back to article Apple flooded with iPad 3 wireless connection complaints

A tsunami of complaints about Apple's "The new iPad" – aka the iPad 3 – are filling Cupertino's discussion forums, claiming that the 3G and 4G connectivity of Apple's überpopular fondleslab is bollixed. "The new iPad has unstable 3G connection" is the title of one forum thread in which the thread-initiator reports: "3G icon is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pot and kettle

'One disgruntled – and not terribly grammatical' and you use the none word 'bollixed'.

Keep it classy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ok

Fair enough, can't be bothered to argue, the article must be right....

Even though I know 7 people with them and no one has had a problem.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
        Trollface

Re: ok

I know 7 people who have never died. Dying must be a myth. It must never happen...

</troll> :)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Carbon

We're the stuff of stars! All of me has been around for billions of years, Buddha knew his stuff

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because your name suggests you live with your parents... Downvote

3. Patrick R
          Pint

If you know only 7 people who have never died

You seem quite dead yourself. You should get out more.

4. MrZoolook
          FAIL

I suspect you know someone who has died though, whereas he still does not know someone with iPad 3 problems. I say that makes YOU the troll.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

2. fLaMePrOoF
        Trollface

If you know seven people with the-new-iPads's then I'd have to say there's a very good chance that you and your circle of friends are all enormous twats.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

THIS IS WHY APPLE TABLETS ARE OBSCURE NOBODY WANTS THEM THIS IS WHY WINDOWS TABLETS OUTSELL ALL COMPETITORS TOGETHER THEY JUST WROK

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"THIS IS WHY WINDOWS TABLETS OUTSELL ALL COMPETITORS TOGETHER THEY JUST WROK"

...especially their Caps Lock and spell check functions :-)

4. Mullerrad
        Childcatcher

mines ok, battery life is ok but comparing against ipad one its not as good but I watch a lot of video and I still get almost two days use. Light use more than ok.

2. Big-nosed Pengie

Re: Pot and kettle

"Resetted"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Deprecated! It's all CoCoa now!

3. Zap

That's Bollix

4. DF118

All of which wittering does not address the original retarded AC comment.

The use of the euphemistic neologism "bollixed" doesn't make you a hypocrite to point out others' sub-literacy.

3. eSeM

Apple would again like to thank the iFabois for beta testing another of their products.

:)

1. bill 36
      Pint

Its not just Aple

To be fair and talking from years of experience, anybody who queues up to buy any product from an IT company on the strength of some slick marketing must be insane and deserve what they get.

But since this is consumer land and not professional territory, we shouldn't be surprised.

Wireless issues across the board have been around for years now so it should be no surprise that some devices work better than others in a given environment.

There are a multitude of wifi issues out there, most of which the fanbois will have little or no knowledge of.

1. JaimieV

Apple have been replacing any iPad3's with the wifi issue

since *two days* before this article was published. Do keep up, Myslewski.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/04/04/apple-investigating-new-ipad-wifi-issues-tells-applecare-to-replace-affected-units/

2. Morg

Riiiiight professional

Sure . Like microsoft doesn't often fail ?

or SAP ? <-- stackpile of fail right here

or Oracle ?

Come on ;)

IMHO it's worse on the professional territory, with AutoCAD that can't even use most (or multi) GPU's etc. etc. - and slick marketing does the trick even better. - there, take another slice of cloud saas big-data business-driven piece of buzzword-pie .

I think what people are rambling about here is just sales to uninformed customers, i.E. sales.

3. nickebrenner

Re: Its not just Aple

Yes. I am not a fan of Apple by any stretch, but I must agree I have seen these same problems in many other devices. Hand-off from one connection to the next has always been tricky.

I see this more in areas with good cellular data network vs poor wifi network more than others. When there is a strong flow of 3G/4G data the network devices seem to get confused as to which is the better source to use, although I would imagine it would be a straightforward switch since the connection would be coming from different antennae.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Its not just Aple --- Are you sure??

Strange that its ONLY my apple devices that have hand off issues, I can't walk between the two wifi networks in my house without restarting my wifi on both my ipad and macbook...

