back to article Fans fly to forums to signal iPad 3 Wi-Fi woes

Apple's iPad 3 is drawing fire for its wireless performance, with many an owner complaining about poor Wi-Fi reception. Tests performed by staff in Apple's own stores allegedly show it too. Numerous reports on the Apple support forum highlight the hitch, claiming the New iPad has a much weaker Wi-Fi pick-up than its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. CraigW
    FAIL

Ahahahahahahahahahaha..

That is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ahahahahahahahahahaha..

Grow up you sad little pillock, schadenfreude is nothng to be proud of.

1. toffer99

No, just something to be enjoyed.

1. ItsNotMe
          Thumb Up

Works for me as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"schadenfreude is nothng to be proud of"

It's not big nor clever either, but it is enjoyable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

not

Mine, I don't recognise any of this.

Great WiFi, no overheating, I smile everytime I switch it on.

Is this a conspiracy by those who don't own one?

It is so good I am selling my HTC sensation upgraded to ICS and buying an iPhone. Sorry guys but it is so much slicker.

I hand my head in shame.

1. Perspyro

Re: not

I do believe it's "hang" not "hand".....

Why is it a conspiracy? iPad2 vs "new iPad" = different hardware -> will be different under different conditions. For some it may be better, for some it may be worse.

Best of luck with your "so slick" iPhone. I'm glad it's interface is good for you. As for me, I like to do things my way and I consider iOS not slick, in fact alot of the time I find it darn right frustrating (and yes I have an iOS device which I use daily).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: not

I do believe it's "downright frustrating".

3. LarsG

mine

is fine,

Actually better than fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Meme

Oh look a new source of jokes for the Fandroids to use, The usual suspects will be here any minute now

3. Jeebus

Wasn't this specifically quoted as being a miniscule problem last week, seems the thousands I mentioned before was absolutely correct, and with the "Genius" bar confirming the performance woes.

Don't worry though Appletards, it'll only be £249 to replace the product you bought with one exactly the same with specs matching what they advertised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They'll only be charged if it's out of warranty. If it's a manufacturing defect, (which seems most likely) they'll be replaced by apple.

I do wonder though how many this affects, in pure numbers and as a percentage. Anyone know? Then we'd know if it was a minuscule amount or a massive amount.

They've sold loads of the things so problems are to be expected with some of them while not with others as pointed out in the article.

People who are complaining do tend to shout the loudest. Some more detail would be welcome

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good point - when you've sold that many items, even a minuscule amount of defects is enough to generate a lot of postings on the forums.

Even if 0.01% of items are affected, that's still 300 users, and if only half of them posted to a forum, that's several pages of complaints making it seem like an epidemic, rather than a minor issue.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

@Jeebus

So you're enough of an Apple fan to know the precise replacement price down to the £ but don't know that they would only charge that if YOU break it (like dropping it or after a bath in the bathtub) ?

If the Wifi is a real issue - not something with the users' sometimes crappy home router - Apple will of course replace it free of charge, as they do for anything that leaves the customer unhappy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Metavisor

Jeebus didn't say who would be paying; there's no evidence to suggest he doesn't know anything.

Meanwhile, you're enough of an apple fan not to know that all they're doing is complying with the law?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: metavisor

'they would only charge that if YOU break it'

What, you mean like the iPhone if they see the water damage indicator has triggered causing them to accuse you of getting it wet. This after it has been proven that just holding it in a slightly sweaty hand or winter weather can cause the indicator to go off making it just an exercise in trying to avoid warranty obligations.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: metavisor

You should keep yourself with the latest developments and stop using outdated facts.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/02/01/apple-relaxes-warranty-policy-involving-iphones-liquid-contact-indicator/

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Jeebus

"Apple will of course replace it free of charge, as they do for anything that leaves the customer unhappy."

