back to article London wage slaves face hour of Cloud discharge a day - official

Passengers travelling on London Overground are to get free internet access after the body that runs the train network, London Overground Rail Operations Limited, signed a deal with The Cloud to roll out Wi-Fi at its stations. The contract will give travellers one hour of free online access every day, at any station on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dodgy areas

I wouldn't be happy getting out my device(s) on a train in most of those areas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

a million people

All after the same bandwidth, but at least it gives theives and nuggets the chance to target you.

What do we tell our kids? We tell them that when they are out do not flaunt you mobile phone!

2. sabba
    Gimp

All you need now...

...is enough space on the trains to be able to use your device. Usually lucky to even get a seat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All you need now...

I think it is only available on the stations, not the trains, but I stand to be corrected?

1. Rob Daglish
        Joke

Re: All you need now...

If you're on a train, you're almost certainly standing, yes...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

headline...

300% increase in phone thefts since the introduction of cloud on the underground.

3. fixit_f
    Thumb Down

Not sure I see the point

Only works in stations, not on the train itself if I'm reading this article correctly?

Anyone who wants to be connected while on a train will already have a 3G connection. Although admittedly I find mobile data to be pretty patchy on trains, maybe it's because of the high voltages on the tracks or overhead power lines?

1. Stuart 22
      FAIL

Re: Not sure I see the point

This is going to result in a disasterous improvement in punctuality.

The point is not for phones but for wifi only fondleslabs and netbooks to download documents, movies or a timetable before the train arrives. Of course now it will arrive (and depart) at the 95% complete marker ... damn, abandon it or wait for the next one?

4. Gary Riches

My iPad 3 gets 6.5 Mbps, on The Cloud.... no where near.

5. Kubla Cant
    WTF?

Major Stations?

When I read "overground stations", I thought King's Cross etc. But it appears the "major stations" are places like Willesden Junction and West Hampstead.

I think somebody has delusions of grandeur.

1. Test Man
      Thumb Down

Re: Major Stations?

The London Overground (the actual line branded the London Overground), not regular National Rail stations.

1. Stuart 22
        FAIL

Re: Major Stations?

Our bit used to be called the UNDERGROUND (East London Line) but was rebranded to OVERGROUND even though it runs UNDER the UNDERGROUND District/Hammersmith & City lines.

Just crazy and designed to confuse.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For those who livew next-door to the stations?

Free wifi for ever?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like