My Linux laptops, android phones and even my old winmo6 phone work fine!!!!

4. ducatis'r us
    Pint

not an issue for me

I've done speedtest.com comparisons with my wife's iPad 2. sometimes the the iPad 2 is quicker, sometimes the iPad 3 is quicker. it does not seem to be a problem for me anyway. Likewise the overheating thing, it does get a bit warmer than the iPad 2 but never more than luke warm, strangely warmer when reading the `Guardian iPad app than watching films or playing games. Must be a liberal conspiracy thing.

.... cos i'm off to the pub now

1. ducatis'r us

Re: not an issue for me

if it's relevant I have a 32Gb wi-fi thingy

1. jai

64gb wifi+4g3g here - also no problems that i've found when compared to my old iPad

2. Alex Rose
        Facepalm

@ducatis'r us

Really, your wi-fi version doesn't display a problem switching between 3G/4G and wi-fi?

Say it ain't so!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Relax - once you're more familiar with The Register's style, you'll realise they write this kind of article for practically *every* new release of *everything*. It's easy, because every new product - software or hardware - will have some measurable failure rate; and the more they sell, the more complaints you will find. So all you do is trawl the forums, look for subjects with a lot of message, pluck out a few choice rants, and presto! - you have a 'news' item. It's a bit like the articles about the environment and the influence of man's activities - the thing that attracts readers better than anything is controversy.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Flame

"It's easy, because every new product - software or hardware - will have some measurable failure rate;"

You're right. But the failure rate on launch seem to be so much higher with software/hardware where the basic underlying device is a "computer" . It's reletively rare for most other consumer products, especially those with big launch announements to have noticable, documented and "obvious to the user" faults.

It just seems to be accepted that software or hardware will have problems and need updating/patching at some very early point in it's lifecycle. When was the last time you bought a TV/microwave/washing machine/cooker/fridge/vacuum cleaner/dvd player/mp3 player etc etc etc which had a fault that was obvious and needed fixing ASAP to make it function as intended?

Yes, this stuff is complicated and has large teams of developers so faults/mistakes can creep in. But this just means the pre-launch testing needs to be just as comprehensive as development.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@John Brown: "Yes, this stuff is complicated and has large teams of developers so faults/mistakes can creep in. But this just means the pre-launch testing needs to be just as comprehensive as development."

We're not talking about a design fault - if it was, no one's iPad would be working well. The fact is, the vast majority of purchasers are not having a problem. The real problem is one that's endemic to mass manufacturing. If you manufacture thousands of items, some percentage will have a flaw that can't be found before the item leaves the factory. The more you sell, the more returned/exchanged (and the more messages accumulate on forums). The new iPad is selling in *huge* numbers, so you must expect higher numbers of messages on forums about problems.

The media, including The Register, thrive on controversy. If you haven't got any, dig some up. This article implies the new iPad is fundamentally flawed, but clearly that isn't true. Yes, there will be some that have problems, but it's par for the course, i.e. it happens with *all* electronic equipment and software. The forums of every product in existence is replete with complaints about problems. This article, like many, trawls through the complaints and pitches them as a scandal. The Register has published scores of articles like this - it gets really tedious once you see the pattern.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> We're not talking about a design fault - if it was, no one's iPad would be working well.

You are demonstrating your ignorance. A design fault does not mean everyone’s iPad would not be working. It means everyone who manages to perform the sequence of actions that trigger the design fault would have an iPad that fails. This sequence of actions might be so rare that only 1 in a million are ever affected or it might be so common that 9 out 10 are affected. It looks like the iPad has a design flaw that is being triggered by a significant number of users.

> If you manufacture thousands of items, some percentage will have a flaw that can't be found before the item leaves the factory.

Failure rates on mass produced electronic items are remarkably low. This due to advanced production techniques and the components and boards being tested throughout the production process. If any part of the process started giving errors that could be measured in percentage points then production would be stopped until the cause was found. Overall, out of the 10s of thousands coming of the production line only a couple will have a manufacturing fault.

> This article implies the new iPad is fundamentally flawed, but clearly that isn't true.

