back to article With this ring, I thee frag

A female employee of Australian internet service provider Internode has used the February 29th loophole that says women can propose to men to pop the question – inside Team Fortress 2 (TF2). Internode tells that employee Taryn Hicks dropped a line to Valve co-founder Gabe Newell to ask about a virtual ring that would be sold …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. tirk
    Joke

Ahhhhh!

And who said romance is dead?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Ahhhhh!

Damn, you beat me to it.

“Accept my trade, b#*!h!”: I'm betting that one's not been used as a proposal line before.

1. Thomas 4
        Flame

Ahh, true love.

'Twould be so much simpler if everyone had access to flamethrowers.

2. Smallbrainfield
        Coat

I wonder what he traded?

Spare jarate would be my bet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like she is of that age and a little desperate to try and get her gamer partner to marry her.

1. jm83
        FAIL

@ AC

That says a lot more about you than it does them.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just love the idea of a relationship where you go out together to a cafe and then only interact through devices. Presumably they were sat next to each other - but maybe not!

1. David Dawson

Just love the idea of a relationship where you go out together to a cafe and then only interact through devices. Presumably they were sat next to each other - but maybe not!

---

I personally think the same thing about going to the cinema. You go with someone to sit in a darkened room where you aren't even allowed to talk.

But the point is that its a shared experience, isn't it.

A relationship where one partner goes to such lengths seems quite healthy to me.

My view on the whole thing is that you find whatever works, and go with that. Screw what anyone else thinks is supposed to be going on.

1. Mike Flex

> ...the cinema. You go with someone to sit in a darkened room where you aren't even allowed to talk.

If only. My very occasional visits to the cinema are kept that way by the prospects of sitting next to some group of people who are so intent on yakking away I wonder why they didn't just go to the pub for a convivial shout at each other.

2. Silverburn
    Mushroom

Oi Gabe!

Enough with the pet projects - get back to coding HL3!

3. RAMChYLD
    Alien

Caveman style?

For some reason that brings to mind crude comics of the 50s where men club the women they were to marry senseless before dragging her back to his cave.

1. Gordon 10
      Thumb Up

Re: Caveman style?

Me too.

Man doing clubbing - No

Club - No

Cave - Maybe (depends on Café)

Slaughter Mammoth for burgers - No

Hang on a sec........

4. ninjatjj
    Thumb Up

(Not Tradable)

Nice extra touch that the gift is "Not Tradable"

5. Cratig

So they had to repair the restaurant? - Someone mean to say `retired`?!

1. Andrew Moore

No, that's a perfectly valid use of the word 'repair' . Perhaps a little archaic.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Valid and archaic use.

But also topical as he presumably has to restore (see link to "restaurant"?) from his burn marks, and possibly they have to repair some verbal bridges that were crossed.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...So they had to repair the restaurant?..."

No. It says "...repair to the restaurant..."

Try looking it up.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I do hope that they thought things through

I mean, it is pretty cool, absolutely. But a possible downside to all this is that you're also signing away your rights to any sense of privacy you might wish for. No; not now. But I do hope that they'll feel the same in, say, 3 - 6 years or so.

After all; as this article has clearly demonstrated; whatever has transpired between them has become public domain. And sometimes that can work against you in the longer run.

BUT, most of all: congratulations to the couple! (seems I'm the first in the thread to think think about congratulating the couple?).

7. Tel Starr

'After repairing to a restaurant, ...'

For a Sandvich?

1. CD001

Re: 'After repairing to a restaurant, ...'

Perfect fuel for killing tiny cowards...

8. Shane8
    Coat

Ahhhh the days....

I remembered being horde going to SW Cath after killing Varian and doing a massive RP session with my bride...a female tauren. We both traded each other The 1 Ring ....and lived happily every after...until we got overwhelmed by alliance and it ended in massacre!

Why does it feel like a Friday today :) ?

9. The Jase
    Childcatcher

pix

pixoritnevar of the happy couple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: pix

http://0.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/3/a/collegehumor.fb0cea63429bf295b309216a6272bc2a.jpg

Sorry, I'm sure they're a lovely couple really.

2. Wize

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/web-mistress-hits-her-mark-as-she-games-geek-love-during-in-game-trade/story-e6freuy9-1226313747007

A real pic of the happy couple.

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Google Image Search is your friend.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Isn't it customary

"until death do us part"?

and not:

"your death do we start"?

11. Rune Moberg
    Thumb Up

Cute, but what will transpire down the road?

After a few years of marriage, I would not be surprised if Taryn asks them to include a dishwasher brush in the game because Derek can't be bothered to do the dishes. (no worries Derek, I don't touch the dishes either)

I bet he will soon refuse all in-game "gifts".

12. M Gale

For some reason...

This reminds me of the Spy+Pyro animation.

Dammit, now I'm giggling on the bus.

1. SoaG

Re: For some reason...

Yeah, now that you mention it...isn't Pyro the Scout's mom?

13. takuhii
    Trollface

This is extremely nerdy, but also extremely scary. She obviously has a LOT of cats!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

a LOT ?

MANY cats.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. stucs201

Not the first Valve assisted proposal

The Portal one was way more involved. A whole custom level with genuine new GLaDOS voice overs.

16. Bill Fresher

She calls him a b****, makes the proposal, gives him a (virtual) diamond engagement ring, and kills him in a computer game. That lady's got balls.

1. Smallbrainfield
      Coat

It's clear who wears the hats in that relationship

I wonder if she crafted them herself?

17. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    IT Angle

Wow

its amazing how many TF2'ers are on here

But its lucky that they were'nt pyro and spy

mMMMmmmmmm uph mMMmmmmmmUPh MMMUUpph mmmeekkkk !!!!!!!

Roughly translated : Will you marry me you wonderful beatiful female spy OMG you're a 45 yr geordie truck driver!

18. Andy 70
    Thumb Up

at least he only has to deal with the proposal day anniversery once every 4 years.

on the other hand, he'll be damned if he forgets! ... oh wait. that's just normal.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Wedding Music

Personally I'm picturing someone running down the aisle to "Playing With Danger".

http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Soundtrack

Bridesmaids with uber for the train maybe?

20. sisk

Thoughts

First thought on seeing the subtitle: 'I thee frag' usually comes later in the relationship.

Then again, how many marriage proposals include the proposer setting the proposee on fire and saying 'Now you're dead'?

21. maxtheknight

Reminds me of this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8SdYz7cq04

Aww. I thought it was sweet (the Portal one, not TF2).

22. George Nacht

Congrats to the happy couple.

Really.

My ex-girlfriend gave me elaborate instruction on how, where and WHEN am I to propose her.

All the way down to type of flowers and how big tip should I give to the waiter to bring them to table at exactly the right moment.

Sad thing is, we broke up for completely different reasons....

23. Combat Wombat
    Thumb Up

Lady is ...

Kredit to team !

24. Petrea Mitchell
    Alert

Shaky start...

Call me a suspicious old hag who doesn't understand today's hipsters, but if you have to set fire to a guy to get him to pay attention to you, this might be a sign that the relationship is not working out quite as well as you may have thought.

25. Ben 42
    Happy

Left 4 Dead 2

I know (virtually) a guy who proposed in Left 4 Dead 2: Linky

1. P. Lee
      Windows

Re: Left 4 Dead 2

I notice she dumps the gnome and grabs the axe when confronted by something unexpected...

26. Lamont Cranston
    Joke

Not even married,

and she's already nagging him, and has even progressed to assault with a deadly weapon?

I'm sure they'll be very happy together. Her and his life insurance, that is.

This topic is closed for new posts.