back to article Chelsio box-o-SSDs does 1.1 million IOPS

Chelsio, a network adapter card supplier, will demo a 1.1 million IOPS SAN array at SNW Dallas. They make it sound easy. All you stuff is stuff four Micron P320h PCIe SSDs in a box, add a Chelsio 10GbitE T4 unified wire adapter, and its Unified Storage Server (USS) software running, presumably, on an X86 processor. This is the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

:squints::

I have built hardware that does that for the last couple years, or maybe even a decade or so. It ain't exactly difficult. Personally, for an OS I use BSD, not products from Redmond.

But then I'm a Usenet admin at heart ;-)

2. Craig Vaughton
    Happy

Faster?

Will this make iTunes run any faster?

3. Morg

Meh

Nothing to see here ?

I don't get it. why does anyone even mention that type of crap anymore, when just one pciE card can do the million IOPS all by itself ... Yes ok, you need to have to take care of other things, provide a few basic functionalities, but then all that's just copy/paste.

And besides, their 1.1 million IOPS solution is a piece of crap, since there's absolutely no redundancy or w/e - really nothing to see and as another one already said, lolwtf microsoft ?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Windows is the CLIENT

Earlier commentards: You do realise the Windows is the CLIENT here don't you? Running iSCSI initiator? The initiator might as well be Linux, BSD, OSX, VMWare, whatever - I suspect they chose Windows because it's visually easy to use in a demonstration. The actual spec of the storage box makes ZERO mention of using Windows to run it, it uses their USS software.

5. Jim Anstiss

@Jake and Morg

As I read the story it was the iSCSI initiators that ran Win2k8r2 not the target, which runs their USS software (some cooked Linux distro?)

I imagine the reason there are 4 of the p320h SSD's is to stretch performance from 750k IOps each to 1m+ for the array and to add some fault tolerance.

Perhaps I didn't understand and should re-read the story again.

1. Morg

Re: @Jake and Morg

Nah that's pretty much it . but win2k8r2 is a wtf in itself, anywhere it's used as a server that is.

Just a bit about the fault tolerance, there's a fat chance that the 1m+ is in raid0 and including ram cache.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Jake and Morg

Win 2008 R2 is a perfectly decent server if you use it for the right things... hard to replicate the full features of a 2008R2 domain controller with a non-WIndows OS for example. And if you need network drives rather than just have some SMB NAS unit you might mount an iSCSI volume so you can make good use of DFS namespaces etc.

Windows AND Linux have a place in sensible pragmatic IT, anti-Microsoft zealot-ism is just immature really.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like