That fact that it impacts some users and not others does not mean it isn't fundamentally flawed (it doesn't mean it is either). All it means is that there is a problem and until it is identified it is unknown whether it is a fundamental problem or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@AC: "Failure rates on mass produced electronic items are remarkably low. This due to advanced production techniques and the components and boards being tested throughout the production process."

So you've never noticed that many major computer manufacturers - including Apple - have had to recall *huge* numbers of laptops because they shipped with a flawed batch of batteries? Care to name a company that hasn't experienced a problem if this kind? It happens routinely. It's boring. The critical issue is, what does the manufacturer do when a fault is found? Apple has already instructed its staff to exchange any new iPad found to have faulty reception - sounds reasonable to me. And given the overwhelmingly positive response to the new iPad, it clearly isn't that common either.

2. Morg

The new iPad is selling in huge numbers, but most haven't even been boxed yet.

Second, there are design flaws in the new iPad, the overheating is one (granted, it mostly happens while gaming - i.e. when you actually use the GPU inside) and there are others.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

@Morg: "there are design flaws in the new iPad, the overheating is one "

Oh yeah - the problem where it barely reaches normal body temperature. Wow, sounds like a *really* major problem to me. Even Ars measured it at a whole 33 degrees C. You might even be able to melt butter on that!

1. Morg

... you do realize there are countless reports of that "issue" and you do realize that any such ARM + GPU SoC put under stress is going to hit beyond 40°C whatever you do ?

I didn't say it was a huge issue, i'm just saying it's there and it's a design flaw --

And w/e Ars Technica reviewed is of no importance when the rest of the world says it's friggin hot w/ intensive use.

2. MrZoolook
              Flame

Its not a flaw that makes it overheard... Didn't you get the I'memo? It's just a new feature we added into the new model. It doubles as a desktop hob for those times your sailing and find yourself short of camping gas for the galley cookers.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

More likely a combination of bottom spec'd parts. Company, I work for, was bitten a few years ago because all the cheap parts, that would barely pass on their own, started causing massive problems when used as a whole. Our solution was simple. After the first few months, we stopped repairing an entire pcb and just replaced the unit with a new one while scrapping the original. We currently are riding the software bug wave for our new product. Nothing new, as it'll probably by sold with some known major bugs like our other products have been.

2. E 2

And most definitely if it's an Apple product.

However it is much more fun to ridicule Applistas than any other faith based community.

(FWIW I've a Samsung Galaxy S phone and web surfing on it using 3G is pretty flakey)

5. Malcolm Hall
    Go

It's probably the same problem as on the 4S. There is an authentication problem between the sim and the chipset. After multiple failed attempts 3G turns off. This is noticed when using WiFi at home and then not being able to receive any iMessages when out and about. Then of course not being able to use Safari confirms the issue.

The way to fix is to set any PIN on the SIM and then turn the PIN off again, this can be done in Settings. The default PIN on AT&T is 1111 not sure if UK networks supply a default PIN. This resetting of the PIN appears to correct the authentication problem and 3G works continuously afterwards.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same default PIN in the UK

2. andreas koch
      Thumb Up

well, that was easy.

Thanks for sharing! You should post that where there's people with problem-iPads, Apple forum or such, and shame the tech support for not doing their job. If it's that simple to fix/ workaround, then there should be an official note, don't you think?

1. Morg

Re: well, that was easy.

If it's that simple to fix, the guy responsible for the bug should be asked to fix it in his free time, don't you think ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

None too shiny

This isn't looking good at all.

Now I understand that headlines tend to be sensationalised to grab the readers attention and that people with problems tend to shout louder than those without.

To describe it as Tsunami might indicate the amount people responding to a thread on apples forum, but is it a Tsunami of actual users? How many, what proportion or percentage? Are there any numbers or just a juicy headline?

I know three people with the new iPad and they are not experiencing any of the reported issues. On Thursday I was off work and checked a great many MAcs to see if any were infected with the Java virus thingy - I must have checked out at least 50 machines of regular users across London and I didn't find one that was infected.

