back to article Use the holy word of God to stay secure online, says bishop

A bishop in Blighty has suggested that passages from the Bible can be used to create memorable but hard to crack passwords. The Right Reverend James Langstaff urged his congregation to stop using pets' name or stock phrases for login credentials in favour of passwords derived from passages in the New Testament. "The Bible …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RachelG

It's actually not a bad idea. In a similar but more secular vein I got my mum to start using decent passwords by suggesting the same thing with lines from Shakespeare. Take a line you'll remember, use the first letters from it; change one or two into 'matching' numbers and one or two into caps if digits or mixed case required by whatever you're setting the password on...

1. Old Handle

While the basic idea is not bad (or original), using the most popular book in the world for this purpose is not so smart. If you choose a popular verse from the KJV, as I'm sure many people will, you'd probably be better off with a dictionary word. If you use an obscure verse from a less famous version that should be good enough for most purposes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hmm

Personally, I use Gilbert and Sullivan lyrics.

1. Robert E A Harvey
        Headmaster

Re: hmm

Shakespeare, along with act & line nos.

3. Steven Roper

@RachelG

You mean like using "Tr0u4dor&3" as opposed to "Correct horse battery staple"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @RachelG

ah as in

http://xkcd.com/936/

2. Peladon

In and of itself, not necessarily a bad idea. Selecting a book at random would improve it, perhaps, though maybe not from the Bishop's perspective :-).

But not exactly a new thought. Book codes, and their variants, have been around a while, no?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Book codes, and their variants, have been around a while, no?

For many years all the way up to WW2.

If memory serves me right, Soviet intelligence (or to be more exact whatever was left from it after Stalin ordered its extermination in 1937-1939) used book codes to communicate throughout the war.

From a crypto perspective a book code is a form of one time pad. If it is executed correctly (no reuse) it is a very strong encryption method.

3. Suricou Raven

The bible has no mention of passwords, but it does use a word for security: 'shibbólet.' The authentication value doesn't come from secrecy, but pronounceability: It's very hard for anyone not a native speaker of hebrew (at least as it was spoken then) to pronounce the word correctly. After the Israelites forceibly evicted another tribe from some contested land, it was used to tell returning refugees apart from innocent travelers. True israelites could say it right, while any survivor of the enemy who learned hebrew as a second language and tried to bluff his way to safety would mispronounce it and promptly be run through with a sword.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

re: sibboleth (*)

Heh... came here to make exactly the same comment.

(*) It seems google doesn't recognise my spelling... perhaps it would make a good password?

1. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

Re: re: sibboleth (*)

Me too. Got beaten also...RATS!

Incidentally, one of my older passwords was a Finnish word, in which, when written in capitals the letters all contained angles of 45 or 90 degrees...More memorable than the book of Deutor...Dewter...something-onomy.

2. Stratman

". After the Israelites forceibly evicted another tribe from some contested land,"

Some things never change......

3. John Sturdy
      Boffin

You beat me to it... but I was thinking of it as nationality-level biometrics.

4. Neil 51
      Happy

I remember hearing before that they used to try to identify German spies during the World War by asking them to say 'Squirrel' as apparently it was impossible for those who grew up speaking German to pronounce.

Probably an urban legend but at least it's gotten everyone who reads this to say squirrel out loud, so the worlds a more squirrelly, therefore better, place.

1. Stoneshop

pronunciation

Have a non-native Dutch speaker pronounce "Scheveningen"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Graham Cluley taking the piss?

How often does an attacker know the religion of the person who owns the email account they're trying to crack?

And given hackers don't currently use lists of common bible quotes in brute force attacks, warning that "they might" in future isn't exactly useful advise....

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Is Graham Cluley taking the piss?

Well, if it's Anonymous trying to hack the Vatican...

1. Tom 13
        Headmaster

@disgruntled yank

I doubt may for Anonymous would even recognize the original Vulgate. Not to mention the original Vulgate introduces yet another variable that would need to be identified since you'd need to know the size of the manuscript from which the passwords were taken.

2. Old Handle

Come on, use you imagination! For example if it's your Facebook account, there are probably clues in there. Ditto for your home computer. Other times the website itself could be big clue (Christian singles or what have you). And then there are people you pick user names like ChristWarrior129.

I partly agree on the other point, but security gurus much prefer solutions that are still good even if everybody starts using them. Perhaps they give that too much weight, but it's a worthy ideal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're missing the point. Hackers don't generally target individuals, they blanket bomb to crack weak passwords.