Yeah, just like they did with the iPhone 4's antenna issues.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Jeebus

That's been settled in the US. That none problem. It was the highest selling single handset. If it didn't work people wouldn't buy it and apple wouldn't be making huge profits. But don't let facts get in the way of making a pointless comment that only reveals your own opinion and inability to face a fact or two

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no problem, software fix no doubt

I expect they'll follow the same route as they did with the iphone 4 problem and "fix" it with a software update to ensure iOS reports signal strength/speed "correctly".

5. jai

no issues noticed on mine

i've got a 4G 3G + Wifi model here in the uk and haven't noticed any problem with the wifi signal.

so i guess perhaps it's just a bad batch in the production line?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Dare I say it ?

You're holding it wrong !

Sorry, couldn't resist.

1. AdamChew

Re: Dare I say it ?

Yawn, yawn

It's already dead so why flog the dead horse. (pun intended)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Design

That's what happens when you put a fashion designer in charge of technology.

8. Shardik
    FAIL

Slow news day El Reg?

Only about 2 weeks behind the ball, and regurgitating the ooooh my pad gets a little bit warm when I use it. Sad sad sad

9. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Joke

Message from above

It's the user's fault, they must have confused NFC with WiFi.

Not that big of a deal.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about the 3G issues?

I was expecting an El Reg article soon about iPad 3 connectivity, but didn't expect it to be with wireless. There are a number of iPad3 owners having issues with 3G (including myself) as detailed in the following Apple forum:..

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3819552?start=0&tstart=0

Other then replace the hardware (which doesn't fix the fault), Apple support seem powerless to do anything about it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Several reports already talk of hardware overheating

The article mentions 'Several reports already talk of hardware overheating'

No, they talk of the iPad running a bit warmer. Overheating implies that the raised temperature is causing failures.

There's some sloppy writing in the Reg recently

12. the-it-slayer
    Facepalm

Ready, aim...

...RENAME! I think El Reg is almost ready to rebrand reghardware as regapplerapestoriesforlaughs. Please El Reg, I think you've given fandroids enough to cream off over the last few weeks. Stop letting your apprentices much the site with short-story crap.

Real-story: Probably a dodgy batch with a loose wire because they went through the factory like speedy gonzales on crack-cocaine.

1. the-it-slayer
      FAIL

Re: Ready, aim...

I did mean muck. But my keyboard decided "h" was the better letter. D'oh!

1. 404
        Trollface

Question!

New iPad keyboard or 'other'?

;)

13. HP Cynic

So far I've only heard bad reports about this device:

1. too hot

2. screen actually ruins older content

3. the (fake) 4G does not work outside the USA

4. and now the WiFi is crap

Anyone bought one and actually liked the upgrade?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't believe the hype

1. Debunked - 'problem' blown out of proportion for page hits - like many other 'problems'

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/26/2903454/new-ipad-temperature-comparison

2. only png's

3. Well known - most people get the wifi model outside the US

4. Some people - how many? Certainly not all

Loads of people - Huge customer satisfaction ratings. Apples quarterly results are out April 24 and then we'll see how many they've sold. It'll be lots

14. PaulR79

WiFi isn't what I'd expect from anything using an N signal. I was surprised when I lost connectivity near the front of the house last week. I wanted to see how the screen would handle bright sun (quite well actually) but losing signal completely had me confused for a minute until I realised why pages weren't loading. If I use my Desire HD I can still see the signal half way down the street.

Both devices can access wireless N, one is new, one is around 18 months old. If I had to guess which had the worse signal I'd be picking the 18 month old phone but it isn't. Even sitting in the same room as the router I don't always get full signal and while it isn't really an issue for what I use it for it doesn't bode well.

15. Euchrid

What does El Reg's reviewer think?

Did they have any problems when testing it?

16. Canadian
    Devil

Funny, if this was RIM users reporting this/these issues the industry would be crucifying them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Canadian

Yup, and Apple users would be telling all of the BB users to go get an iProduct because "it just works"

17. Fab De Marco
    Boffin

Can anyone clarify the Science behind the comparrisons

OK basic Scientific principles here. How the hell are these comparisson tests being conducted.

