back to article Microsoft: Keep Moto vid codec patent fight in US, not Germany

Microsoft has filed a motion in the US to stop Motorola Mobility from enforcing an injunction it may win in a German court next month. The software behemoth asked a stateside judge to "preserve the status quo" in the market pending the outcome of a separate Microsoft-Motorola patent face-off in a Washington court. Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Go

"ban would apply to Windows 7, IE 9, WMP and the Xbox 360, which all use that codec."

I hope so, that way someone might notice that software patents are a load of nonsense.

1. Thomas_Kent
      Holmes

My personal opinion...

...is that software should be copyrighted; not patented.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Credibility

You know that when your source on a Microsoft/patents article is someone who has already confirmed to be on Microsoft's payroll (http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011/10/study-on-worldwide-use-of-frand.html) your credibility gets dangerously close to zero?

I don't know why the reg keeps citing the same person as if he was an independent expert, and not the biased individual he has already confessed to be.

1. Norman Hartnell
      FAIL

Re: Credibility

"I don't know why the reg keeps citing the same person as if he was an independent expert, and not the biased individual he has already confessed to be."

Brid-Aine is very much a woman.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Hartnell

RTFA. Brid-Aine is the author. She is citing Florian Mueller as an independent expert. An expert he may be, but he is publicly and unapologetically pro-Microsoft -- as indeed he ought to be, seeing as he is taking their money.

1. Euripides Pants
          Childcatcher

Re: Expert

Ex is a prefix that means "Has Been" and squirt is a synonym for drip.

1. hplasm
            Happy

Rather- a spurt is a Drip under pressure...

1. Euripides Pants
              Windows

Yep, meant to type spurt

Gotta stop drinkin' bleach.....

2. Norman Hartnell

Re: @Hartnell

@AC My bad.

3. Mike Judge
    FAIL

US Courts

..Proudly protecting Microsoft since 1990...

Clearly the pressure Microsoft can exert over US courts if greater than it can elsewhere.

1. Steve Renouf
      Black Helicopters

Re: US Courts

Well... They shouldn't worry too much about that. Clearly, they will very soon be able to exert just as much pressure elsewhere as the US courts continue to inexorably take over the jurisdiction of other coutries' judicial systems...

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge

I'm confused

Are MS asking the US court to tell Motorola to ignore the German court?

If I was a judge and I found X had mis-behaved and so I awarded Y something, I'd be a little miffed if X then found a way (in another jurisdiction) to bully Y's management into not taking advantage of the remedy (in my jurisdiction). In fact, I'd reckon that was Really Rather Rude.

1. Fatman

Re: I'm confused

It would be nice if the German judge took notice of Microsoft's US court filing shenanigans, and fined the hell out of them (M$).

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Linux

What will the German courts think about being blindsided?

IMHO, not a lot.

Microsoft gmbh had better get a very big cheque ready to pay their contempt of court fine.

The anonther one because the very peed off German Judge finds against them 'just because he could'....

Couldn't happen to a nicer company.

1. P. Lee
      Linux

Re: What will the German courts think about being blindsided?

Maybe we'll place that order for SuSE desktops after all...

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"filed by a Motorola subsidiary over patents for the H.264 video codec standard"

That'll be the same H.264 looked after by MPEG-LA, a group that includes, er, Microsoft......right?

Since when did "patent pool" and "shark pool" become synonymous?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: "filed by a Motorola subsidiary over patents for the H.264 video codec standard"

Where there are patents, there are lawyers... and well... lawyer... shark... need I say more?

Mmmm, yes, I'll go. Mine's the one with chunks missing from it where a law...err...shark tore pieces out of it.

7. kain preacher

Motorola first sued in the US then in Germany. What MS is saying is that since they Sued in a US court and so the ruling from Germany should not apply in the US.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like