If you seriously think there's someone out there going through your facebook profile, to figure out what you're into, so they can make an informed guess that if you like, say, guitars, then your password might be an acronym made up of the initials of the big guitar manufacturers, Gibson, Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, followed by the vintage year for Les Pauls, and then they'll try typing in GfGR1959 ..... you're giving the importance of your account far too much weight.

You could say "hackers will come up with tables for this if it becomes popular" for just about any password strategy. It's a meaningless statement. Do those tables exist? No. Is this actually not a bad suggestion by Bishop Thingy? Yes, compared to what people usually use as passwords.

Security consultants would do well to recognise half decent suggestions as well as invent imaginary attacks that have no basis in reality.

1. Old Handle

Blanket and targeted attacks are both realistic threats, blanket attacks are more common, but targeted attacks are potentially more devastating.

On the other issue, I really think you are the one missing the point. The point is that it's low entropy. There are around 30,000 verses in the bible. Even at face value, that's only about as good as say "licorice7" (common word + digit). And the vast majority of verses are not going to be used, because they're too long, too dry, or teach something horrible like murdering your kids.

So mystical aspects aside, the only thing this method has going for it is that it's not currently popular. If it remains unpopular, good for the few people who use it, but plenty of other password advice out there says good even if lots of people use it.

1. Tom 13

Re: around 30,000 verses in the bible

Only if you leave it strictly where the Bishop did. First off, I count 30 different English translations, while some of them will generate similar character lineups, I am quite sure the KJV and the GNT won't. Next up, you can combine different verse sets for the character bits, or you can use the actual translated text, or you can use the translated text with Le3t! spellings. Or you can leet the first character sets, or... And at that point you are doing more work trying to build the cracking bible that you would just trying to brute force the password. I would add that modern intelligence techniques have generally failed when dealing with religious oriented codes. Most famously the Israeli codes were never broken by the Arabs during its first war after its formation. IIRC, they were sending short letter and number bursts which referenced specific verses, and the verse communicated the relevant information.

It is generally agreed that easily remembered pass phrases are far more secure than short passwords. In part because you don't know what some is using as his cypher pad, and in part because you can't assume he is using a cypher pad so you have to account for brute force passwords as well.

5. koolholio
    FAIL

Whilst agreeable, wheres the special characters!?

'****ing' flawed idea, to promote "bull****", if you ask me!

two examples of special character passwords ;-) probably more secure than the referrences to chapters which could be databased/brute forced!

6. Jeebus

To be fair, sites protected by christianity are actively knocked offline by Interpol.

7. William Boyle

Sanskrit

Well, if you want to crack my passwords...

1. You need to know Sanskrit

2. You need to know my past

3. You need to know my mind (and even I have a problem with that!)

Akanda Mandala Karam. There are multiple ways of spelling that phonetically, such as Akanda - it could be Achanda, Achandha, Akandha, Acandha... FWIW, this is the first phrase of the guru puja. Finally, this phrase has zip to do with any passwords I use... :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

@William

Thanks for the hints, couldn't have done it without you.

Please ignore the 2500 transfer to the Swiss alps, thanks :-)

8. Roger Stenning
    Joke

so...

"Exp1al1doc1ous" is right out the window(s) then? *snort*

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Devil

Re: so...

You could always go for:

"Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number. Its number is 666"

A bit long, but very memorable.

Would be a good BOFH password, once he has given up on "Grievous bodily harm"

Icon, because, well....

9. Dynamic Net

Revealing the secret of creating secure passwords

http://www.dynamicnet.net/2012/03/weak-passwords-open-doors/ is our take on using common words to create a secure password that is hard to crack.

As long as Reverend James Langstaff followers keep in mind social engineering tricks (i.e. they don't broadcast favorite verses, chapters, persons, etc. in the Bible), they should be fine using his method.

When you consider most users will do as they please in favor of convenience for passwords, what would you rather? To have them lean more towards security by making it easier or stick with old methods that while they work, don't lend to user conversion?

10. JeffyPooh
    Pint

How about Leviticus?

On slavery done right: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." Leviticus 25:44-45

On the death penalty as applicable to children for cussing: "For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Leviticus 20:9

So sayeth the Lord. Amen. WTF?

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: How about Leviticus?

Ezekiel 23:20 - can't quote it here, too NSFelReg! What a gal!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: How about Leviticus?

"On the death penalty as applicable to children for cussing: "For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Leviticus 20:9"

WTF indeed.

Cussing - "Dad, fuck off."

Cursing - "Dad, I curse your dick with the plague and hope it goes gangrenous and drops off." and all parties expecting it to actually happen

See the difference between modern "cussing" and ancient, superstitious cursing?

It's an invitation to destroy "witches" not to execute children for bad mouthing their parents.

