back to article Rock'n'Roll Racing

Having just reviewed the Steelseries SRW-S1 steering wheel on some pretty serious racing games, I was reminded that I have had a soft spot for a certain genre of racing game but it was a long time ago and involved some particularly severe riffs. Rock'n'Roll Racing In my humble opinion - and yes I did go to Download and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny 5
    Thumb Up

awesome game

I have the original cart for my SNES. there's a better racing game though, have you played the old top gear games?

top gear 3000 is awesome.

good to see this one on here though, i've played this game SO much.

Tarquin lights him up!

2. Graham Bartlett

Old racing games

Those overhead-view racing games were cool. Sprint 2 was the original, of course. But it got much more fun with Super Off Road which replaced the F1 theme with monster trucks on an obstacle course and let you upgrade your truck between rounds (sound familiar?), or Badlands which replaced the F1 theme with a Mad-Max-type environment and added guns and missiles (sound familiar x2?). There was a rather good Amiga/AtariST take on this called Super Cars II, which occupied far more of my after-school hours than I care to admit.

3. sisk
    Thumb Up

About time

I was wondering when this awesome game was going to get some antique code show love. :-)

Rock 'n' Roll Racing remains my favorite racing game to this day. I'd love to see a remake, but I honestly don't see how they could improve on it other than by just updating the graphics. I'd be afraid of them ruining it with a remake.

4. Gusty O'Windflap
    Happy

"Snake...

is in another time zone!"

5. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I remember Super Stuntman on the Speccy

developed by a little outfit called 'Codemasters', who I think did alright for themselves. It was an overhead racer, but only vertically scrolling. You had to crash to earn stunt points, but not crash too much! Hmm, it might have been an influence upon Windows 98!

Think I'll have to fire up DosBox... Or hell, dig out my old 100 MB harddisk and see what's on there!

6. auburnman
    Unhappy

As a young 'un...

I had saved up all my pennies for ages to buy Rock 'n' Roll Racing for the Sega Megadrive. when I had finally racked up the cash, I went to our local Woolworths only to find they didn't have it in stock. In one of the worst decisions I have ever made and still bugs me to this day, I bought another game instead of going home empty handed.

That game was Rise of the Robots, one of the biggest piles of cack that ever had the nerve to besmirch my Megadrive. When I finally got to play R 'n' R racing years later, I could not believe what I had missed out on (and buying ROTR instead stung all over again.)

1. Stuman8484
      FAIL

Re: As a young 'un...

Mate, I feel for you. Rise of the robots was properly rubbish.

"Tarquin is about to explode!"

7. Spotfist
    Thumb Up

The racers are set, the green flag drops!

Play this on my phone, even managed to complete it! Good times!

8. Bad Beaver
    Go

Nice

This one was good fun back then. What's next? Supercars II? Nitro? Lotus Turbo Challenge II? Keep em coming.

9. Eric Hood

One of my favourite games too. A friend was overseas on holidays and picked it up 9 months before the Australian release we spent weeks hammering it.

Lots of beers, good times indeed. We also played an imported Clayfighter too. Perhaps that could be a review.

10. RAMChYLD
    Alien

I have the GBA edition

Lousy port, that GBA edition. The color's all washed out that the animated palette doesn't work, and all the music are cut short. Still, what's left of it is addictive as crack.

According to Wikipedia tho, the Genesis version would be the best of the series, not only does it matches the SNES version in terms of color, but to make up for the fact that it used OPL-3 instead of Wavetable synth for music, it came with an extra song- Radar Love. And I'm kicking myself over what I missed because back when the game was released, I did own a Genesis.

Alien, because, hey, that's what this game's about.

11. Cliff Cheetham
    Devil

This game cost me a fortune!!

When I saw this game in the computer shop I worked in, I went out and bought a SNES and a 19" TV with SCART just to play it - definitely the most fun I have ever had playing a racing

I'm also chuckling to myself that buying a TV with SCART seemed impressive at the time....

1. gcarter

Re: This game cost me a fortune!!

I still play this bad boy at least once a week on my (cough) softmodded xbox running amongst others the snes emulator. Sometimes tempting to google the cheat codes though and roar round the tracks tooled up to the hilt!

12. scouser_in_exile

One of the greats

This was one of my most played games of the SNES era, it was so simple to play, but so hard to fully master. Took me a while to beat, but it was well worth the effort.

I must dig out my cart...

Couple of points, though:

If you used Olaf, you're a great big cheater! You had to hold down L, R and Select to get him. And he was a character from Lost Vikings...

There was a 3D sequel on the PS1. It was rubbish

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like