I'm sure this 3G problem is a real problem, but how big a problem is it? Does anyone know?

1. Alienrat
      WTF?

Re: None too shiny

How many users are in a tsunami anyway? I checked the standard measurements tables but it seemed to be missing

7. Seamaster
    Thumb Down

Sorry to p¡ss on the haters' chips, but mine works great.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They'll be along soon enough to pour on scorn and remind us of it for time in memorial. Were watching the the birth of a new way of slagging off apple that'll never tire of using thinking that it happens to every iPad.

Some wag will even say something about 'holding it wrong'. An imagination is something they lack sadly - or they might be entertaining instead of boring.

1. g e

To be fair

Apple invented the 'holding it wrong' phrase...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: To be fair

Quite so, but it stopped being funny or entertaining years ago

1. Anonymous Coward
            Trollface

Re: Re: To be fair

"Quite so, but it stopped being funny or entertaining years ago"

Not so, It'll be funny until it stops annoying fanboys.

2. Steve Todd
          Stop

Re: To be fair

No, it's a misquote. Someone emailed Steve Jobs complaining that if they held their iPhone 4 in a certain way then the signal dropped. SJ replied "Don't hold it like that", which was a fairly civilised response considering.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah like the antenna gate tsunami were 'almost no-one' returned their iPhones as it was a minor issue - think the figure was far less than 1% and similar to the figure that would use the 30 day money back guarantee anyway.

1. Morg
      Facepalm

Like Apple buyers would ...

return those iPhones ?

They're social status symbols, most of the people buying them don't give a crap if the antenna has an issue, and less than 1% returns can also be a case of the usual laziness :

Out of 100 phones,

60 w/ fail antennas

40 don't even notice

15 don't care

4 can't be arsed (because returning a product is hell, even w/ the best customer service you lose a lot of time for nothing)

1 return

Considering the iPhone product and its target market, I would be surprised if a major technical flaw (like half the signal strength of another phone) caused more than 1% returns, considering how people praising and buying those devices are more interested in the shiny and magical rather than the technical world.

2. M Gale

Every single iPhone that I hold like a phone...

...exhibits the Deathgrip problem.

Also annoying when you're playing games in landscape mode and the "Network Error" popup happens.

Every. Single. iPhone.

It's not a limited problem. It's a problem that lots of people couldn't be bothered to do anything about. Apparently dropped calls is a minor issue on a device that you can play Angry Birds on.

9. Mad Chaz
    Linux

Sounds to me like the network manager forgeting some key piece, like changing default gateway. Of course, with all the access those things must give you to what is happening, it's an awesome one to troubleshoot.

Mine's the one with the Tux plushy in the pocket.

10. anon01789

Apple flooded with iPad 3 wireless connection complaints

Not another bad apple on the cart? Are there any good ones?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Sensationalism?

Have the journotards been sent to the Super Soaraway Sun School of sensationalist writing lately?

Murdoch would be proud!

1. E 2
      Facepalm

Re: Sensationalism?

Come off it, K4, this is The Register.

If you want sober journalism then read the Christian Science Monitor, or The Economist.

12. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Meh

Situation Normal, All Fouled Up!

I have the same problems with my iPad (original) and iPhone 4 (no bloody S), both on the current iOS and neither is jailbroken. Just last night the phone wasn't picking up a 3G signal. Power cycle and bam - Five bars!

Methinks the problem is either software related (fixable), or there is a fundamental design flaw which affects all the 'i' products. Given that this problem seems to be hanging around for a few different generations of hardware, I suspect the problem may be more of the latter.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Situation Normal, All Fouled Up!

Still under warranty for your blower?- got apple care for your iPad? Go see apple

2. Morg

Re: Situation Normal, All Fouled Up!

It's software related and it's fixable, but considering the amount of stupidity required to create such a bug and not notice it during testing and not fixing it to date .. I'm pretty sure they'll get you to buy the iPhone 5 with the all new non-broken 3G.

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. Gordon 10

Yawn

Give good odds that 50% of the issues are DNS issues. Another 40% are cell site backhaul overloading. 5% software bugs and 5% real manufacturing faults.