It has also been known for parents to have children who manage to grow up to adulthood so that quotation doesn't necessarily imply only young children.

disclaimer: I don't believe in sky pixies of any flavour but do have a fair mind.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Jeffy bible bait fail

Old testament = Jewish holy book.

New testament = story of Jesus telling Jews they're doing it wrong.

If you want to bible bait christians, quote the christ.

1. JeffyPooh
        Pint

Re: Jeffy bible bait fail

Here:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/paul_carlson/nt_contradictions.html

Knock yourself out. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Jeffy bible bait fail

http://www.biblicalnonsense.com/

Above is a gold mine of interesting tidbits. The phrase "salad bar Christian", picking and choosing their favorite bits and trying to ignore the rest, is apt.

Commentary: Christians should be taking the lead on sorting out the whack jobs (e.g. Westboro) within their own ranks. Seriously.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@westboro

Liberals and Democrats should be taking the lead on sorting out whack jobs eg. Vladimir Zhirinovsky within their own ranks. Seriously.

1. Shakje

Re: @westboro

Ah I see, liberals and Democrats can't be Christians too? Gotcha.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@salad bar

"If you don't fit in my straw man evil fundamentalist nutjob suicide cult stereotype, you are a bad christian".

Here's another gold mine for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutheran#Doctrine

FWIW, to me there are core tenets in christianity (love your neighbour as you love yourself), which in turn helps to put meaning on everything else (prime directive :P). As for the bible, its purpose is to help reflect on yourself, not a legal document to bash others with (see christ vs. pharisees).

11. JeffyPooh
    Pint

YwetfoysatfoydL2630ish

"You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters." Leviticus 26:27-30

It's like chess, the good Bishop has been pawned.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: YwetfoysatfoydL2630ish

Yes, jeffy, we get the point that you've managed to find some unpleasent stuff in the bible. Leviticus can be rather problematic, basically though, you shouldn't quote it if you're not an ultra orthodox Jew. There is also the matter of the new testement superceding the old. See if you can find anything nice to quote, it's a lot easier.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It's a pity all those quoting Leviticus 18:22 don't seem to remember that

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Context is a wonderful thing! :)

The quote describes what Israel would end up like if they *didn't* follow the Lord's commands.

Unlike the primitives of 4000 years ago we don't eat our children. We are far too civilised for that!

We have better tech too. We choose to chop them up before they are born and throw them away - its quieter that way. Well over 200,000 children per year in the UK alone. Eat them? That's disgusting!

Go Modernity!

The NT doesn't supersede the OT, it is two parts of one story. The historical bits of the OT chart the decline of God's people for want of a decent leader. They get so bad they are compared unfavourably to the proverbial cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. The NT resolves the leadership issue and spells out explicitly how god executes justice for all the wrong in the world without destroying everyone.

Meanwhile, back on topic....

Any well known phrase as a password is going to be an issue. It may not be likely that the phrase is added but software encapsulates skill and the databases grow. The upshot is that an obscure phrase is likely to be better than "password1" Personally I have different password classes, websites I don't care about, websites I buy stuff from and banking are some of them. Use some common sense!

12. Nick Gisburne
    Alien

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn

You will need all 24 tentacles to type that one phonetically.

1. Daniel B.

Cracking that passphrase will make the cracker insane!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Coat

Re: Isnane or Welsh!

So do you use Llanfairpwyllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch as pass phrase?

Cwmtwrch is a shorter favourite

13. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

YHWH

Biblical Audio Captcha:

Please speak the word that you see in the box above into the microphone now

There. Security of biblical proportions

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Angel

Re: YHWH

"Please remain where you are. An angry mob will be around shortly to stone you to death."

1. Alister

Re: YHWH

Look, I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was: "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah!

14. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Does this work?

סיסמה

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Does this work?

Its a long time since I have read or spoken any Hebrew but I would guess that you are trying to write "Sesame" as in Open Sesame.

15. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Angel

"Touched by his noodly appendage" would also be pretty secure. RAmen.

16. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

All I said was...

...that piece of halibut was good enough for <CLUNK!>....

17. Zebo-the-Fat
    Trollface

You will be cracked!

If the lord wants your password cracked then it will be!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Erm..

"Even better security could be achieved by using a made-up phrase to derive a password, Cluley suggests."

Which takes us right back to the Bible...

19. Old_Polish_Proverb

PW: CORRECTHORSEBATTERYSTAPLE

Once again XKCD has provided a solution to this perennial problem.

https://xkcd.com/936/

1. Steven Roper

Re: PW: CORRECTHORSEBATTERYSTAPLE

And I was going to say that I don't remember reading the phrase "Correct horse battery staple" in the bible!

