back to article Big Blue preps 'next gen' machines that manage themselves

IBM is getting ready to launch a new server platform, known internally as the "Next Generation Platform" and also known by that moniker in discussions with business partners that have been briefed over several weeks. Externally the NGP machine is being called an "expert integrated system", and it will debut in two weeks. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spearchucker Jones
    Megaphone

Not new.

So they're creating a server that installs itself. Yawn. Srsly.

I'm not saying Microsoft are better than IBM (or anyone else) but they popularised that ages ago. Red Dog was the platform that delivered it (Red Dog became Azure).

The idea is to build recoverable applications. There's a tiering system that, when there's an exception of any sort, works something like:

1). Re-start the application.

2). If that fails, re-install the application.

3). If that fails, re-start the OS.

4). If that fails, re-image the VM (includes the app).

So IBM're pitching servers at cloud vendors and private clouds. No surprise they're injecting all that unintelligible marketing speak into their launch. You have big expensive IBM tim competing for cloud business with cheap commodity X86.

1. Spearchucker Jones

Re: Not new.

IBM tin, I meant, not tim. £$&%!!

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Oh. Has Tim left IBM then?

:D

Sorry.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, I think we can all agree that Windows Server has perfected fault tolerance and OS automation... or the exact opposite.

2. Aaron Em

expert systems again oh jesus

And, as everyone remembers, there's nothing like a dribbling "expert system" to reduce the amount of hands-on administration time...

1. T. Woods
      Go

Re: expert systems again oh jesus

What goes by the name of "expert systems" has evolved quite a bit in the past 10 years, learning from the mistakes of the Big Disappointment in the 80s and 90s. I'm confident that IBM is ready to make a fresh hell of this rather than just warmed up leftovers. I think it'll be fascinating to watch, since I won't have to deal with it.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do these expert systems automatically install the outdated JVM, umpteen agents, and some apparently pointless but mandatory Tivoli junk requiring 4 GB to run too?

4. Ilgaz

Sounds familiar

IBM had the "self managing" idea for ages. Perhaps this time it works. The one I remember was using the community knowledge (automated and anonymous) to fix things.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like