back to article The best April 1 gags … or were they?

April 1 has come and gone for another year and as usual the technology industry got up to no good. It’s hard not to like Atlassian’s new product: IRKD. The app does for the real world what the company’s JIRA product does for the real world, namely let you list bugs and make them someone else’s problem. Sony slipped out the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TrevorH
    Facepalm

I see that this year even the government joined in the April fool's frenzy with their new monitor everything everywhere law.

Oh, wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Anybody else suspect they timed that deliberately so people wouldn't be sure?

Oh, and also http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/next-doctor-is-female-32205.htm

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and still the biggest april fool is...

ice cream sandwich......

Where are you?

1. Phil W
        Thumb Down

Re: and still the biggest april fool is...

Running on my Archos G9 tablet?

2. Ilgaz

Even funnier

actually, it is very likely that when it finally ships to 98% one way or another, it will be outdated. Right, android 5 ships this summer or something.

Google team should have used April 1 to disgrace the vendors still messing with their hacks. They could say "section 4.1 in agreement gives us rights to update 2.3 devices to 4.x. We are rolling out updates for all brands! They will run stock android"

You can guess what would happen. Everyone would opt in.

3. Mike Judge
        FAIL

Re: and still the biggest april fool is...

Running fine on my Asus Transformer, and just been approved for release on my Xperia Arc S.

Thanks for asking.

1. Ilgaz

Even vista had better rate

Running on 2% of total android devices. Your asus is also part of the 2%.

It doesn't have backwards compatibility (even google have 2 youtube clients), it needs double of RAM without any explanation, optimized for a cpu which is still a luxury item for majority of install base.

Want me to continue about why people joke about it?

Media is forgiving since you don't want to mess with a gigantic advertising broker. If it was Nokia who dared to ship a symbian like that, you would see the circus.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or that America now requires...

...to authorise British passengers boarding flights that don't even go to America or fly over it.

Yes they can now say whether you are allowed to fly from Britain to another country!

Apparently not an April Foll's Day gag!

The Independent

2. borkbork
    Thumb Up

personally...

I liked Notch's name for Mojang's new space game:

http://marseffect.net/

Especially funny given the 'scrolls' brouhaha.

Had me going for a while, till I woke up enough to realise what day it was.

3. scarshapedstar
    Happy

Who cares

I'm too busy reserving the Criterion Collection release of Kindergarten Cop!

http://www.criterion.com/films/28373-kindergarten-cop

4. Ralphe Neill

One you missed ...

Richard Stallman To Launch His Own Fashion Line ... it appeared all over the place but a good example can be found at:

http://techlaze.com/2012/03/richard-stallman-to-launch-his-own-fashion-line/

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: One you missed ...

And you missed Jessop's "Hover Pod" flying tripod.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Jessops_in_hover_tripod_April_Fools_prank_news_312061.html

5. Andrew Moore

I liked...

AdBlock turning all the blocked frames into cat pictures.

1. Lil Pete
      Thumb Up

Re: I liked...

I did wonder why my internet was suddenly covered in cats!

6. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

IRKD may be taking off

Recent entries at IRKD (but amongst a lot of spam and random typing):

IRKD-330 - Leaving dirty dishes on top of empty dishwasher

IRKD-332 - Otherwise-attractive women with moustaches

IRKD-334 - Your Cats

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given notch's scrolls problem

I'd of been tempted to announce a new Sim-style game that allows us to simulate social interactions and difficulties in relationships, and called it Fall-Out.

8. Petrea Mitchell
    Trollface

Responsibility claimed for 8-bit maps

Reportedly, Square Enix is claiming the Google Maps change is due to Dragonlord Alefgard conquering it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-04-01/japan-anime-manga-game-creators-celebrate-april-fool-day

1. Steve Knox

Re: Responsibility claimed for 8-bit maps

Well, if you look at the map data copyright in the lower right, it does include Square Enix when in "Quest" mode.

9. Gannon (J.) Dick
    Black Helicopters

In all seriousness ...

Once again, the day after April Fools falls on the second of the month.

Your Tinfoil Hat can't protect you if you don't wear it. Wake Up, Sheeple!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
  10. Craig Foster
    Unhappy

Damn!

