back to article Windows Phone left on launchpad by Angry Birds in spaaace

Rovio has shunned Windows Phone for the latest outing of the super-soaraway Angry Birds franchise, saying that it can't support every platform and has no plans to support that one. Angry Birds in Space is out for iOS (£1.99), Mac (£2.99), PC (£4.97) and Android (free but plastered with ads), but notably absent is a Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

Yet ... we keep getting told how great its app store is

Such contradictory messages. Microsoft: "It's great". Buying public: "Microsoft have a phone out?"

1. Phoenix50
      WTF?

Re: Yet ... we keep getting told how great its app store is

Why would you not expect Microsoft to promote it's own products?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet ... we keep getting told how great its app store is

Well, as an end user I have to say that the app store ("Marketplace") is a lot better than I expected. I mean there's plenty of stuff available, it certainly meets the quantity part.

The only issue is that you can never be sure how good an app is. And what troubles me a little is that I'm a little hesitant to install & remove apps because IMO you can never be sure that they perform a clean deinstallation.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

android

'Free plastered with ads,'

sucks batteries dry sends out ads sends out your location, reads your phonebook, can look at your SD card modifies......etc etc.

Cool or what?

1. Random K
        Holmes

Re: android

Or you could just pay the $0.99 for the ad free Android version on Google Play (still can't get used to that name).

2. JC_

Language?

Has it got anything to do with the difficulty of porting the physics engine? WP8 will (supposedly) allow native c++ apps.

1. Sentient

Re: Language?

I would think that for a game all the artwork is where the real effort is.

Rewriting such a simple game in C# or XNA shouldn't be that hard.

Soudn more like negotiating the contract with MS via the press.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Games? Pah!

No need for games on WP7. All of us Windows Phone users are grownups, busy using the fine suite of business productivity tools and enterprise-ready UI provided by Microsoft on their flagship phones. Mutter, mutter...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Games? Pah!

Latest news on the WP7 users convention, it's now being held in the phone box on the corner of shit street in Lower Peover

2. Heironymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Games? Pah!

All^H^H^HBoth of us Windows Phone users are grownups...

There, fixed that for ya...

4. Jason Hindle
    Thumb Down

Crystal ball gazing........

I seeeeeeeee.............. A small mobile game company being bought by a large provider of OS, enterprise and office software........

5. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Java?

They could've written in Java, I guess ("Write once, run anywhere") but I reckon the time to let the bird fly, to seeing where it landed would've used up an entire tea-break.

Java: "Write once, run anywhere - fuc*king slowly"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. dogged

Re: Java?

WP7 doesn't run Java. Not even slowly. I guess C# was too hard for them to use on their Macs.

1. ThomH

Re: Java?

The core is written in C++. That's well known because it uses the open source Box2D framework, slightly controversially without giving any credit (short version: the licence doesn't require it; people think they should anyway as a courtesy).

Windows Phone 7 uses the Microsoft-invented C# and shuns any language not invented by Microsoft. For security reasons, we're told. All the other major and minor platforms can be targeted with C++ (including iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Bada...) so there's a significant extra cost in supporting them for a multi-platform title.

Quite probably the original port was subsidised and Rovio thought it worth the punt. As El Reg imply, they're probably otherwise aware that the time they have to milk the franchise is likely to be short and that decisions need to focus on the facts right now.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ThomH

Actually that's not quite correct. WP7 development relies on .NET, as such their free Visual Studio version provides support for both C# and Visual Basic. Obviously C# tends to be the more popular of the two.

6. dogged
    Meh

meh

didn't want it anyway. Proper Skype integration at the phone/people hubs level now, tell me they'll never do that and I'll consider dumping the platform.

Wait - clarification. Tell me they'll never do that with reputable sources for your statement (Mikel, you bullshitter) and I'll consider dumping the platform.

7. Kyoraki

Available for...

iOS, Android, Playbook OS, PC, Mac, Chrome, Facebook, but not WP7 (completely).

Says a whole lot about the success of the platform, to be honest.

1. JC_

Re: Available for...

Out for Playbook but not WP? Ouch.

2. Spearchucker Jones
      FAIL

Re: Available for...

It is available for WP7.

Angry Brids in Space will be as avaialbel for Playbook as it will for WP7. I.e. not at all.

8. Armando 123
    Windows

Hm

Angry Birds. The Doom of the teens decade. #fogy

Just hope they don't get Bungied.

9. lumpaywk

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/23/rovio-windows-idUSL6E8EN7NH20120323

This is not true they are working on it they just dont have a date yet

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except that's not what Rovio said

What Mikael Hed actually said was, "we are working towards getting Angry Birds Space to WP7", which sounds like marketing-speak for "we're not working on it yet, as we're still figuring out whether it's worth the effort."

10. Ilsa Loving
    FAIL

Not surprising at all

I forsaw this as soon as I read that Microsoft insisted all apps be written in C#. Every other platform has a common denominator of C/C++. You can write your main code in C/C++, and then all you have to do is layer the platform specific stuff on top. Even Android, with it's focus on Java, has an NDK that lets you integrate C/C++.

But not Microsoft. They were too good for the plebs and their common languages. And, oh look, everyone is giving them the finger.

