back to article China's censors out in force as coup rumours spread

China’s internet censors have been forced into overdrive this week after rumours swirled the country’s popular micro-blogging weibo platforms of an attempted coup in Beijing and the mysterious death of a man driving a Ferrari in the capital. Twitter users presumably using a VPN or other set-up to access the banned site in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

"Bo has often been held up as an anti-reformist Mao revivalist, who promoted “Red Culture” in Chongqing – a return to Cultural Revolution era patriotic values."

Woah. China is industrialised now, so no need for inefficient and destructive forced production methods. He could just go full-out on Marxist Obscurantism. Still, another few hundred million dead and history forcefully erased? Who needs that? No wonder he is being bampfed out.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Big Brother

More on this here if anyone's interested

"Crisis closes in on China's inner circle": http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/NC27Ad04.html

and also:

http://tealeafnation.com/2012/02/a-pictorial-guide-to-chinas-politics-left-v-right/

2. Jeebus

Another five year plan. Lets get all those engineers onto farms quickly and those farmers into investment banking and swap the law enforcement officers with some pandas.

It worked so well in the past, surely 50 years later [ish] it'll work just as well.

Oh wait.

3. Jason Hindle

Well, there's no smoke without fire

From what little I've seen on the interwebs, something seems to have gone down. I can't imagine a coup (as such) happening in China though, even if there is a split within the Communist party. The generals have been big winners in China's march towards capitalism.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uh?

With all those Conspiracy Theories this could easily be a story about America!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did someone just say "Weibo"?

'Cause I think I just heard someone say "weibo"!

6. Graham Marsden
    Trollface

I find it ironic that...

... the Pro-Mao web site is called "Utopia" which means "No Place"

7. asdf
    Joke

long ago observed fact

>A fact that is always singularly ignored by the Chinese government is that the more search terms are censored, the more such rumours will abound

Chairman Mao I would like you to meet Barbara Streisand. She has an interesting phenomenon on the internet named after her you know.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just drivin' my Ferrari to the coup

What an astonishing scene, red princelings fighting over control of the kleptocracy in their Italian Ferraris haute couture and baroque villas. The kleptostate is very very generous to its red stars and their sons and daughters. Like B0' s son, they can attend gilded-age finishing schools like Harrow and Harvard, and return as barons of state industry, as long as they keep it profitable for the likes of Gates and Buffett there's no problem for the West.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Australia and China coups

Australia's leadership spill in late February and the Ides of March coup in Beijing could be related? Could Huawei bring down the govt?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like