I was hoping for a use for my LaserDisc player :(

11. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Losing the Plot and a Nation........ in a very Peculiar Parliamentary Coup with No Vision

I can think of nothing more quickly and inadequately designed to destroy the puppet charade that is Parliamentary party democracy, along with the respect of a nation for the present Queen which will lead to the rapid crumbling of the House of Windsor should ER indoors be persuaded to take any part in such a fantastic fascist plot, which will also make any ISP unwilling or unable to comply with extremely onerous provision of internet traffic information, a probable target for enhanced state surveillance, as would be the result of that phishy proposal for spooky intervention into everyone's lives not being an excellent April Fools joke, and way over the top of decent good taste.

It does have one wondering about an Oxford Five hiding in full and transparent sight in the Cabinet Office, hell bent on outdoing the earlier infamous Cambridge team's effort, with a Bullingdon Bombe political cricket attack of their own, which would appear to be somewhat in dishonourable honourable members DNA, by all Wikipedia accounts ........"The Wisden Cricketer reports that the Bullingdon is "ostensibly one of the two original Oxford University cricket teams but it actually used cricket merely as a respectable front for the mischievous, destructive or self-indulgent tendencies of its members"." ......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

IT just aint cricket though, old bean, is it, to use political office for destroying hoods and nations rather than building them. Such steps are well beyond the crease of crass incompetence and ventures more than just a toe into realms of contrived anarchy and ill-advised personal empire building ..... and that is CHAOS quite beyond normal mortal controls, methinks.

How about ......... governments offering peoples that which they need to prevent thoughts of conflicts and mayhem, because of their present situation? Is that future production just too intellectually challenging for those reliant upon taxing and the public purse for their existence and continued survival?

How about the Intelligence Services, both Secret and Security? Is such Future Production, which is also AI and Virtual Reality Promotion and easily delivered nowadays with SMART InterIndependent Networking and Beta IT Projects, beyond their current in-house capabilities too, or do they have an AIMaster Pilot Plan for Special Applications ProgramMING with Crack Virtual Terrain Team Leaders ....... Novel AIPathFinders, already all ready, and already practising stealthy moves, all autonomous and anonymous and astute, on every necessary front?

A simple ....Yes, we do. ...... is all that is required when true. If that cannot, in all truthfulness, be provided, then obviously would there then be a quite surreal and absolutely fabulous fabless opportunity for any and all Great IT Game Players to provide HyperRadioProActive ProgramMING, and which you can be hereby assured, is no April Fool of a joke.

And offered now, as it is here, would it cause something of a quandary for governments and intelligence services, should they continue to choose to studiously ignore it , for what would that tell one and all about the present state of their ability and facilities which are/is bound to be a reflection on the suitability of their mentoring and monitoring of future capabilities.

A little something, El Reg, for Team UKGBNI Shoreditch to Woodstock Venture capitalise for remote spooky ÜberMensch control should government fail to understand and surmount future obvious hurdles?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Losing the Plot and a Nation........ in a very Peculiar Parliamentary Coup with No Vision

I don't think this will destroy the coalition at all. No, it will be far stronger under the leadership of David Davis who is, after all, the only senior tory who is neither a toff nor pro-snooping.

He already owns the leadership because he won it first-past-the-post in 2005 and we know how much the Tories believe in the sanctity of FPTP. Cameron only stole victory in the third round of an AV-style election.

2. KeGoMacK
      Thumb Up

Re: Losing the Plot and a Nation........ in a very Peculiar Parliamentary Coup with No Vision

amanfromMars1 for PM, I say!

12. Grumpy Fellow
    Linux

Floating Wanda (the Fish)

Wanda the Fish who has been swimming happily in my Gnome panel for years suddenly was still and floating belly up (not sure a fish has the tits required to go tits-up). When clicked upon, instead of a random fortune, I got a message that the water needed changing. Once into April 2nd, GMT?, she resumed her normal swim. That was scary.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

People don't think things through anymore :(

Which is my main gripe. Over here in Holland some idiot (personal opinion of course) though it to be fun to construct a sea-bomb (the WW2 thingie) from foam and dump it into a pond. Needless to say; it attracted quite the attention; from police, explosive experts and the lot.