All in all fairly standard.

1. koolholio
      Megaphone

Re: Yawn

Most DNS issues are due to router / gateway manufacturers like netgear/belkin using DNRD instead of a proper DNS implementation...

15. /dev/me
    Holmes

Weird wireless problems are weird

<anecdote> At work, we have a wireless accesspoint. All the iPad[(1|2)s have no problem reaching it. Neither do the iPhones, the HTC Hero's, WinXP and Win7 laptops and my Palm Pre.

But the WinVista laptops (however rare), the HTC Desire's and oh dear oh dear my own SL6 laptop keep losing connection. And indeed, the iPad3s we have also keep losing connection.

We bought a better router, and all the problems are gone.</anecdote>

Apparently I have no idea why this is. I thought these wireless protocols where device/platform agnostic. Maybe there's something wrong in the implementation somewhere, but we did upgrade the firmware of the cheapo router to the latest version.

I dunno, but when I had this connection problem on my plate for a while, I could not rule out that it was indeed the router where the problem was. Testing with different routers would be my first step.

Of course "change your router, no big deal" is not a solution to the problem. But apparently there are devices that just don't like talking to each other over wireless. In my experience this includes, but is not limited to, the iPad3.

16. Christian Berger
    Facepalm

If you don't like the way Apple is treating you then just don't buy their products.

One of the reasons why I don't have an Android device yet is that all manufacturers which would have had interesting hardware threaten to void the warranty should I actually use them. (deploy alternative firmware) Since this is not acceptable, I'm not buying one of their devices. Period

If you think Apples reaction to such problems is not acceptable to you, simply don't buy their products.

1. Morg

I think the whole point of articles like this one is to help people realize apple products aren't perfect and they shouldn't buy them thinking that.

i.e. sharing your point of view.

2. M Gale

Unfortunately...

..."smart" phones are basically games consoles with 3G chipsets, and follow a similar pattern: All locked up, and you void the warranty and potentially ban yourself from online services for modding it up.

It's the same all over. Good luck with the search. If you find any halfway decent smartphone with a manufacturer that won't bugger you sideways for using Cyanogenmod, don't forget to tell us all.

17. b166er

Christian, have you ever owned a phone before?

Pretty sure you haven't ever been allowed to change the firmware.

(I might add, that changing the firmware and then restoring it to the original in the case of a problem, would almost certainly see the manufacturer honouring the warranty (there are ways))

Don't see why you feel it would be your right to change the firmware and keep the warranty?

Your comment about not buying something from a company you feel doesn't treat you fairly is a good one. On this occasion though, it's affecting people who appear to like the way Apple treat them it's just that on this occasion the item is not working as specified.

Hope that's cleared things up for you.

1. Christian Berger

I have a phone, which I'm mostly using as an UMTS dongle for my laptop. I don't store any data on it, nor do I do any processing with it.

The question is, why does the operating system have to be considered "firmware"? Why can't they just do it like on PCs, where you have an essentially open system of partitions you can install whatever operating system you want onto, while still having a small core "BIOS" for the essential stuff close to the hardware? It would be trivial to build a device which had a read-only "restore" partition you could restore your OS from if anything goes wrong, by pressing some obscure button combination.

This day and age it shouldn't be possible to brick an open system just like it's near impossible to brick a PC.

1. Steve Graham
        Big Brother

Are you aware that Microsoft are working to close down the loophole of "open system of partitions" by adding "security" to the boot process?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_Boot

1. Christian Berger

Yes, "Secure Boot" will most likely be the reason why ARM won't make it to Laptops and desktop PCs. However it's probably fairly easy to sue against it. That's a blatant way of trying to lock out competition.

2. koolholio
          WTF?

EFI boot was included in 7's boot... UEFI is the 'next one up'

ACPI (PSU integrated?) and SMBIOS (north bridge south bridge / PCI bus / usb hub) goes, corr, thats just a genious money generator!

perhaps bcdedit and bootrec were never command line tools you've ever used? next it'll be JTAGing the EEPROM to counter UEFI!

