back to article Mass Effect 3 crooks trick gamers with fake 'alternate ending'

Scammers are targeting gamers left unsatisfied by the controversial ending of popular video game Mass Effect 3. Gamers dissatisfied by the conclusion of the recently released final chapter of the Mass Effect trilogy of video games, which completes the story of main character Commander Shepard, are invited to download an " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. g e
      Unhappy

Re: Possible spoiler-guessing

Ah well, I *tried* to get the guessing bit below the fadey-outy-thing

2. Chad H.
    Joke

Just be on the lookout for another scam in a few months

A company called "EA" will be selling a "DLC" pack to fix something that was designed broken. Do not be fooled, do not give these scammers your money, and phone the police.

3. Greg J Preece

Managed to deftly avoid the spoilers above (knock that shit off!), but came on to point out the ironic part of this story: BioWare said yesterday that the feedback was so terrible they're thinking of releasing - you guessed it, EA fans - DLC to fix it!

Aaaaaaand this is why I don't buy EA games at release any more. I wait until they nickel and dime everyone to death for stuff that should be in the released game, and then buy the games once the complete game is out.

Incidentally, El Reg, <spoiler /> tags seem like a pretty good idea to me. Seen them put to excellent use on other forums. You either have to highlight the spoiler text or click a button to read it.

1. g e

Agreed

Spoiler tags required!

1. jai

Re: Agreed

<spoiler>i agree with this request for spoiler tags</spoiler>

at the very least, perhaps a way to make text white so that you need to highlight it to view it, that would work just as well, but there must be a fairly simple piece of css/js tricky that could be done, no?

2. Chad H.

Agreed

Just sell it to that horrible O'leary man and call it RyanArts already.

4. Dotter

"Game publishers Bioware are due to release an officially sanctioned alternative ending to the game in April."

That seems to be an overly positive spin on the old paraphrasing. Muzyka said they were working on 'content initiatives' and there would be more news in April, that's all.

5. Andy Farley
    Thumb Down

The main thing wrong with ME3

is Origin.

That's why I've not bought it because I doubt that will be fixed.

6. James 51

No mass effect game of the year edition

I have seen this with fallout and even oblivion (five years after it came out!) but I haven't seen a game of the year edition for ME1 or ME2. Doubt if there will be one for ME3.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: No mass effect game of the year edition

ME2 didn't have a GOTY that I know of, but it did have a rather spandangly collector's edition on PC - all in easy-to-destroy card wrapping, naturally.

Man, that irritates me. Why are the editions that a collector is supposed to want to keep for years and years the most fragile? And then some (&$£%£ at the store goes and puts one of their impossible-to-remove price stickers on the ^$%^ing card.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Just as long as I can still use scam Mass Effect 3 owners....

With the promise of a "cow level"!!

1. Studley

No cow level, but...

...I want my Elcor mounted tank level, dammit!

8. Chris 3

Ummm

"Game publishers Bioware are due to release an officially sanctioned alternative ending to the game in April.

[citation needed] As far as I am aware there's no such commitment.

1. Dotter

Re: Ummm

I can only assume they got it second-hand from someone who read http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/ and made a few assumptions.

9. Eguro
    Megaphone

Wouldn't it be nice

[MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!]

I really think the only rational response to EA/Bioware should they release a (non free) ending DLC, would be to demand a refund. They basically sold you a game without an ending (which they will have acknowledged at that time by releasing the ending as DLC), which means you didn't get what you were within reason to expect upon purchasing their product.

That'll prolly end up with a "games are a service" kind of counter-argument, but if someone actually took them to court they'd probably win - which is why EA/Bioware would most likely simply pay back gamers who complain.

As far as scammers go: It's a good try. People are really really pissed off at the ending of ME3 - I am more pissed of at the lack of ending, as I did expect something along the lines of indoctrination to take place (which seems to be the only way to retcon the horrible ending), so to me there simply hasn't been an ending yet....

[NO MORE SPOILERS IN THIS POST]

(Rosebud is the sleigh!)

[I LIED ABOUT THE SPOILERS!]

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. muddox
    Linux

If you really need an alternative ending right now...

...just read this guys comic books, they're much better than the original ending and he seems hell-bent on delivering more conclusion than BioWare did:

http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery

I love it. Spread it around, support the cause, help the Retake ME3 campaign and hold the line.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Just a friendly warning

Most of the time your decisions in ME end ME2 don't influence ME3 at all, because the game save import feature is defective.

It looks like everyone who bought the previous games through Stream got royally shafted.

I, for one, have told our EA Overloards to go do unspeakable things to themselves and have refused to hand over my money. Just like I refuse to buy ANY Micro$haft game since they decided us PC owners weren't worthy of the conclusion to the Halo saga.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Just a friendly warning

Please don't refer to that mediocre series as a "saga"...

13. MJI Silver badge

There is another at present

GAME - yes the store going belly up.

It has put Mass Effect 2 as its number one game with the price sticker over the 2

See post 820

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=bdc3930f2b80dac8ff645c29d2d9b0ec&t=18379207&page=28

14. Avatar of They
    Flame

Is it a scam though?

As you have already allowed EA to sniff and use all your data anyway via it's 'origin if you don't like it don't install' anti piract software and borderline (should be) illegal EULA.

Is it really a scam to get more of the same information?

15. Atonnis
    Stop

Alternate ending?

'Game publishers Bioware are due to release an officially sanctioned alternative ending to the game in April.'

Umm, as far as I saw/understood from the official Bioware statement they said they were looking into extending out the ending so more is explained, questions answered, and the nonsensical sensicled.

Where did it say they were creating alternate endings?

16. SpaMster
    WTF?

Are you sure about this?

"Game publishers Bioware are due to release an officially sanctioned alternative ending to the game in April."

Has this been confirmed then? Nothing on the recent statement said this was going to happen, and I very much doubt it ever will. It's a lot more likely they'll just release another game and be like "Surprise, mass effect 3 wasnt the last in the series!". It's pretty evident they dropped this "Last game in the series" tag pretty close to the end of development, and thats why the ending is so lacking.

This topic is closed for new posts.