Oracle - love or hate?

This topic was created by Drewc .

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle - love or hate?

Says anonymous coward: Why does everyone hate Oracle so much?. Well? Does everyone? Any love out there?

1. maintenance
      Thumb Down

Re: Oracle - love or hate?

Oracle love this is very good DB for security of data base.

2. 321
      Thumb Up

Re: Oracle - love or hate?

No doubt, We all love oracle.

2. bertino

Never mind that!

Why no hardware forum?

ps, I hate Oracle, Apple and Microsoft almost equally. No, scratch that, as it stands

Apple

Microsoft

Oracle

On that scale.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Never mind that!

what about google?

3. JDX Gold badge

As a developer I like PL/SQL and I find Oracle much nicer than MySQL... but possibly because I learned it first.

Hating software companies is pretty childish.

1. Kubla Cant

I like PL/SQL

Especially after I used the vile T-SQL thing on Sybase.

Actually, I quite like Oracle - not as a company but as a corpus of software. Of course it can drive you up the wall - but that's what software's for, isn't it?

4. dogged

Oracle really does do everything it can to make itself a complete pain in the arse if you're not wholly bought into the Oracle experience on RHEL.

Try using the .NET provider for Oracle sometime. Hell, try just installing it. Good luck iof you think Java is insecure and buggy! And then you have to dick around for an hour or so with TNSNAMES to try to make it actually work.

Once it's working, it's fine. But every time I have to go to a new site and set up to code against Oracle, I consider walking straight back out again.

1. maintenance

Oracle is a db server in which the client and server transmitting of the data with a authorization manner .it i be very secure data .

5. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

Because they shaft people

I've worked for several IT firms, in the City running an IT department, supplied secure networks to HM Treasury and at various times been a full time journalist dealing with many types of vendors.

Not one of the firms I have dealt with is anywhere near as bad as Oracle.

But I got my last job because of Oracle.

I was working as a contract project manager on a trading system. Short version is that they had shafted the group head of IT big time (he shortly became the ex-head and no it was not coincidence).

I didn't know this, but I did know that Oracle felt they were on a role with my bank and demanded more for the licences than we had budgeted for the entire project, including development, hardware and a wide area network connecting all the major banks securely.

I rejected their pricing so they went to the board to screw me over.

Ironically this did me no end of good, they didn't know who the hell this "Dominic" person was but anyone who could make an Oracle rep froth at the mouth was good in their book, so I got "head of IT" business cards soon after.

This is not an isolated story, my advice is to never ever let an Oracle rep into your building and do not trust their promises about the price of support either.

6. kashif Rashid

Hi friends,

I love the oracle .To love the oracle ,it has many reason. Now i know that it has a very broad database to accept the many types of the object oriented language. If you can doing the some html coding into the own data base ,according to the oracle rule, then oracle compiler also compile the database query.

I know that it is used to design the form also as well as to store the data into the database. The main feature is that you can create the multiple user into the single oracle database and it can't create the duplicate value .

Thanking you .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kashif, where are you going with this?

Just wondering.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Kashif, where are you going with this?

Gut feeling for an answer?

English as a second language[1] ... and a hell-hole of a work environment.

[1] Kashif's English is far better than my variation of his/her native tongue. Don't stop commenting, Kashif ... input from all over this dampish rock helps all of us, over the long-haul.

7. John Rose

SAP

At least Oracle provide products with some semblance of user friendliness. Whereas, when I first saw SAP (approx 5 years ago), I thought that I was in a 70's time warp.

8. SiempreTuna

So .. No Improvement, Then ..

I used to do a lot of work with Oracle (as a consultancy partner) back in the last century: a bunch of complete shysters. Sounds like they haven't changed.

Best company to work with? By a country mile?

Microsoft.

They may have been evil, but they were pleasant, helpful evil. Unlike the current high flyer, Apple who are nasty, arrogant evil - once you get past their storefront.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reading taxi driver says Oracle is better than Microsoft ...

Oracle and Microsoft UK HQs are both at Thames Valley Park in Reading and they used to be next door to each other. Many years ago - a taxi driver who took me from the station to TVP told me that Oracle was much better company than Microsoft. Why, I asked. "Look at the cars," he said.

Sure enough the cars parked at Oracle were much more expensive than those on the Microsoft lot.

1. dogged

Re: Reading taxi driver says Oracle is better than Microsoft ...

That could mean "pays more". Or "charges more". We know from published accounts that it doesn't mean "earns more".

It says nothing about which company is worst for working with.

ANECDOTE ALERT -

I have personal experience of reporting errors in their software to both Oracle and Microsoft. Microsoft took a month to examine the issue and then got back to me with "yes, you're right. That's a bug. Sorry."

Oracle took two months to get back to me with "Our software is fine. The problem is at your end". Release notes on the next version included a bug fix for the problem which was "at my end".

So neither was particularly helpful but at least MS didn't try to bullshit me.

10. Joeman
    Thumb Down

Oracle sucks... over priced, dinosaur of a system, thats only bought be managers who like the name and dont know anything about databases...

11. jadecat
    Devil

Oracle - See SCO

12. NickJohnson

I don't LOVE oracle but yes quite like it....

Security wise very useful database....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle is simply superb

We are into technology and enjoying many works with an ease due to Oracle. I don't think there should be any reason to hate Oracle.

14. 1Rafayal

I dont love Oracle.

The DB is what it is, that wont change. But Weblogic, eugh.

I do have a lot of love for Oracle XE though, mainly because it allows you to escape the insanity that is Access (Forever Should It Be Cursed)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon