back to article Toshiba AT200 Excite

At only 7.7mm thick, Toshiba boasts that its new tablet is the slimmest yet and it’s a claim I can’t argue with either. Dubbed the Excite in the US and the rather less exciting AT200 elsewhere, Tosh's slim slab is 0.9mm thinner than the previous title holder, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1. While the Apple iPad 2 seems positively …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Boothy

So a 2011 speced tablet launched in 2012?

See title, seems to be a bit pointless.

It's not fast enough for a current model, and is overpriced for budget one!?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exactly right

I bought a 32GB Xoom from CPW last week for £250. Pretty good value I reckon, was a toss up between that and a PlayBook but wanted a 10 incher. Yes the Tosh is thinner and lighter but so what? Like the review says, too much, too late.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

value

it is not. Either "great" or... any.

Oh well, it'll be obsolete by next Tuesday anyway. Well, ok, by Thursday, tops.

4. the-it-slayer
    Facepalm

Thinner...

...sheeemer. The important thing is the UI experience more than the physical device it is. Shame the robot software is running even further behind in that aspect. I do really like Tosh's design, but it's like trying to polish a turd. The software is the turd =).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thinner...

You need to be quicker, it took a whole 5 posts till the first apple fanboi.

1. Silverburn

You're making the assumption he's a fanboi, because he did a downer on Android?

Maybe he's just an Anti-fandroid?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Maybe he's just an Anti-fandroid?"

see history of his apple fanboi posts

1. Silverburn
            Thumb Down

Whereas all your posts are open to the same scrutiny, eh AC?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

if I wasn't anon, the boss would be able to tell that I wasn't working

5. Niall

Nice tablet but too late

I read about this nice looking tablet about 6 months ago, but I ended up buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab because I figured this was vapourware. Which it was. Should have been released 6 months ago. Spec is out of date now.

6. Piro Silver badge

Spec is fine

We don't need crazy quad cores just to browse the web.

That said, the cost is too high.. and Honeycomb? Oh dear.

Slash £150 off and toss ICS on it and you have a nice piece of kit.

7. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

I've had this tablet for several months, though the Japanese branding is AT 700. I'm mostly quite satisfied and could provide detailed comments, but my main reaction to the review is that the reviewer has destroyed his credibility with his favorable references to ASUS. It's possible I just had bad luck, but my experience with an ASUS tablet was incredibly negative, and it was at the ASUS end, mostly their so-called support via their website that completely destroyed any value in their specifications.

As regards my AT 200, I mostly use it for email (with voice input), Internet radio (where the speakers are as important as his review suggested), some Web browsing, and some Japanese study games. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it, but I don't feel like it's as 'mature' as the iPad. If Toshiba is sincere, I think they can push into the market, but it's going to be a tough fight and I wouldn't want to bet on any of the Android horses yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let me get this right...

you think the reviewer should modify his opinions because you have had one bad experience with ASUS' customer support in a country on the other side of the planet (Japan)?

I don't know if the reviewer owns an Asus tablet or has just used them for review but I do (a Transformer Prime) and it's worked pretty perfectly from day one including the ICS update. OK, the GPS lock being a bit wobbly but I never us the GPS radio so that's no loss to me.

So you've had a bad experience with ASUS and HTC customer support, get over it and for the love of God quit repeating the story.

2. Random K
      Thumb Down

ASUS + ICS = <3

Judging a technology company by it's support is like judging a restaurant by it's service. Both will vary immensely depending on who you're dealing with and what kind of day they've had. It's the device and software (or food) that you're after. As a one-man IT department in the SMB space I've had good and bad experiences with any manufacturer you'd like to come up with. In our office with have about a dozen Transformer TF101s and 2 Primes (for the execs). ICS runs flawlessly on all of them, built in VPN is transparent to the user, and I get to apply chrome group policy to every device and desktop at once. I was impressed enough with the TF101 I bought one myself. My non-techie wife liked it so much she went out and got an ASUS laptop. That too works great.

At work we also have a few iPads and one iPad2, but they pretty much just sit in the cabinet. They can't run our custom in-house apps and are basically only useful as toys in the break room. You are right to suggest that Honeycomb is an immature OS, even Google has admitted as much, but don't lump ASUS in with Toshiba's clearly colossal failure.

8. Marvin the Martian
    Meh

Why keep making the same tablets by copying the same ideas?

Why not copy another idea?

I'd pay good money for a good pressure-sensitive tablet that's functionable when connected to a PC. That PC will be running Adobe CS, and we have a good, low-end competitor for a Wacom Cintiq.

9. technome

Yep!

The world's thinnest, lightest tablet...

... and it's got an app ecosystem to match.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why buy this when an iPad 2 is £70 cheaper unless you had to have Android?

What rubs me is they won't even say if ICS will be available <fail>

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No ICS and poor build quality - and they want to sell this against the other Android tablets or an iPad 2 / 3 - it's not even as good as an iPad 2 'was' so what hope have they trying to flog a less well made tablet against the iPad 3 for the same cash...? Sure to some it must be Android - but there are better available.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

another me-too device

The miniscule thinness doesn't make it any different from the rest.

The current "best" Android tablet is obviously the Asus Transformer Prime, with its good specs, brilliant (in every sense of the word) screen, the keyboard and its battery (and connectivity) advantages.

Samsung's phletora of TAB devices come second, as the most "ipad-like" devices - slim, well built and devoid of real connectivity. I don't like the look of TouchWiz though, but maybe that's just me.

Even Sony tried something different with its coffee-table design, and its universal remote thing (infrared). If I was picking between Tegra 2 devices (and had passed over the original Asus Transformer for some reason), I'd pick this one. I'm shallow, I like the different folded magazine kind of design.

This Toshiba may be OK, but it doesn't have anything different going for it. No signature, no endearing quirk, no nothing. Boring, forgettable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like