20. JeffyPooh
    Pint

@John Brown

Point taken on cussing vs cursing. Your assumption is aligned with accepted historical interpretation.

"It has also been known for parents to have children who manage to grow up to adulthood so that quotation doesn't necessarily imply only young children."

I didn't write *young* children. You've inserted that adjective yourself. We are always are parents' children. The obvious self-symmetrical back-fire of your complaint is thus hilarious. :-)

21. Kevin 6

personally I used to use chip #'s off old motherboards,and addon cards. People often wondered why I had old MB's on the desk as decor not knowing my passwords were in plain sight :D

1. Wensleydale Cheese

@Kevin 6

"People often wondered why I had old MB's on the desk as decor not knowing my passwords were in plain sight"

That reminds me of the manual for some demo software. Nobody knew the initial password and tried all sorts of combinations without success.

The documentation had the initial password in plain sight: "XXXXXXXX"

22. Bush_rat
    Devil

So, like this?

"He rested." Verse 2 Chapter 2 would be HrV2C2

That's under the eight character limit, i think the bishop tells lies

1. Charles 9

Re: So, like this?

Insert the first three letters of the pertinent book ("Gen", in this case) and you'll have a solution workable with even a verse of a single word. So in your case, the password can become "GenHrV2C2". That's nine letters and above the eight-character minimum.

2. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: So, like this?

@Bush Rat

'He rested." Verse 2 Chapter 2 would be HrV2C2.'

How about "Jesus wept" John 11;35 JwJC11V35 ?

Certainly a better Scrabble score!

23. This post has been deleted by its author

24. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Made up passwords

From a made up book.

Sounds plausible.

25. eulampios

urandom

I use

head -c1000 /dev/urandom | tr -dc [:print:] | head -c 20

then save it to a .password gpg-encrypted file. The latter uses a key (or a bare symmetric) with an easier , less gibberish but a strong passphrase constructed in the same vein as suggested in the article with a little change. Like "Rule Britannia" can be made into something like #U7e b4IdDa9eeah!!!

1. foo_bar_baz
      Paris Hilton

Re: urandom

Why not:

tr -dc [:print:] < /dev/urandom | head -c 20

1. eulampios

And what is the difference?

Moreover:

$ time tr -dc [:print:] < /dev/urandom | head -c 20

n+d;CM)$F?rEUIBI+**_

real 0m0.266s

user 0m0.000s

sys 0m0.012s

time head -c1000 /dev/urandom | tr -dc [:print:] | head -c 20

~ExUI!y%ZGSo]eY)LwP.

real 0m0.009s

user 0m0.004s

sys 0m0.004s

1. Antony Riley
          Thumb Down

You forgot to count the amount of time it takes you to type it in, also, for this purpose you should probably both be using /dev/random not /dev/urandom.

1. eulampios

I did not forget. Should I reveal a little secret of mine? Most of my oneliners (with some multiliners) are kept in an org file whatever.org. I just grep it whenever I need something (even got a shell alias and tiny script for it). I bet, Mr. Polichinelle might get jealous.

Try using /dev/random -- more "random", but too slow, especially if you need to many password for many accounts.

1. eulampios

"need to many " ="need to generate many"

2. foo_bar_baz
          Linux

I posed a serious question, I wanted to know the utilty of the first "head". Thanks for the answer and for the thumbs down. I guess.

26. Robert E A Harvey
    Boffin

Obvious

I used to tell people at work who asked for the administrator password on their desktops "The password is obvious"

After an hour watching them trying the company name, my name, their name, 'password', 'computer', etc, I would wander past and give them a bit of paper with a single word written on it.

"obvious"

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Obvious

Way back in the days of 9-track tapes & main-frames us mere-mortals had direct control, so we used the password: 'secret'

People would ask for it and we would say; "shhhhhh, it's secret".

Few people twigged.

How I hated backing up multi-volume sets.

27. Richard Scratcher
    Angel

John 1:1

In the beginning was the password, and the password was with God, and the password was God but spelt with a zero instead of a letter o. And the darkness comprehended it not.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

28. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

correct horse battery staple

passphrases like "correct horse battery staple" are excellent. They're easier to remember and hard to crack, especially if you use numbers and punctuation after each word, and mixed case as in "engineEr5whistlE!highwAy*locatE." Assuming the words are chosen from a list of 3000 easy to remember names, a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that there are possibly 1.8 x 10^18 different combinations (or 1.8 million million million). Since most important passwords are to protect online things such as email, credit card accounts etc, and there's no way that anything would let an automated program take that many guesses (even if it were physically possible), I would say this is particularly secure.