Call me old fashioned if you will but those aren't jokes anymore. People who are planning a joke should try to think about the consequences. What maybe fun for you might be a nightmare for others.

And well; to me the jokes are getting lamer, more shallow and plain out dumb by the year. You don't have to overdo it in order to fool people in a fun way you know.

"OMG, Halleys comet is going to land RIGHT HERE" just doesn't do it these days...

14. Arctic fox
    Happy

I have to say that my vote goes to the "ice-age ankle biters".*............

.........the thought of sabre-tooth lemmings is irresistible, it's so good it ought to be true.

*Headline from the linked article.

15. Adam Azarchs

Toshiba's

Toshiba's seems to preempt the Apple patent issue.

1. Ralph B

I thought that too. Perhaps it also explains why Toshiba's "Oblong" was actually not oblong but oval.

16. Mike Judge
    IT Angle

Resistance 3

Pretty darn cool eastereggs on April 1st.

Half Life...

17. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Google Tap was my favourite

I reckon some wag will actually do this! Brilliant!

https://mail.google.com/mail/help/promos/tap/index.html#tap-features

1. A J Stiles

Re: Google Tap was my favourite

Someone already has ..... the default SMS alert on Nokia phones has been "... -- ..." since I had a 5110.

18. Andy Miller
    Boffin

Industry Standards

Forget these marketing led consumer gadgets. How can you overlook real progress in the industry standards these fripperies are based on?

The NULL packet http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6592

Service Undiscovery Using Hide-and-Go-Seek for the Domain Pseudonym System (DPS) http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6593

19. Big O

xkcd posted a variety of different comics - depending on browser/OS/location etc.

See their forums for some of the variations: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=82442

1. Yag

XKCD...

This explains why I could not even access their site for the weekend...

2. AdamWill
      Thumb Up

xkcd. Yes.

yes, xkcd wins. no-one else was even in the running.

there's no 'they', really, when it comes to xkcd, remember. xkcd is Randall. well, he has some logistical support, but he draws all the cartoons.

he drew a cartoon which expands and shrinks and moves panels around as you resize your browser window. he drew cartoons specific to your browser agent. he drew cartoons specific to particular referrers (going from twitter to xkcd gave a special cartoon, so did going from 4chan to xkcd). he drew cartoons specific to people coming from IP blocks owned by specific companies (Google and Microsoft at least). he drew cartoons specific to particular geographic locations - certain states (california, alaska...), countries (canada, germany (specifically berlin)), even references to very specific tech conferences occurring at the time. it was a freaking herculean effort. there's threads still trying to catalog all the different strips.

winner, by a country mile.

20. ChrisM

Hungry Hippos for IPAD

I actually want that to happen..

21. Parax

Steve Jobs Movie

Ashton Kutcher to play Steve Jobs

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052143

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Steve Jobs Movie

Waaaa!? surely this is a joke.. but why is it still being reported.

22. Stephen 11
    Go

Another Missed Apil Fools - SkyCMD

Microsoft thought they would have a go by adding a retro command-line interface for their skydrive service, named skycmd. It has its own website and yes it actually works.

1. AdamWill

Re: Another Missed Apil Fools - SkyCMD

the sad thing is that Microsoft thinks an efficient command line tool is an April Fool's joke...

23. Daf L

I thought the Gmail Multitap was awesome!

Especially the multitasking mode....

Gmail Tap

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought the Gmail Multitap was awesome!

but they really messed it up.. why two buttons have they never seen a real morse key... One button with time sensitivity, they really could/should have got this right...

1. Christian Berger

Actually you'd think one button would work, however for that you need proper morse keys which aren't just pressed like a button, but moved up and down in a precise manner. I doubt it's possible to emulate that on a touch screen.

Also there are less experienced operators. They might not get their timing right at decent speeds. So having 3 buttons certainly makes sense.

They did think that through and it actually is a fairly interesting idea.

1. Ramiro
          Headmaster

I *loved* it. If someone implements this, I *promise* I'll finally learn morse code.

Can't be more difficult than hiragana/katakana.

24. fixit_f
    Thumb Up

GoPro

http://gopro.com/p/livestock-mount/

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Game

Was this an April fool, I wouldn't even put these guys chances of survival on the high street as high as HMV's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17578451

1. BoxedSet

Re: Game

Hmm perhaps a new oxymoron being born "business sense".... it would seem that it is not, GAME OVER!