2. stanimir

I dream of EU parliament actually address that: no software (un)installation should touch the warranty applicability.

1. Christian Berger

Then vote for the pirates party to make it happen. It's already in 2 parliaments in Germany.

3. koolholio
        FAIL

How to brick a PC

Coffee / fizzy drink corrodes copper on the PCB, causing capacitors / resistors / IC chips to blow... simply bricked physically

Modding/flashing the BIOS, when you have a EEPROM aware/restore partition aware viruses, that change the 'read only attribute'... its very easy with auto update mechanisms that fail under certain circumstances...

Perhaps you need to go back to school before making rediculous comments about 'near impossibilities of bricking PC's'?

18. AdamChew

Wow every comment is the gospel truth and there is not a single lie posted by people who dare not use their own name.

Yes indeed flooded by "complaints"

Sad and pathetic,

19. Spud2go
    Unhappy

Big letdown for some

..this kid, for example -

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/6708859/Teen-sells-kidney-for-gadgets

will likely be left wondering if it was really worth the sacrifice. :-(

20. Haku
    Coat

My iPad 3 can't connect to anywhere

I got a re-branded iPad from a bloke down the pub who assured me it had 4G connectivity, only the drawing app seems to be working but the battery life is amazing, I haven't had to charge it up yet, it's one of those rare foreign red ones called a "hcteks-a-hcte" with a silver screen and two control knobs at the top...

1. Tidosho
      Happy

Re: My iPad 3 can't connect to anywhere

Like what you did there! Hope you have fun using your etch a sketch! At least it doesn't crash, eh? :)

21. beep54
    Trollface

hehe

This really just warms my heart. Apple NEEDS to be taken down a whole slew of pegs. That they are doing it themselves a al M$ is just pure gravy.

22. Zap

Better that way around

So the issue seems to be that the Ipad3 stays hooked on the Wireless when they leave the house.

It would be worse if it stayed on the 3G after arriving at the office or home, eeek has someone tested that?

Check those mobile bills!

23. NewForce

Hi The Register,

I am NewForce. Thanks for using some of my words as part of your news content. Even without mentioning my name, but I'm still delighted as the new iPad 3/4G+WiFi version 3G connection issue that me and hundres of users across 4 continents are seeing and are suffering almost every single day since the 16th March the day the new iPad launched. Even Apple Support Communities deleted my growing thread in their forum, I'm still keep all the victims namelist till 06/04 with me.

The same title thread also posted at , http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-3-forum/70239-issues-ipad-3-4g-wifi-version-owner-worldwide.html

After rethink of all users situation on the problem we've seen so far, I'm having more suspect & remedy suggestion to our cause,

1. iOS 5.1 having bugs.

2. Qualcomm radio chipset issues in design, driver & firmware.

3. New iPad power regulating IC & circuitry having problem distributing adequate voltage & power to Qualcomm 3/4G radio chipset & Broadcom WiFi chipset. This may due to new iPad high resiolution 2048x1548 screen consuming too many power and Apple are trying hard to save power from all possible ways. Look like Apple aimed for beyond Full resolution HD has took a set back and jeopardized it own product performance.

4. New iPad 42.5W battery pack poor quality, voltage & power inconsistency.

5. New iPad internal heat dissipating issue, resulted poor chipsets and battery pack performance.

For item 1, Apple might able to fix it with iOS 5.2 or 5.1.1.

For item 2, Apple could partially fix on the driver & firmware change, but not on radio chipset design issue. A New iPad Recall or Replacement can help.

For item 3, A firmware changed may help to re-distributing adequate voltage and power the Qualcomm & Broadcom chipsets.

For item 4, A New iPad Recall or Replacement or just Battery pack replacement can help.

