch and the 'Bambi on Ice' effect.

This topic is closed for new posts.