back to article Samsung slips on Ice Cream Sandwich

Samsung's two Galaxy Tab 2s, the (7.0) and the (10.1) - the South Korean company's brackets, not ours - will arrive at the end of the month. The two tablets were due to have gone on sale at the end of last week. They didn't, and they'll now ship at the end of April, Samsung has admitted. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anything like the S2, you're better off without it!

Can't say I am in the least bit impressed by ICS on my S2 after 4 days, almost all apps are slower and as for getting MTP ( now enforced on you! ) working with Linux desktops, seriously thinking about dropping back to 2.3 which is a shame as ICS works quite nicely on the ASUS transformer!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

upgrade oops

Sensation upgrade to ICE is buggy, spelling errors in the setting, odd behaviour on the keyboard and odd battery drain.

Best wait a few months to iron out bugs so Samsung are right to delay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: upgrade oops

Waiting 6 months since ICS release? WTF? Just wait, Android will be better in the next version...

Same old story

This is Samsung we're talking about here. Truly the fandroid is strong in you

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: upgrade oops

The fandriod was strong in me.....

Until the ICS upgrade, having to reboot to connect with WiFi, strange errors on keyboard, spelling mistakes n menu settings, slowness of screens. Like walking through treacle.

The worst of it... I have an unbranded handset.

Expect some updates to these updates soon.

I hope?

2. Miek
      Linux

Re: Anything like the S2, you're better off without it!

"and as for getting MTP ( now enforced on you! ) working with Linux desktops"

Tell me about it, but, I actually just use AirDroid (thanks El Reg). You can then access your phone via a web browser and batch upload /download files, apks and pretty much anything else you want to do. Best of all it costs nowt.

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/01/31/app_of_the_week_android_airdroid/

3. Chet Mannly

Re: Anything like the S2, you're better off without it!

I've had the opposite experience - if anything its a bit faster generally, but the big difference is battery life - I use mine heaps for music (as well as the usual) and I've got 20-30% more on the battery meter at the end of the day.

100% with you on that MTP cr@p though - its utterly painful getting to USB mass storage now. Might have to check XDA - someone there is bound to have an app/patch for this...

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

10.1 update

We might get an upgrade for the existing Galaxy 10.1.

[watches pigs fly over the horizon]

1. Charles 9

Re: 10.1 update

Not to mention the 7.0Plus, which is supposed to have better specs than the new (7.0) (it has a 1.2GHz dual-core Exynos on board) and is on Samsung's "will upgrade" list.

3. IGnatius T Foobar

ICS ON T989 FIRST!

Samsung must stop all work on porting until they have completed ICS on the T989 (the US T-Mobile variant of the Galaxy S II). I speak for all mobile users everywhere when I say that this is the single most important thing for the company to be doing right now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ICS ON T989 FIRST!

Just buy the SIII when it finally ships - problem goes away

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      FAIL

Re: ICS ON T989 FIRST!

You'd have a point if:

1) All mobile users were in the US.

2) All of them were on T-mobile.

3) All of them were using a T989.

Unfortunately you've managed to fail epically on all three.

4. Dazed and Confused
    Unhappy

They appear to be having problems with ICS

There is still no official ICS for the S2 available through Kies here in the UK.

1. Louis Buxey-Softley

Re: They appear to be having problems with ICS

I have ICS of my S2 .. but only O2 & Three has released it so far.

2. Miek

I put the LPQ firmware on my S2 using Odin (Rooting not required). It's not the *official* firmware, but, it is a Samsung sans-voda-crapware firmware. It works perfectly as far as I can tell. The suggestion that "they" appear to be having a problem with it, seems to be that "they" are the mobile operators and the "trouble" they are having is redesigning their bloat-warez and [tenous] spy-warez to run on ICS methinks. Discuss.

1. Dazed and Confused

To the best of my knowledge my S2 isn't branded by any of the networks, just a pucker Samsung one. So the "they" I was referring too was Samsung.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but plugging the phone into the Kies insists I have the latest firmware.

*#1234# responses indicate that the phone is unbranded and unlocked.

1. SteveCo
          Thumb Down

See here for the reason why: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s2-sim-free-owners-last-to-get-ics-samsung-admits-50007550/

Basically, your phone has less software on it, so needs the most testing!

5. W.O.Frobozz
    Thumb Down

Hmm...

So first Sony sounds an alarm about ICS, now there are unspecified "issues" getting it to work on Samsung tablets, and I'm all too familiar with the problems on the Asus Transformer (latest update: Asus is being sent the tablets of their testers to try and figure out what the source of the random reboots, boot crashes, etc are). I've heard rumours of the other major brands having performance and stability issues with ICS that weren't there with Honeycomb as well.

1. Chet Mannly

Re: Hmm...

ICS is kicking a$$ on my Galaxy S II...

The Sony warning is because they skimped on RAM and CPU in their Xperia Arcs. Not sure about the tablets, I don't own one to really be informed on that...

1. OFI
        Thumb Down

Have you compiled your own rom for it then? Every currently released SGSII rom has both wifi issues and touch sensitivity issues. It's a joke.

The touch is so bad i'm using an old phone to continue my Draw Something games as it's like using a 5 year old resistive screen!

1. KjetilS
          FAIL

I have the official Samsung "nordic" rom on my S2, and it works flawlessly. At lot faster than 2.3.5 was, and I haven't noticed any bugs. Only issue I have is random crashes in Spotify, but that is Spotifys fault for not updating in over half a year. (Spotify isn't supported on anything above 2.3.x)

6. PaulR79

Seems like Google changed so much in ICS that it's proving very difficult for all manufacturers to update it on existing hardware. I'm not sure why as I'm not a coder, just someone reading about the issues slowing development of the CyanogenMod ICS release.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because google have removed the infringing code from Java before Oracle clobbers them in the courts.

I can't prove it at the moment - but I think it will common knowledge when the case is finished

7. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Facepalm

Have Google ever heard of testing, and giving pre-release code to manufacturers?

Or as with all their other stuff, in sometimes permanent beta, do they prefer to test stuff in production? I'm starting to wonder if the reason Google don't publish an Android roadmap is because they just release stuff on random days, according to the CEO's horoscope that morning. Or maybe an algorithm based on coffee consumption at HQ. If coffee consumption suddenly drops, then coders are pulling fewer late nights, thus bugs must have been squashed. Therefore publish code.

8. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

My Just The Original Galaxy Tab is updated to 2.3.3

...which was a while ago, and weren't we supposed to get another 2.x upgrade for these by around now?

SIM for 2G phone only, and wi-fi at home, which I mention in case these are factors in the phone, since -that- upgrade, repeatedly freezing for a longer and longer tnterval, until rebooted.

I would like to have that not happen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like