back to article iPhone outsells RIM's BlackBerry in Canada for the first time

The iPhone is outselling the BlackBerry in its home territory, Canada, in another humiliating mark of decline for mobe-makers RIM. BlackBerry sold 2.08 million handsets in Canada in 2011 compared to iPhone sales of 2.85 million, according to figures from IDC and Bloomberg. Canadians have remained loyal to Ontario-based RIM …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More !

Come on El Reg - you should have plotted a graph of the last 12 months share prices for RIM and Apple... just so we know how well RIM's turnaround is working.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More !

Here you go:

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?chdnp=1&chdd=1&chds=1&chdv=1&chvs=maximized&chdeh=0&chfdeh=0&chdet=1332532800000&chddm=98923&chls=IntervalBasedLine&cmpto=NASDAQ:AAPL&cmptdms=0&q=TSE:RIM&ntsp=0&fct=big#

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Paul Renault

Not a happy (Canadian) camper...

Aaargh! My employer just switched me from a BB to an iPhone.

Double-aaaaaarrrrggggh!!!! The iPhone is driving me crazy:

Lack of a proper Keyboard - I have to type in lots of alpha-numeric information (the iPhone feels like a Telex machine which uses Beaudot code);

It doesn't know how to handle email conversations (hit 'Reply' on email you've sent on a BB, it correctly assumes you are not 'replying' to yourself';

I haven't figured out how to copy'n'paste a selection of text - I can have ONE word or ALL words, nothing in between;

Why, oh, why, would I want to use the same gawd-dang signature, all the time, no matter which email acccount I'm using?

I'll stop now, I need another drink.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a happy (Canadian) camper...

Just because you haven’t figured out how to do something, doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Try selecting a word and then expanding the selection by dragging the little blue ball thingies.

1. Paul Renault

Re: Not a happy (Canadian) camper...

Thanks!

I asked three fanbois, none of 'em knew how!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Jemma
    Pirate

Middle east sext-ers

RIM gives the decryption algorythms to Saudi Government...

Company Memo:-

To: All 'Chop-Chop Square' employees.

There has been a marked increase in the waiting lists for service users. Therefore all shop floor operatives will receive chainsaws and pressure washing systems and attend a mandatory training course in the use of same. Said equipment will be provided by an American company with which the government retains an agreement.

5. Matthew Little 1
    WTF?

As a long time Canadian...

I would like to point out that we are not sheep. We do not "have" to have a RIM product simply because it is a Canadian company. When the RIM product is best suited for the task it will likely be purchased. Personally I haven't carried a BB for just over 5 years and can say that it was great when I needed it, but when that need went away, I haven't missed it.

I do own several Android smart phones and find them to work perfectly for my current needs. I can't quite see the need for an iPhone as I do not buy my productivity tools thinking they are fashion accessories.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Barrel

Bottom

Scraping

That really must count as one of the most uninteresting news articles El Reg has ever published.

The sad thing is, I read it.

1. Gordon 10

Re: Barrel

Even sadder you posted about it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm actually for RIMM

I wish RIMM could get it's head out of it's ass, and rollback or FIX QNX! jesus have you seen their code lately? You remember QNX disk right? Things hell of changed, and not for the better. I loved the original QNX. Bring it back!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not surprising

If you wanted a new BB you would be silly to buy it now, just wait 6 months and get the new BB10 based phones. I expect a couple more crap quarters for RIM as people wait for the new phones. Whether than turns things around is yet to be seen but I can't see anything improving before then.

But from what I see BB still rules with teenagers. Almost all my daughters friends have Blackberries with several even ditching iPhones for a Blackberry. A real keyboard just can't be beat when you are the type to send thousands of texts/month. And every time I take her to a concert and all the kids hold up their phones to take videos and photos, Blackberries are still in the majority.

9. James 100

Having the BB10 handset looming will probably slash BB7 handset sales for the next six months, and I can't see Playbook sales exploding any time soon either.

I've always been impressed by the customer loyalty they've enjoyed - even after the massive outages - but the last surveys I've seen indicated huge numbers of current customers planning to switch brands next time they upgrade; at work, even when the choice was between a work-paid BB or paying for your own iPhone, a lot went for the latter, and work funds both now anyway.

As the AC says, they've grabbed a surprising market share in the teenage-texter market here, and seem to have a surge in places like South America and Africa. The trouble is, that'll be a lot more fickle - much less lock-in than when your corporation has bought into BIS and mandates BBs company-wide. For the heavy texting aspect, there are other companies doing Android handsets with very similar keyboards - which just leaves BBM, really?

10. N13L5

well, anything to keep some competitors in the market...

3-4 choices much better than just 2

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like