For item 5, ONLY redesign of new iPad can help. Or a step back solution like Apple help to drill some holes with our warranty still intact. Some users may object this idea though.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can someone explain to me

Why clueless fanbois muppets think it helps a discussion to post comments like, "Works for me". No-one anywhere in the article, or elsewhere for that matter, is claiming that the problem affects every single iPad 3 anywhere. With a product like this, if you have only 1% affected with a serious bug, it is a pretty big issue. Apple have tried to position themselves as the "it just works" manufacturer. When you have lots of people getting day 1 problems (whether it be iPad 3 3G issues, or iPhone 4 antenna issues, or anything else) it erodes your "it just works" argument and that is damaging to the company and the brand as a whole.

Back in the Windows Vista days, I remember reading a tonne of stories about the Vista problems. I had 2 years of trouble free computing with my 2 Vista desktops at home, but I wasn't camping on forums putting in "works for me" comments that really don't drive a discussion on. Instead I followed the stories, and when Windows 7 was released, decided that the risk of issues with Vista made it worthwhile to upgrade.

1. MissingSecurity
      Devil

Re: Can someone explain to me

Its a by product of consumer ignorance. If your loyal to a single brand you'll never accept that your brand can be shit some times. Happens in computer games, happens with MS, happens with Linux. Everyone gets caught in it sometimes.

We should just thank the Register for mounds of Entertainment each and every Apple article brings.

25. Stabbybob
    FAIL

Gone back to using my iPad2

I've experienced the exact same problem. My iPad3 (or "new iPad" I guess) rarely has a usable 3G connection, even though my iPhone will have a strong connection at the same place/time. Added to that the increased weight and decreased performance of the new iPad over the iPad2, I've gone back to using my older model. Trying to see if I have a case for just returning it as it's practically useless for me when I'm out.

26. Doug Glass
    Go

You'd think ...

... the cretins who buy Apple would learn. No wait, these are Apple Lemmings. Never mind.

27. koolholio
    FAIL

Programmatical errors

If interface.wifi.signal >= 0 then check DHCP/gateway compatibility and RIP/IGMP?

if interface.wifi.signal <=5% then set primary.interface=3G

How much more simple does that need to fricken get?

28. DEAD4EVER
    Thumb Down

ipad 3 wifi issues

simplest solution avoid apple the way they go on as a company there as bad as Microsoft if they cant fix it forget it. they cant even fix its WiFi issues and apples response say nothing they go quiet there's plenty alternatives to apple who cares if it has a nice retina display big deal. that's what apple did with the iPhone 4s they made a song and dance about siri only it only works best in USA and Canada fat lot of good in the UK eh. simplest solution forget apple they suck.

29. Vostor
    Coat

really why oh why!

Really why do people buy this expensive crap sorry for being blunt but in resent years every apple product is plagued with issues from its debut! then they use the excuse "this patch will fix it!" which 99.9% doesn't then they come up with some apple bull like "sun spots were to blame and the ray of sun shine coming out my %$£$£%^"! was not helping the issue!! with apple if i have learnt anything DON'T BOTHER BUYING FIRST GENERATION..

I really dont know why i am saying this to you guys its like telling you guys the wheel is round and fire hurts if you put your hand in it for too long!

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

aaaawwwww!

My droid works perfectly without any issues at all!

31. NewForce

To date, Apple has not stand forward and face the problem like real big corporation. This has really further tarnishing their already look ugly after sales service images. Everytime when there's problem in their products, they have always choosen to coward behind Apple Corporation building at Cupertino. This really isn't what a REAL MAN should act.

If we look around, Google, IBM, Microsoft and so on.. if problem like this arise in their products, they had always stand forward and quickly provide a solution to the trouble.

I used to hate a lots about Microsoft Windows Update. But now compare it to Apple lousy attitude, Microsoft infact are 10x better Corporation than the sissy Apple.

Think again, Apple are inadequate Corporation, lacking professionals to deal with products crissis. Look what happened with Flashback virus/malware. This is a problem that Microsoft could have easily solved in a day or 2, and yet the inadequate Apple took more than 5 months.

Look like Google, IBM, Microsoft and the rest, except Apple, has got their professionals well trained to deal with any crisis when they arise. Well done to all of Google, IBM, Microsoft staffs.

In this round, Google, IBM, Microsoft and the rest scored 80 out of 100.

Too bad Apple, too bad, you had only scored 20 out of 100.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like