And in other shock news, Apple drops all its current raft of litigation against other companies. No wait......

26. ADJB

Gutted about iPad Hungry Hippos....

being an April fool, I thought that, at last, there was a good reason to buy one.

27. paulc
    Thumb Up

iPad Hungry Hippos?

there's precedent for such a thing...

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2341&e=product&pcat=bulnl&pid=64176

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laugh-Learn-Apptivity-Case/dp/B004UU9W78

28. plrndl
    Linux

Computers that do useful work are so 20th century

My vote goes to Distrowatch for "Gnome 4 Beta".

29. Identity
    Joke

You missed

this missive from EFF:

View as a web page

https://supporters.eff.org/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=169

EFFector! Electronic Frontier Foundation

In our 605th issue:

UPDATES

MINILINKS

ANNOUNCEMENTS

MPAA Announces Kickstarter Campaign for Film Decrying Internet's Impact on Creative Works

In a statement posted on its Wordpress blog this week, the MPAA announced that it will respond to the Internet's "destructive" effect on creative works with a new PSA, to be funded on the crowd-funding platform Kickstarter. "Rampant content theft -- or as we call it, creativity murder -- makes it impossible to promote ideas online," according to a Tweet from MPAA chairman Chris Dodd. "For a pledge of $50, backers will receive an exclusive DVD copy of 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked' in 3D."

Google's New "Nude View" Program Raises Privacy Concerns

Privacy advocates are calling foul on a new partnership between Google and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) that would index the backscatter x-ray images taken at airline security checkpoints. "This will help singles get a first look even before the first date," said a Google spokesman. "Google Nude View," as the program is called, represents the first major initiative for the company since it changed its venerable slogan from "Don't Be Evil" to "Mwahahaha!"

RIAA, ISPs Introducing New "Hunger Games" Penalties for Infringers

RIAA chairman Cary Sherman has announced a new agreement between his organization and some of the largest American ISPs that would require subscribers accused of infringement to compete in a televised gladitorial battle to the death. Sherman responded this week to concerns about the severity of the program saying, "Obviously we don't think that all of the infringers selected as tributes should meet their death in the arena. Presumably one of them makes it out alive."

Patent Office Sued Over Patent on Issuing Patents

The US Patent and Trademark Office has been forced to halt the issuing of new patents after being sued for violation of patent number #4608919, "System and Method For Granting Limited Monopolies On Inventions."

Reddit Rolling Out "Real Names of Chuck Norris Only" Policy

In a misguided attempt to stifle anonymous speech while "preserving the culture" of the service, the popular social site Reddit recently announced it would institute a "real names only" policy that only allows user to select the name Chuck Norris. While we applaud their ingenuity in avoiding the pitfalls other sites have encountered in determining what does or doesn't look like a "real" name, we remain concerned over the closure of another venue for pseudonymous speech.

New Zealand Leaks New IP Chapter of TPP, Includes Mandate to Give All Alleged Copyright Infringers Free Puppies

The leaked draft of the Trans-Pacific Partnership has not been confirmed by the negotiating parties, but a highly-placed source claims to have overheard the US Trade Representative saying, "Who wouldn't want to snuggle with a puppy while watching their pirated copy of Season 1 Game of Thrones?"

EFF Issues New Guidelines for Mobile Privacy

A new whitepaper on mobile privacy, co-authored by Technology Projects Director Peter Eckersley and Activism Director Rainey Reitman, is one of the most concise yet published by EFF. Titled "Protecting Your Privacy in the Mobile Era," the report consists entirely of the five words "Don't use a mobile phone." This complements EFF's 1991 report: "Don't use electronic mail."

Job Seekers Getting Asked for Farmville Passwords

In an alarming trend, job seekers are increasingly reporting that prospective employers are requiring Farmville passwords or "neighbor" requests from prospective employees. One job seeker, speaking on the condition of anonymity, expressed serious privacy concerns about the trend: "My virtual crops and livestock are sensitive information, and none of my boss' business. I think he's just looking for somebody to harvest his tomatoes."

