back to article Angry Birds Space

Such was the original's stellar success it's no wonder resisting the pull of Angry Birds Space is proving more difficult than escaping an event horizon. Ask the ten million or so folk who've apparently downloaded it since last Friday, and they'll tell you. You simply can't mess with universal laws - you're going to get sucked in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

So far it is quite enjoyable and different while keeping the quality of the originals while adding a bit more polish. Yes, the same old game tends to get tiresome after a while but taken into context of being a casual game that you can play for a few minutes at a time it works well.

Interplanetary billiards using flying birds and pigs and bubbles? Just why smartphones were invented...

2. SMFSubtlety
    Linux

Space Penguin anyone

I recall an old online game called space penguin. this just feels like a bit of a rip off.

1. Sklar
      Linux

Re: Space Penguin anyone

Spaced Penguin is to what you refer, a shockwave game (remember those?)... I used to spend many an hour back in 2000 trying to keep Kevin in orbit for as long as possible to get the big scores.

It's still available, have a little search...

3. AndrewInIreland

A lot easier than the original...

I was able to complete all the levels (including the Eggsteroid ones) with 3 stars in about 2 hours.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A lot easier than the original...

The 'Danger Zone' levels are well worth a download (OK, having them as an in-app purchase on iOS was a bit sneaky, but ...) - when they said these levels were difficult, they weren't messing about.

69p well spent, although I hope they don't make a habit of it.

1. AndrewInIreland

Re: A lot easier than the original...

yeah- I bought them too. I'm saving them for a long plane journey next week.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

10 million...

Might have had a few more sales if it ran on 2gen iPods (or 3gen 8gb iPods that are actually 2gen parts)... just saying...

1. AndrewInIreland

Re: 10 million...

yeah, and what about all the iPaq and Psion series 3 and 5 owners...

1. Tom 35

Re: 10 million...

Except all the other versions of the game work on the iPod 2gen (or at least the original and Rio), I don't think there are any versions for the Psion...

It's only pigs in space that will not run on the iPod 2gen.

5. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Made for tablets

Angry Birds Space seems designed for the iPad, whereas the first game was designed for the iPhone.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation. The original's levels were clutter free and simplistic; Seasons, Rio and Space have got progressively more complex, graphically speaking.

It's good fun, and marginally more of a puzzle game than the original. My main complaint is the lack of content - only two groups of levels - although I hope Rovio continue their strategy of releasing more levels for free.

It's also irksome to be presented with a third group of levels ('Danger Zone') that cost another 69p to unlock. I'd really prefer one upfront cost. Not to mention that the 'eagle' feature has also been monetised - a few eagles are gifted on completion of the golden egg levels, but they'll run out pretty quickly if you want to gain the 'feathers', and you'd need to buy more at an extortionate cost.

All considered though, it's still fun at a minimal cost.

1. AndrewInIreland

Re: Made for tablets

A few Eagles are gifted??? I have 39 of the buggers (none paid for).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Happy days..

Bye Bye Free time...

7. rtli-
    Thumb Up

"fowl-flinging phenomenon"

Ah, that's the good stuff. Thumbs up to Andrew Bailey :)

"swine-squashing destruction"

Surely swine-squashing *sadism* sounds sibilantly superior?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Swine-squashing subjugation by assorted angry avians :-)

or even "pig popping punishment"

8. Robert Caldecott

Much better on a tablet

Having played it on my wife's iPad it's now very hard to play it on my 4.3" phone screen. :(

9. Andrew James

I think to say it relies on luck rather than skill is a bit unfair. Fluking through with one or two stars is easy enough on some levels, but getting 3 stars on them all doesnt come through fluke. That takes some consideration before you punt your pidgeon.

1. The Indomitable Gall

Sorry, no.

The "fluke" tag is entirely justified. There's plenty of times I've looked like I've been on for a one-shot win, but one plank has fallen awkwardly and blocked everything, making the level uncompletable. That difference between a perfect win and a complete fail is too tiny to be under my control -- AB is largely luck.

1. bluesxman
        Linux

Lots of luck

There's definitely an element of the random in which way things fall. I've previously started a level (in the "original") where the pieces "settle" slightly at the start of the level -- on one attempt (and only one attempt), a pig on a high tower rolled off to its doom before I'd fired a single shot.

Penguin ... well, it's a bird innit?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

85 WTF?

I give it 70 when you first start playing slowly decreasing to 30 after 2 hours as by then I'm completely bored and never want to look at it again.

11. darkplanet

What cloud?

Got it on the 4S and my iPad. Only frustration is you can't put down the game on the phone and pick it up on the pad in the same place. In this day and age that should surely be a given?

12. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

It's just a bit of pig flinging fun

Its great on the iPad.

Cheap, easy to play and a mild distraction from work.

What more can one want?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like