I have a horrible feeling that they are looking at the bars and damning the thing as faulty.

Take an iPad 2 and and iPad 3.

1. Turn on ONE of the devices.

2. Find a ping testing app (I am an Fandroid but I am almost sure such an app must exist)

3. Perform ping tests on several web sites measuring the response times on each one and record them.

4. Turn Off the Device

5. Repeat steps 1-4 using the other device and record differences.

6. Take another iPad 2 and iPad 3 repeat steps 1-5

7. Repeat step 6

8. Display your information in a usable form to gives the best comparrsion and conclude whether or not the problem exists.

I can't stand Apple and will choose Android every time... But I hate inaccurate science even more.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: Can anyone clarify the Science behind the comparrisons

Slightly baffled why some ne'er-do-wells found the need to downvote your sensible suggestion. Funny old world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: why some ne'er-do-wells found the need to downvote

Because pinging a few web servers doesn't really show the nature or extent of the problem?

18. kompani101

Reviews

Didn't all those blogs and web nerds who reviewed and salivated over the new iPad do da not test it and tell their readers it doesn't work? Was it all just a rehash of the Apple waffle. Come on nerd guys and gals get a grip and test the bl**dy stuff so we don't waste our hard earned dosh on tech that doesn't work.

19. Winkypop Silver badge
    Windows

3G WiFi iPad 3

All good here.

Not a problem to behold.

Just loads of Jobsian goodness [TM]

...and I'm a PC/ Windows 'tard of old.

20. Jeebus

Also lets not forget an "impartial and unbiased" news site, I won't name it by name, merely post their website link to their article has upgraded their reviews of the iPad from mediocre to the best thing in the history of the universe after being lent on by Apple.

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/04/new-apple-ipad-tops-our-tablet-ratings.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This was the site that made up the antennagate story.

You got a citation for Apple leaning on them? No of course not, it didn't happen. Just trolling as ever

21. Andrew Jones 2
    Meh

To the people writing the problem off - I suggest you actually take a look at the support forum.

* The problem occurs across a wide range of routers, including Apple's own.

*There appears to be a death grip problem on units affected by the poor WiFi - but the death grip is not the cause of the problem - it is a symptom.

* The problem has been reported across several countries

* The problem occurs in devices purchased online AND in-store.

* The problem has been confirmed by Genius staff in various Apple stores - by directly comparing iPad2's with iPad3's.

* Most testing has been done with the SpeedTest.net app - for testing throughput - but the most common issue reported does not need an app to test it - the WiFi simply disconnects and refuses to reconnect - while it works fine in the same location using other devices.

It's easy to claim there is not a problem and write it off without actually researching what people are experiencing.

The same issue advice should be applied to the heat issue - the device might not be overheating - but some people report that it is uncomfortable to hold it when it get's hot - whether it is overheating or not is immaterial - if people find it uncomfortable to hold - that is a problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps you should read the comments.

The issue isn't wide spread. A lot of hype about the heat, same with the antenna etc.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/26/2903454/new-ipad-temperature-comparison

regarding the heat. Too hot to hold? Purely subjective

1. Notas Badoff
        FAIL

"Perhaps you should read the comments."

I have, and I see your bois-ish apologetics repeated ad-nauseum above. "Purely subjective" indeed...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: "Perhaps you should read the comments."

I see the same Fandroids make the same jokes over and over again.

The difference is of course when a story refutes a previous claim, you chose to believe the previous claim because it supports your point of view

You're not interested in facts or being impartial.

The real fact of the matter is that apple is hugely successful because they make products that people want, that work and that people have experienced for themselves and know from their own experience that sensational headlines are just that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: sensational headlines are just that.

Sensational headlines? Actually just reports of unhappy Apple users with faulty Apple products, but apparently you refuse to believe that either exists.

