back to article Philips 42PFL7666 42in 3D LED Smart TV

Philips spent much of 2011 on the periphery of the televisual market, bereft of Freeview HD tuners and dogged by confusion over its long-term ambitions, having off-loaded its TV business into a joint venture. But things are off to a better start in 2012. Philips 42PFL7666 Smart TV Collaborative effort: Philips' 7000 series …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hardcastle the ancient

3D?

Yawn.

1. LarsG

Mood lighting, just what stopped me buying it in the first place.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Multi purpose do everything televisions are a waste of time in my house, with 3 children, their friends and two adults I need a variation of electrical goods.

As for 3D, that will probably go the way of betamax and RIM.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Down

LED

We are back to LED meaning 'led backlighting' then?

oh dear.

3. Hardcastle the ancient
    Stop

smart net portal is well stocked

It's not an "internet" telly if they are choosing the content. If they called it a "streaming" telly I might just forgive them, but an "internet" telly would need to run Opera or FireFox.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: smart net portal is well stocked

Opera is the runtime for the apps and also available as a standalone browser. Even though you can connect a USB keyboard I'm not sure you really want to use the telly for browsing. Better to have a tablet to hand, which you can also as a remote or for looking at the programme guide with the Philips.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ambilight

Having owned the original Philips Aurea TV with full (4-sides) Ambilight since it first launched, and having it wall mounted, I can't now see myself buying a replacement TV that doesn't have Ambilight - I and my family absolutely love it. Watching a television without Ambilight is such a dull experience by comparison.

No Ambilight, no sale.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ambilight

Is that because the pretty colors on the wall distract from the dullness of the content?

Get some of those special glasses from 'They Live' and see what it's really like out there.

1. Patrick R
        Thumb Down

Re: distract from the dullness of the content

Does "stereo" also come in your list of stupid gimmicks? If not, why ?

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Yes, I suppose it does, given that I haven't used the built-in speakers of my main telly for two years.

I suspect that nobody who buys this kind of TV wants the speakers - why would you want 3D picture with 2D sound?

-Especially as 5.1 and 7.1 sound doesn't leave you feeling sick and dizzy.

2. Anna Logg
          Flame

Nope, becuase stereo sound is almost certainly part of the original production, wheares the TV adding some random light show of its own is not.

1. Anonymous Coward
            FAIL

...becuase stereo sound is almost certainly part of the original production, wheares the TV adding some random light show of its own is not.

Except it isn't 'random'.

2. Neil 7
            FAIL

"random light show"?

And there speaks/types someone who has never experienced Amblight but feels equipped to give an opinion, no matter how uninformed they are.

Thanks, but I'd rather hear the views of someone who knows what they're talking/typing about.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Passive 3D

Presumably still means glasses.

Tell us when glasses-free 3D is affordable and we might start to look interested.

6. Paul Westerman
    Childcatcher

Creepy dude

Wow that creepy yokel dude in the hat menacing that girl is scary. Perhaps it's just me, she doesn't seem too bothered.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like