back to article Half of iPad 3s sold will sport 4G, says bank

Brits may have no need for the new iPad's 4G connectivity, but Americans are going to lap up the LTE-enabled tablet, UBS has forecast. That, the bank believes, will result in heightened demand for the 4G iPad 3 to the extent that it will account for almost half of the iPad 3s sold by Apple. The ratio of Wi-Fi only to Wi-Fi + …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Banks are evaluating iPads... next week El Reg does an in depth review of ISA savings accounts.

2. Velv
    Go

Aside from the initial extra hardware cost (which I appreciate is a problem for some people), why wouldn't you buy the 3G version (of any tablet)?

You don't *need* an active SIM to make the thing work, and you can get data on a per month basis, and for less than £5 a month.

I know some people will say "I never use it outside the house", or "I can always find wifi". Trust me, you will use it if it's there :)

(this isn't a dig at anyone who hasn't bought a 3G, more a hint for anyone considering buying a tablet)

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

I'd stick with the Wi-Fi only model because it's (a) cheaper, (b) it's lighter (slightly) and (c) I can use my phone as a hotspot on those occasions I want net access away from a WLAN.

Convenience is all very well, but not when it costs 100 quid extra.

1. Lusty

"Convenience is all very well, but not when it costs 100 quid extra."

Until you decide you want to use the GPS of course...

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

True, but - again - my phone does that, and I'd rather walk around an unknown city using my phone for guidance than a big, mugger-luring tablet, thanks. And I'd the phone's better for in-car satnav too.

2. Rich 30
      Meh

Tethering

I bought a WiFi one. Its £100 cheaper, and i get actually unlimited tethering with my mobile phone contract (Three One Plan). So i just tether my ipad to my phone, all the time.

3. Rich 30

If you have a smartphone...

Most Smartphones now will let you set up WiFi hotspot, and most of the Networks will allow you to tether, either as part of you data allowence, or for a small fee, usually about £5 you can add on a 'tethering' allowance. I am on 3, and i get actually unlimited, unlimited data (inc tethering), and the speed is fast enough to stream NetFlix.

If you were in a country with a LTE/4G network i can see the appeal of buying the 4G iPad. Some people might want to extra 4G speed, I'm not sure what for yet, as i said, i can stream NetFlix on 3G.

Maybe in a few years time when NetFlix et al stream in Full HD, and there is an actual 4G network in the UK i might consider getting the 4G iPad. I guess my phone would be 4G by then too, though?

1. Toxteth O'Gravy

Re: If you have a smartphone...

Nice idea, except streaming HD is going to royally ream your wallet. Data on cellular is not cheap.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: If you have a smartphone...

Try reading the post. He has an unlimited data tariff.

4. Manu T

Oh man

Oh Man, For god's sake El Reg, stop that fucking Apple propaganda. Please!

It's not even native UK technology. In fact all the brit airheads killed off ALL native UK tech. You lot killed Acorn Computers (the inventors of ARM-processors), Psion (which became Symbian later on) and a lot more.

At least Symbian is for the moment still in European hands all the rest is gone.

So pulease stop that facking Apple and Android propaganda. I'm fed up with it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh man

Let me tell you about ARM

A joint venture between Acorn - as you mention, and Apple... Propaganda is one thing, facts are another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Holdings

Not sure how much of ARM Apple owns share wisse anymore, but without Apple, ARM wouldn't exist

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like