back to article US rent-a-room biz swallows Blighty's Crashpadder

American rent-a-room service AirBnB is hoping to grab a slice of the lucrative London Olympic-time rentals by buying out smaller British rival CrashPadder. AirBnB bought out the British company yesterday for an undisclosed sum. Both sites provide a social network cum advertising service for short-term and holiday rentals. A …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

check your booking

Apparently a scam is going on booking people into houses that are already occupied.... Websites copying legit ones with the same details.

Anyone want a room, address yep the house is called 10 Downing Street. Key will be with the porter.

£1200 per week.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: check your booking

Obvious fake - that front door doesn't actually have a lock!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: check your booking

Yes it does - it just doesn't have an externally accessible lock

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Funny you should mention 10 Downing Street

Because the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C. would probably not mind if someone else moved in and relieved him of the responsibilities of upkeep on the pad.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Funny you should mention 10 Downing Street

Also, any one of the taliban contenders would anyway rather live in a cave.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am indeed sorry that me and my mates ended up trashing her place. However, in our defense the bidet only had flat spring water instead of the sparkling Evian we ordered. After that disappointment how could we contain our anger.

Sorry. So very sorry.

4. Timmo

Cockney Summer

So I should expect thousands of Cockney's up here in T' North over the summer as they rent their council flats out to Tourists. Theres enough already moved here in the last few years. You can't hear a local accent any more for the sound of rolling barrels and talk of jellied eels.

1. streaky
      Holmes

Re: Cockney Summer

Speaking as a northerner who lives in the East End - think they're already up there. No cockneys left round here :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have used both before but think the rooms cost just as much as hotels i use www.flatmaterooms.co.uk and gumtree.co.uk as i normally rent for a few weeks and there prices tend to be cheaper

6. adamgarretty

I am on both. Airbnb does give you peace of mind with their insurance. It's a risk but since we are living in same property and it's the guest room renting out then it's not so bad. I've also hosted and have couchsurfed which has produced the most weirdos. On both sides of hosting and surfing I have cancelled because their messages or profiles all of a sudden don't sit right with you. I do hate giving bad reviews though but I would say they only come around at about 1 in 20 occasions. Now think about the last 20 hotels you stayed at and I bet there is more than 1 bad review among them.

Most people are polite, respectful and treat it 1000 times better than they would a hotel room. For the hostee, they get local knowledge the host make use out of a spare bit of space.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HMRC's cut

Don't forget to give HMRC their cut for renting your box room to some Lithuanian wrestling fans over the Olympics:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/2012games/taxon-rental-income.htm

This topic is closed for new posts.