22. Naughtyhorse
    WTF?

consequence of the glue Apple uses in the manufacturing plant.

wtf???

when did apple start manufacturing stuff?

i think we should be told

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People feel strongly about this but...

I have a iPhone 3GS through work and bought a iPad 3 simply because the screen looked awesome , i dont have a laptop and wanted something that didn't require me to power up my beast of a pc to check a web page ( work don't like us using their devices on non work related stuff) . Bottom line is:

iPad gets warm, not hot, after 30 mins on a game or hd movie but never a problem or uncomfortable.

Iphone 3Gs seems to have a similar wifi range and speed over same distance. This is using a "n" router but the 3GS doesn't have n capability so one would expect the iPad to be far superior. Sorry folks - it ain't.

24. WaneUnit

Fact

Ok have a 3GS and iPad 3. No axe to grind, as said before iPhone is a work phone given to me not bought, wanted tablet so bought what was generally understood to be best on market. Speedtest.net at same distance :

iPad

Ping 48

D 3.11

U .20

3GS

Ping 58

D 4.78

U 1.31

Something not right here

1. Michael Xion
      Thumb Up

Re: Fact

Same genre. Have wok supplied 3GS and bought myself new iPad on launch day. Tested using work network via speed test.net

3GS

39ms ping

8.78 up

10.38 down

iPad

25ms ping

12.1 up

14.89 down

Also have not noticed any difference between the two in ability o receive signal. iPad is 16gb wi-fi only.

Suspect any issues are related to bad batch and/or the '4g' versions.

25. b166er

When you say 'replace it free of charge', does that mean the iPad 4 will have to cost more to cover the cost of replacing all the iPad 3's?

Or do you mean Apple will foot the bill?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Neither

It just means you have to plug it into a wall socket when you get home. You still have to pay for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No. Apple will drop the price of this iPad when the new one is released like they did with the iPad2.

The previous iPad that outsold all other tablets. You know the one. The one that's still cheaper than Android tablets like the Xoom and Transformer

26. Offthewall

No wifi issues with new iPad here

Ive got no issues so far with wifi on my new iPad. It shows the same signal strength as my air and gives identical speed test numbers.

http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/236246650.png

1. WaneUnit

Re: No wifi issues with new iPad here

How far are you from the router ? I'm on 30 meg connection and up close as in 6ft I get 29.79 on the iPad . The 3Gs can only manage about 9 at the same distance but I put that down to the 3GS having less horsepower/hardware. At 50 metres the 3GS pisses all over it

27. RAMChYLD
    Boffin

Snags?

one: Still isn't launched in Malaysia. Then again, it wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't this handful of apps that only exist for the device that I must regularly use...

28. Dapprman
    Unhappy

Explains an issue I have

I've got a wifi 3rd generation iPad. Signal strength wise it seems fine and I've not tested speed. At home I've not had any issues, perhaps because I've not seen any (as will be explained in a tick).

At work we have a 'public wireless network' that requires authentication when you connect. With my phone I log in when I arrive and it still works when I leave. If I head out for lunch on return and my new conenction I have to re-authenticate. On my iPad I find I have to re-authenticate after only around 4-5 minutes on inactivity, where as colelagues with iPad2s have no such problem.

I suspect some thing is causing my iPad to drop and reconnect regularly and the only reason i've not noticed it at home is there I have just WPA key and MAC address access lists as security.

Time to see if this is one of the common complaints and then plan a trip to a near by Apple store

1. Dapprman
      Alert

Re: Explains an issue I have

Just tested speed using speedtest.net along side my HTC Desire Z using the same tester and same target location.

Run side by side multiple times and on every occasion my iPad gets better results than my phone, so looks like losing connection is my only issue, but a right PITA one.

1. Dapprman
        Happy

Re: Explains an issue I have

Ok turns out that in my case it's not the issue, mine is fine - it's our wireless routers - the iPad 2 guys suffer the same. Guess by the sounds of things I'm one of the lucky people with fully working wifi.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like