back to article Apple fires up Antennagate settlement payout

If you bought an iPhone 4 – the model that sparked the now famous "You're holding it wrong" Antennagate dust-up – and you didn't accept Apple's free wraparound Bumper, it's now time to collect your fifteen bucks from Cupertino. That less-than-massive payout is the result of a class-action settlement reached between Apple and a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. zanto
    WTF?

isn't that rather high?

surely a sticker from apple saying how cool they are would be more than enough compensation? i mean we are talking about a class of people who are easily satisfied with just a bit of spit and polish and clever advertising.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: isn't that rather high?

yes but now that the report is out about Foxconn, see BBC news, there will be less compensation about and less profit to go around. There were issues surrounding the working practices. Now weekly working hours have been cut to a basic 49.

At least they got round to addressing the problem, finally, unlike other western companies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: isn't that rather high?

I might be missing something but Foxconn manufacture for *lots* of Western companies so that means they can all bask in the happy glow coming from those workers yes?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why compensation?

Steve assured everybody there is no problem, there is no design flaw and gave a free bumper away to everyone to show there was no hard feelings about people spreading lies about a perfect product. Anybody would think he was lying to his army of loyal iDiots

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worldwide settlement?

So, is this US residents only, or does everyone get a lookin?

1. M7S
      Unhappy

Re: Worldwide settlement?

From the sites linked to:

in the FAQ: "You may be a United States resident (person or entity) who is or was the original owner of an iPhone 4."

and "To be eligible for the cash payment, you must have: (a) experienced antenna or reception issues; (b) been unable to return your iPhone 4 without incurring any costs; (c) been unwilling to use a case or free bumper for your iPhone 4; and (d) completed certain troubleshooting steps or are unable to complete the troubleshooting steps because you no longer own your iPhone.

The settlement will provide a $15 cash payment if you are a United States resident who are or were the original owner of an iPhone 4, and who experienced antenna or reception issues, and satisfy other requirements explained on this website."

So I guess the rest of us can swivel. If nothing else it would have been interesting to see if the relatively usual £1=$1 we normally have to pay for tech would have worked the same way with such a refund. I rather think we'd get an individual charge in each case for the currency conversion and somwhow end up owing them money...

4. g e
    Mushroom

"There is no Antennagate"

Yes there is you mendacious, grasping, control-freak greed-failists or you wouldn't be paying up now, would you?

Lies, Damned Lies and Big Business

5. adnim
    Facepalm

Please close the gate

Why does every journo regardless of publication or news agency think it is smart or amusing to slap the word gate on the end of any word that relates to a conspiracy/cover up or contentious subject? Perhaps I need some counseling because such triteness irritates me.

6. Nameless Faceless Computer User

He did not say, "You're holding it wrong." He said, "Just avoid holding in that way."

1. zanto
      Pint

awwww

did he? really?

It really doesn't matter, because "you're holding it wrong" was, is and will be a classic.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Previous fanboi comment about antennagate: "It was a fiasco -entirely created by the media and haters believed the hype."

Want ketchup with those words?

8. Martin Micheelsen
    Angel

the claims form

Isn't it funny though, the form allows only for people in the US to claim....

9. Goobertee
    Unhappy

Consumer Reports report

As I recall, the Consumer Reports folks gave the iPhone 4 very high marks for its features and how well they worked, but then verified the antenna issue and gave it a reluctant Not Acceptable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like