back to article 6,000 sign e-petition to put Turing on £10 note

Mathematician, computer scientist and Nazi code-breaking hero Alan Turing could soon join Her Maj on the Bank of England’s new £10 note. Nearly 6,000 people have signed a government e-petition calling for the computer pioneer’s mug to appear on the tenner here. The petition comes in the centenary year of Turing’s birth. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 15
    WTF?

Errm...

No one wants to "oust" Darwin... Darwin won't be on the Series F notes as he's on the Series E. Each Series has a new person for each note (for instance see the new £50 note). The petition is simply saying let's put Turing at the top of the pile for the next selection process.

1. dogged

Re: Errm...

Oh, okay then. Because I have massive respect for Dr Turing but Darwin? Darwin freed us from Biblical literalists and probably thus saved more lives than any other human being.

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Thumb Up

Look on the bright side. If winding up the bible bashers is your thing, then Turing's lifestyle should serve equally as well in this regard.

You'll probably see the real nutjob fundies refusing to touch the things for fear of catching gayness......

1. dogged

They won't even know who he was. As far as they're concerned the Nazis lost because God and we have electronic computers because God.

Darwin, on the other hand, that really gets 'em rabid.

1. jm83

Proof of this can be found by reading the reviews of 'Origin of Species' in the Android Marketplace.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Tee Cee - your opinions of Christians are about as accurate as saying "all Muslims are terrorists."

Do try to grow up a bit.

1. dogged

"nutjob fundies" references a very specific set, I'd say. Does that include you?

2. ZankerH

You could argue Turing saved us from Nazis as well as inventing computer science. The U-boats basically had free reign over the atlantic before their encryption was broken. Darwin's insights remained purely theoretical until long after his death, whereas Turing helped win a war and started technology that's fundamentally transformed our lives.

2. Tim Elphick
      Alert

They do £50 notes?

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

@Tim Elphick: apparently, yes. Though I got exactly the same reaction once I wanted to pay my pub'o'clock pint with such a note.

1. Christoph

I've actually seen a fifty pound note. Once. It was on display in a shop window.

In Toronto.

3. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Sorry, mate, I'm on the dole. What does a £50 note look like? Could you kindly post a well scanned copy of both sides? Ta muchly.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's start a petition...

... to put George Osborne's face on Andrex Toilet Paper.

1. brimful

Re: Let's start a petition...

Is that with or without his tongue out?

1. Rob
        Coat

Re: Let's start a petition...

Shouldn't it be with his knob out cause he loves screwing us on a regular basis.

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Petition signed

althought an equally good candidate would be Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Crazy name, crazy guy !!!

1. Wyrdness

Re: Petition signed

Apparently there was a £2 coin with Brunel.

1. Colin Miller

Observes of BoE notes/coins

There's a list of the BoE note reverses here, and coins here

£2 coins are here. There were two issues in 2006 in commemoration of Brunnel, one featured Paddington Station; the other a Brunel portrait with the Royal Albert Bridge, Plymouth behind him.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

As long as they pick a different photo of Brunel, instead of the one in front of the chains of the Great Eastern that gets used everywhere!

1. Wyrdness

It's used everywhere because it's such a cool photo.

1. Chris Miller

It is a cool photo, but it's also one of the very few photos of IKB - and most of the rest show him as just a face in a crowd of workers.

1. Nuke
            Headmaster

There were two photos of IKB in front of those chains (which was during the launch of the Great Eastern). The first was an "official" one with him posing self-consciously, and the photographer realised that it was no good. IKB relaxed with his cigar while the photographer was changing plates and then the photographer took the second without warning him.

The second picture was vastly better and is the one we always see today.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wording

Not sure that "Nazi code-breaking hero" reads how it should do...

"Nazi-code-breaking hero" might be better.

1. biscuit
      Stop

Re: Wording

"Nazi-code breaking" is even better.

5. Christoph
    Coat

Don't worry Alan

"a permanent national statue of Turing - such as on the fourth plinth."

Some day your plinth will come.

1. driwatson

Re: Don't worry Alan

There's already a petition to put a statue of Turing on the empty fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square, also a good way of honouring the man.

http://goo.gl/3lb6q

2. night troll
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Don't worry Alan

That's another keyboard down the tubes. One day I will learn not to drink coffee while reading the Reg.

6. Spiracle

Incalculable?

“[Turing's] contribution to computer science, and hence to the life of the nation and the world, is incalculable."

He might want to sit down and think about what he's just said there.

1. Toastan Buttar
      Boffin

Re: Incalculable?

Oh, well played indeed, sir!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Non-Computible perhaps?

1. Spiracle

Thank you. I now know never to Google 'busy beaver function' at work.

2. Michael Dunn
          Linux

Oh my Gödel!

2. ThomasThurman
      Megaphone

Yeah, that was deliberate. Did you catch the reference to the halting problem as well?

1. Toastan Buttar
        Pint

"Did you catch the reference to the halting problem as well?"

I didn't at the time, I'm ashamed to say. A double-whammy! Good work fella, and an honour to meet you (Virtually, at least). Let me buy you a virtual pint.

7. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

Brian

I reckon they should put old Jug 'andles on the back. It seems to be the only way he will get his face on British currency.

Mine's got an ermine collar, thank you.

8. Richard 120
    Thumb Up

Statue

He should definitely have a statue, I'm sure he would appreciate being on top of a long stiff column.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about Captain Scott?

Given that this year (next Thursday, to be precise) is the 100th anniversary of his heroic demise, it would be a good time to honour him on the back of a note.