Scaling that down to three random words separated by numbers, the security such a password offers is at least far better than most passwords, and certainly easier to remember than things like q3!U5opO3.

As humans, we can't remember lots of passwords easily, that's the problem. And seeing as many things which are passworded are less important than others, why not use a less secure (and therefore easier to remember) password for things that don't matter so much?

Surely I need less security on my Nespresso account (which can only be used to order coffee and requires a credit card number every time) than say my Paypal account (which can be used to send people money)?

Why do some broadband companies make their broadband signon password "welcome1" or even just not have one, whilst others make it "Y1H4O7P2"? The signon cannot be used for anything other than logging into the internet!

I'm no expert but there is a LOT of misinformation going round about passwords, I'm sure of it. I see people running a business whose password for EVERYTHING is "buster", I've seen people who have an incredibly complex password for their computer but a file on the desktop called "banking passwords and pin numbers!", and what about people who set a complex 64 digit WEP key for their wireless?

Anyway see passphra.se for more info about easy to remember passwords

29. itzman

its all about shared secrets innit?

I.e the best password is simply one that is instantly personally recognizable to you, but impenetrable to anyone else.

I have used personal phrase, car numbers or simply 'what I can see looking out of the window' and 'red.bus' and 'RPH862E' have featured..

Its not hard to find something that you remember - the name of your first girlfriend, the number plate on your first car, the first telephone number you aver had (like swansea6074) a scrambling of a pet phrase...that you will never forget and is yet fairly impossible for a random outsider to guess.

What is missing is a simple guide to explain all this. A person I know had his web site messed up completely, several times, but never changed the password from 'stanley' How amazingly dim is that?

Likewise its a really simple way to do cryptography: use some online work of literature and randomly scan it for the word you want and encode the word offset in that text instead of the word itself.

Using the bible maybe be appropriate from a clergyman who actual knows large tracts by heart, but for the rest of us its not the natural choice.

30. Amazon Wageslave
    Thumb Up

Job 3:14

'with kings and counselors of the earth, who built for themselves places now lying in ruins,'

Mission: Impossible did it first. ;)

31. Anonymous John

I'm an atheist.

Can I use a phrase from "The God Delusion"?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: I'm an atheist.

Depends - are you in the United Atheist Alliance, United Atheist League or the Allied Atheist Allegiance?

otherwise just use Hitch-Hikers or Monty Python

1. The Original Cactus

Re: I'm an atheist.

Allied Atheist Allegiance? Splitters!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actually this is good

The only reason I could think of why someone as a bishop gives password policy tips is to protect all the child molesters. At least this way the pigs can just use the bible as a wordlist and crack their CP in matter of minutes.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This book code thing just have me an idea

Why not use a line from a favourite song, plus the year it was released?

"It's Been A Hard Day's Night" IbahdN1964

34. Spanners Silver badge
    Happy

I sometimes use phrases from poems

Some by the worlds worst poet. Some even written by me.

35. the-it-slayer
    Trollface

Thank the lord...

...a purpose has been found for this book. Yes, you can tell I'm a hardcore christian.

36. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"People would ask for it and we would say; 'shhhhhh, it's secret'".

OK. How many 'h's in shhhhh?

1. Toastan Buttar

"OK. How many 'h's in shhhhh?"

OK. How many 'H's in Steps?

37. miknik
    FAIL

Passwords derived from Jules' monologue in Pulp Fiction, for example, might be popular.

Not if people are using bible quotes they won't. Jules' monologue is mostly made up and even the part which isn't is only a vague interpretation of the actual text in the bible

38. Doug Glass
    Go

Backup, Backup, Backup

Always be prepared for data loss and destruction. Remember the church's Prime Example concerning data security: Jesus saves.

39. MonkeyBot

Password

If the word "password" doesn't appear in the bible no-one will be using it.

So I can just change my password to "password" and no-one will guess it, right?

40. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

I prefer something along the xkcd lines, with an element of the ridiculous to make it even easier to remember and harder for anyone to guess. For quite along time I used the phrase:

"Do not squeeze the elephants"

41. Crisp

More useful than praying.

Nice to see a clergy man suggesting something a little more helpful than just putting your hands together and praying.

42. Jimbo 6
    Angel

IdetBs!Etstctos!-NFSs8e8

I've done everything the Bible says! Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff !

- Ned Flanders, ‘Simpsons’, series 8 episode 8

43. Chromoy

Piece of cake to crack

It is fun because such passwords can be easily cracked by Passcape software. They have a phrase attack in their products that guesses passwords by using a wordlist with phrases and bible wordlist is available for online retrieval from their web site.

This topic is closed for new posts.