back to article Angry Birds want to be Donald Duck

Angry Birds short form content is coming to every connected device as creators Rovio move deeper into becoming an entertainment company in the style of Disney. Yes, Disney. Rovio's head of animation Nick Dorra tod the MIPTV conference in Cannes that the company did not want to be viewed as an EA wannabe but more of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

One Trick Pony?

They have a hit game (the likes of which have existed before them, but they did it well and got lucky), but not compelling characters. People watch series etc for compelling characters, they need a point of engagement, and frankly I don't see that with the Roxio stable. Go on, name some birds, and tell me its main character traits... Much easier for Disney's lot - Mickey (happy go-lucky, enthusiastic, all-American), Donald (cheeky, often frustrated), you get the idea.

1. MacroRodent
      Happy

Re: One Trick Pony?

> Go on, name some birds, and tell me its main character traits...

A funny coincidence: Yesterday I asked my 6-year old son something like this after he had been playing Angry birds in space with his cousin (she had just got the Space version on her iPad), and he had no trouble talking about the characters of various birds and pigs. In fact, the discussion started after he asked me what is my favourite angry bird, and I was like what, aren't they all the same?

I think the trouble is you and I see the phenomenon from an adult perspective, without realizing that the real target audience of this kind of entertainment doesn't need such subtleties. Comparison with Disney is appropriate. Go look at some early Disney cartoons, and the characters in them really are more or less at the same level as the angry birds. All action.

2. Arctic fox
    Unhappy

Oh God help me! I was going to ask if anyone can get me off this planet.........

"The Finnish gaming disrupter’s Angry Birds characters will soon be on your high street, building activity parks in your suburb, launching an animated series and within two years starring in a feature film, according to creators Rovio."

...........but then I remembered that those homicidal poultry are, allegedly, in space now as well. Where can I hide?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: Oh God help me! I was going to ask if anyone can get me off this planet.........

Perhaps they wanted to do a more relaxed bird game? Except that the name mellow birds is already used.

1. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

Re: "Except that the name mellow birds............ "

LOL.

3. flying_walrus

Porous ideal, surely

Not killed a biped yet, afaik.

4. Karirunc

Yeah Cliff, they call Google that too... and good on you attacking an fluffy cartoon character! I just happen to feel little more optimistic about the game, their future prospect, and the undeniable phenomena they have created. Disney also started with initial character.. and it took little longer for them to build the company, without the distribution networks and channels available nowadays. Luck is something every company will need at some stage - how else should you differentiate between competition? I thinks you just hate the game and have some sour grapes for whatever reason. Even if they shut down tomorrow, they have done amazingly well.

5. Irongut

They want to be thought of like Disney???

So they want to be thought of as anti-semitic capitalist whores who'll do anything to squeze the last penny from the world's children and their parents? Great role model there guys.

6. TeeCee Gold badge

With that much more than they can chew bitten off.......

.....they'll be Donald Ducked soon enough all right.

7. Adam T

Imagine, if all Disney had was birds and pigs.

I can accept that kids love Angry Birds. They also love Teletubbies, Beiber, Fraggle Rock and The Muppets.

Maybe everyone popular with kids should be like Disney. I'll finally have my excuse to go live at the bottom of the sea. (in Spongebob World).

This topic is closed for new posts.