Windows 8 *might* help stem the tide, except for one teeny detail. It's not out yet, and won't be until fall (assuming nothing goes wrong). All these companies are just being smart by not wasting their limited resources on a clearly doomed platform. Especially one that insists you throw all your existing dev work out the window and do everything from scratch.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not surprising at all

That would be a brilliant "I'm so cynical" rant if not for the post directly above yours.

Fail.

11. Giles Jones Gold badge

As Amiga users used to say years ago when PC gamers mentioned there were no Amiga games: "If you want to play games, get a playstation".

Of course, things have moved on since then but I would imagine WP7 gamers would be better getting a Vita :)

1. Greg J Preece

And as we all know, the Amiga survived and was totally successful, whereas the PC has nose-dived into oblivion.

Not the best example you could have picked. ;-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What's Windows Phone?

Is it like Android and Apple?

1. Phoenix50
      Go

Re: What's Windows Phone?

What's a steming pile of dung?

Is it like Barry and Shitpeas?

2. Mr Young
      Meh

My kids can troll better than that!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Barry

Do you have some sort of memory problem?

I'll remind you: Windows Phone is the thing that you've been tediously banging on and on and on about slagging off in minute (usually incorrect) detail for the last year or so.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clearly my comments we lost on you.

Nobody knows about Windows Phone for many reasons.

1/ nobody supports it

2/ nobody wants it

3/ it's got no apps

4/ the phones are like bad Android phones from 2009

5/ It's Microsoft

This is why it's failing so badly. Even Bada outsells it. Microsoft and Nokia can't even give them away through Neilson survey promos.

13. James 51

@Giles Jones

Actually at the time Amiga was a better games machines that PCs.

They ported Angry Birds to Maemo! With five level packs at least as well.

14. Tim Walker
    Unhappy

I'm guessing...

...that this doesn't bode well for the prospect of seeing ABS on my Nokia N8 (Symbian/Belle)?

[where's the tumbleweed icon when you need one?]

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meet the bad guy - Two Face

The problem for Microsoft is they have a phone Platform that they aim at the twitter / facebook generation with their adverts and their tight integration to social applications and the horrid bright colour schemes they force on people and then they also try and say "oh but it does a form of office so it's perfect for the enterprise"

They can't have it both ways they either aim their OS at the consumers or they aim it at businesses / enterprises. It seems to have an identity crisis and they are trying to be the jack of all trades and master of none

At least with Apple they aim it at the consumer market and if any businesses buy them then it's a bonus for Apple and that adds to their bottom line. Game developers know what they will get from Apple and Android, but you don't know what to get from Windows as they could pull the rug from under this or change direction any time

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meet the bad guy - Two Face

Well, I tend to agree with you but on the other hand; a lot of businesses also have an identify on social media. So its not as if the combination is a total logic flaw.

16. squilookle
    Windows

What with all the fuss about Windows 8, is the future of WP7 not a little uncertain? Do we yet know how Windows 8 will affect Windows Phone, whether it will replace it, compliment it, be merged with it, or whatever? I don't know, but I'm noty sure if thats because i haven't followed it, or because MS haven't said.

Either way, maybe this says more about what the developer think about what MS are going to do with the platform than whether or not the platform is a success or failure by any other measure...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Exactly what Rovio is contemplating

"Is another year of a limited WP7 market worth five man-years of effort in porting Angry Birds?"

17. iGoto

Needs native support

As others have said, it's the native >> C# hurdle that is putting some dev's off. I had a brief conversation (ie twitter) with the developers of the F1 timing app about getting it on to WP7 and they said exactly the same. Their app is native c++ and they just don't have the resources to port on to a completely different platform that has nothing in common with their own code base.

If we are to believe the rumours that WP8 is going to allow 'some' native support, this can't come soon enough. The big fear though is that going native may not be open to small ISV's, but rather larger shops with bigger budgets.

1. Sentient

Re: Needs native support

If they don't have the resources then nobody has them.

18. Treacle
    Meh

Angry Bird on the Seattle Space Needle

Perhaps slightly worth mentioning that there is currently a giant inflatable 'red' Angry Bird attached to Seattle's iconic Space Needle by two large slingshot style straps. It's looking a bit sad though, as it's just hanging there.

19. Arctic fox
    Unhappy

Implicit in this is the thought that a large number of punter's smartphone..............

..............purchasing decisions are informed by whether or not they can play "Angry Birds"? I think that I shall refrain from commenting further.

20. Mike 16

Re: Implicit in this thought...

Is nothing new, to those of us who recall the test for an acceptably IBM-PC compatible enterprise desktop. No good trying to get mgmt to consider a major-brand actually 16bit (8086, not 8088) machine with more memory and a faster clock, that could run all the official apps, for less money, than the beige-box from nowhere that could play Flight simulator.

21. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Angry Birds in space

Just loaded it

WooT

PS: Did I tell you I got my iPad 3?

22. P. Lee
    Coat

At MS' request

Ballmer: Please, SOMEBODY get people talking about WP7, I don't care how you do it!

Sometime after the PR company talks to Rovio...

Me: Wassat? A new version of WordPerfect? No Ribbon, you say?

23. mrweekender
    Mushroom

STEVE BALLMER:

"Let's take phones first. Right now, we're selling millions and millions and millions of phones a year.  Apple is selling zero phones a year."

Awesome!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like