Karaoke Machine Vendors Must Adhere to "Know Your Customer" Policies

EFF calls on karaoke machine vendors to "know their customer" when selling equipment to governments and the very drunk. While karaoke is "dual use" technology and may be used for legitimate purposes, EFF condemns its use by oppressive over-singers, divas, and Journey fans.

miniLinks

Researchers discover critical flaw in snowflake generation algorithm

Security researchers at the McMurdo research station in Antarctica have published alarming results about insufficient randomness in the generation of new snowflakes. As many as 2 in every 1000 snowflakes is reported to be neither beautiful nor unique.

Bruce Schneier develops security system so clever he can't imagine a way of breaking it

In a nod to his eponymous law, security expert Bruce Schneier has reportedly developed an encryption technique that is so clever that even Bruce Schneier can't figure out how to break it.

Drones: Drones, drones drones, drones?

In drones today, drones drones droney droney drones. According to EFF Activist Trevor Timm, "Drones and drones drone droney drone drone. And nanodrones."

Administrivia

ISSN 1062-9424

EFFector is a publication of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

454 Shotwell Street

San Francisco, CA

94110-1914

USA +1 415 436 9333

+1 415 436 9993 (fax)

eff.org

Editor: Parker Higgins, Activist

editor@eff.org

Membership & donation queries: membership@eff.org

General EFF, legal, policy, or online resources queries: info@eff.org

Reproduction of this publication in electronic media is encouraged. Signed articles do not necessarily represent the views of EFF. To reproduce signed articles individually, please contact the authors for their express permission.

Press releases and EFF announcements & articles may be reproduced individually at will.

Back issues of EFFector

Change your email address

This newsletter is printed from 100% recycled electrons.

EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy. Privacy Policy.

Unsubscribe or change your email preferences, or opt out of all EFF email

454 Shotwell Street

San Francisco, CA 94110-1914

United States

Donate to EFF!

Announcements

Newfie Swallows Intern

EFF-ers mourn the loss of beloved intern Dewey Cheatum, mistaken for a chew toy by resident Newfoundland and Canine Outreach Coordinator Kodi in a lunchtime incident gone horribly wrong. "I keep warning people, he's fast. He can eat a ham sandwich well before a grand jury even thinks of indicting it," said EFF's Legal Director and guardian ad litem for Kodi. Kodi could not be reached for comment, as he was sleeping off his meal.

EFF Releases New Firefox Extension HaTTiPS Everywhere

In order to complement our work in making the Internet more secure, today EFF is releasing a new Firefox extension designed to make the Internet more polite. By forcing the user to send the HaTTiP header to friendly sites, a similarly pleasant header will be returned by the server. "We hope this leads to an uptick in the adoption of civility," says Senior Staff Technologist Seth Schoen.

Wear Your EFF Swag to Bed Night

We've heard from our members: there aren't enough hours in the day to proudly sport your EFF t-shirts, hats, pins, and other swag. That's why we're announcing "Wear Your EFF Swag to Bed Night". For one night only, cover yourself in stickers, wrap yourself in t-shirts, and please be careful with the pins. Sweet dreams!

EFF on

twitter facebook

30. Jamie Kitson

Jessops

A friend just showed me an email he had from Jessops, advertising a maglev tripod. It fooled my friend and I'm impressed that Jessops have a sense of humour :)

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Jessops_in_hover_tripod_April_Fools_prank_news_312061.html

1. Jamie Kitson

Re: Jessops

And on a similar subject, this one from PhotoBox:

http://m.my.email-photobox.co.uk/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=968cddd0973b1bccc9

31. Jamie Kitson

Re: Jessops

Better link: http://mirror.newsletter.jessops.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=82c9cfc2620969c7b3

32. Jack
    Thumb Up

Blizzard's New Educational Software Line!

Bliz always has the best pranks.

Reader Ravager!

Where in Sanctuary is Deckard Cain? (rated M of mature)

Working demos included. http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/blizzkidzz/

Happy 1st!

33. Primus Secundus Tertius

Banksters Apologies

I liked the report below in the Sunday Telegraph:

City agrees to lead 'Day of Sorrow’ over financial crisis

Pat Diemu

12:01AM BST 01 Apr 2012

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about Kodak's new Liveprint?

Live kittens in minutes!