All that snow in the background would also save on ink costs.

1. Blofeld's Cat

Re: What about Captain Scott?

Scott was a a brave and courageous man, but I would personally rank several people ahead of him, even in his own field.

Ernest Shackleton, Frank Wild and Lawrence Oates to name but three.

"I am just going outside and may be some time" - Lawrence Oates, 16 Mar 1912

"For a joint scientific and geographical piece of organisation, give me Scott; for a Winter Journey, Wilson; for a dash to the Pole and nothing else, Amundsen: and if I am in the devil of a hole and want to get out of it, give me Shackleton every time."

- Apsley Cherry-Garrard (Antarctic Explorer and member of Scott's Terra Nova Expedition).

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Wot_Handle?

There Already is a Turing Statue

There's been an Alan Turing statue in Sackville Park, Manchester for years. I know, I helped pay for it.

Ganty

12. Blue eyed boy
    Boffin

Can we have

Stephen Hawking on another value note?

Enigma was a cipher not a code btw.

1. Christoph

Re: Can we have

Excellent idea, but not eligible until he pops his clogs.

2. Nigel 11
      Boffin

If Robert Hooke hasn't yet featured on a banknote, he should be at or near the front of the queue.

Isaac Newton was a towering scientific genius but a fairly frightful man. He did all he could to bury Hooke's accomplishments, and took the credit for several things that Hooke should rightfully have been credited with.

Newton was also master of the Royal Mint, which is why is woud be such a good thing to honour Hooke with a place on a banknote!

Hawking isn't dead, and the tradition is that this rules him out. People are honoured with memorials after they are no longer alive.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

-- 'Hawking isn't dead, and the tradition is that this rules him out. People are honoured with memorials after they are no longer alive.'

Unless they're Sir Alex Ferguson. Or George Reynolds.

2. Toastan Buttar
        Boffin

James Clerk Maxwell (though there's already a very nice statue of him in Edinburgh).

13. graeme leggett Silver badge

Trying to remember who's already had their turn

Newton was on the one pound note

Stephenson on the fiver

Farady was on a 20.

Watt is currently hidden away on the £50

Time for Humphry Davy (did more than invent a lamp) or Joseph Priestley (the defender of phlogiston)

1. Dr Paul Taylor

Faraday's mining lamp

Faraday invented Davy's safety lamp for miners, according to the biography by James Hamilton. Priestley, as you say, stuck to the wrong theory of phlogiston after Lavoisier had discovered Oxygen and explained combustion. There are plenty of other British scientific superstars, though, and it's about time they were properly honoured, like the French do.

1. dogged

Re: Faraday's mining lamp

Alexander Fleming would be a genuinely deserving case.

1. Blofeld's Cat

Sir Alexander Fleming is on a Clydesdale Bank £5 note.

1. Chris Miller

Fleming noticed the antibiotic effects of the Penicillium mould, but it was Howard Walter Florey who did the (real) work of converting it into a medicine.

2. Matthew 3

RE: Faraday's mining lamp

"There are plenty of other British scientific superstars, though, and it's about time they were properly honoured, like the French do."

I had no idea that the French had a tradition of honouring British scientific superstars. If that's the case I'll take back what I may have said about the French in the past.

14. emmanuel goldstein
    Coat

what a about a nine bob note?

sorry alan.

15. Blofeld's Cat
    Pint

I used to have...

A "banknote" which was given to me by Screaming Lord Sutch.

It featured a picture of Margaret Thatcher and the words I promise the cheque is in the post.

16. AbortRetryFail
    Joke

£50

Perhaps put Turing on the £50 note as it is already pink?

(Just a lame joke - I fully support having Turing on the £10 and also believe that he was treated abominably after the war)

17. Dave 126 Silver badge

Even better than being commemorated on a note...

is a TV serial:

I implore you all to google ' Essex Terror The Alan Turing Adventures' and look at the first link:

[Starring Mark Gatiss] The Alan Turing Adventures is set during an alternate history Second World War. Turing here has been re-imagined as a dashing and flamboyant secret agent careering around behind enemy lines in a desperate attempt to steal and decode Hitler’s childhood diary, en route to which he gets locked in a deadly game of cat and mouse with Nazi rocketeer Wernher von Braun (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Can we get petition Mark Gatiss to actually make this?

1. Chad H.

Re: Even better than being commemorated on a note...

Well, no matter how bad it could possibly be, its still better than *anything* on BBC4.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Even better than being commemorated on a note...

sounds rather like his Lucifer Box stuff

18. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re Turing Vs Darwin

Okay, my above post was a link to some beautiful nutter's spoof. It entertained me!

Has got to better than the film 'Enigma'.

But seriously, I was fascinated to learn of some of Turing's work after WW2. That on the self organisation of cells in embryos. Turing found the principal that explained how, out of a small ball of seemingly identical cells, some would become form your head, some your toes. i.e, global effects out of local communication. Or something. Devilishly clever, though. Definitely a big contribution to Darwin's field.

19. driwatson

Several good ways to honour Turing

Putting Turing on the £10 note is an excellent idea. The e-petition now has over 6,000 votes.

There's also a petition to put a statue of Turing on the empty fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square, also a good way of honouring the man.

http://goo.gl/3lb6q

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction - Darwin did NOT come up with the theory of evolution

The theory of evolution was already well established by the time Darwin wrote his epic - what Darwin did was suggest a method as to HOW evolution worked by "natural selection".

This topic is closed for new posts.