back to article iPad subsidies axed for Microsoft S&M fanbois

Microsoft’s sales and marketing people can no longer buy iPads or Macs on the company’s dollar. Staff in Microsoft’s sales, marketing and services group are reported to have been told they cannot, as of mid-March, expense the Apple gear. The policy was outlined in an allegedly leaked internal memo from SMSG chief financial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jonathanb Silver badge

Mac Business Unit

Does that extent to employees in the Mac Business Unit? Microsoft do write apps for iPhone and iPad. Also, Microsoft's websites generally work on iDevices, and presumably people have them to test compatibility.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mac Business Unit

As the first line of the article says it was MS' sales and marketing people, I'd guess no.

2. Arctic fox

I would guess that since the unit actually working on MS software for Macs would by definition need those machines in order to do their work they would of course be supplied with them on the company's dollar. What the "baristas" in sales and marketing might fancy is another issue entirely.

3. qwarty

No, as stated in article. Even developers with S&M tendencies still get to buy Apple gear.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A way to increase sales and show uptake of windows devices.

Only one flaw.... Not enough employees.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's no evidence at all that the MBU owns a single Apple product beyond an iPhone, at least that my take from the lamentable mess that is my office 2008 install. I'd imagine they use the iPhone to do a bit of informed guesswork on how it might work, then pray a great deal on release that at least something works. Well they didn't pray hard enough with Excel, which quits if I so much as look at it the wrong way.

2. Arctic fox
    Happy

As a matter of curiosity.

Do we know what policy in this area at Mountain View or Cupertino is? I am genuinely curious - does anybody who posts here know?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a matter of curiosity.

Google banned Windows a couple of years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/7792685/Google-bans-Microsoft-Windows-on-office-computers.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Additionally I would imagine they have some virtual installations for testing etc. but I don't know

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I know that the policy at one particular Android handset manufacturer is very much 'company gear only', to the point where the R&D team have specific written exemptions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yup...

When I worked for RBS they insisted that I had an RBS account if I wanted to be paid.

Personally I don't see the problem, if you work for a company and they want you to use their products for your day-to-day work and they give them to you for free.

1. JC_

Re: Yup...

Using the company mobile phone is okay, I guess, but the bank account? That seems a bit too intrusive. How far did RBS go? Did they insist on mortgages etc. only coming from them?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Even worse

I've heard of beer companies (Anheiser Busch IIRC) that will only allow their employees to drink their brand of beer.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Pint

Re: Even worse

For some brands of beer, that might be fine, in other cases (fill in your least favourite here) it is cruel and unusual punishment

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Even worse

So basically, working for the companies that produce Fosters, Victorian Bitter, or anything from the United States then

2. Arctic fox
          Thumb Up

Re: Even worse. God yes! Imagine working for Watneys in the sixties when.....

......… they were marketing "Red Barrel" if they had had that policy. Truly a fate worse than death.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Initially staff were allowed any account, then someone pointed out that the cost of doing 140k BACS transfers each month was outrageout, why not just get staff to have RBS accounts. You got fired (after appropriate warnings) if you didn't have an RBS account. Most staff just setup a transfer to their normal account.

As for mortgages, you got a fairly good discount, but crucially no arrangement fees, so that was a bit of a no-brainer.

1. chr0m4t1c

I don't know enough about the internals of banking, but isn't a standing order also done as a BACS transfer?

In which case, they presumably reduced the number of transfers from 140k to 139k while also inconveniencing 139k staff.

Or are standing orders charged differently?

1. thesykes

"isn't a standing order also done as a BACS transfer?"

Doubt it. It will be an internal transfer from one account number to another, with the money never leaving RBS.

A BACS transfer is a payment via the BACS company, which then forward it on to the recipient, and charges the banks for the privilege.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Standard practice and very draconian.

In my branch network days, if I wanted to pay in, I had to inform my Manager and him sign the Credit slip alongside me. I was also obliged to disclose the source of the money, not maintain an account elsewhere and not borrow without written permission.

Things have slackened, but not by that much.

Personal financial probety is VERY important if you want to stay working for a Bank in the UK.

2. I think so I am?
      Happy

Its not like you can't create a standing order and have your pay transferred to your preferred bank account now is it?

4. Garf
    Devil

Android?

Can they still claim for android tablets and phones? If not they're shit out of luck on the tablet front aren't they :)

5. qwarty

partly cost cutting, partly common sense perhaps

I've seen Microsoft reps using Windows on MacBook Pro for demos, can understand how the 'why buy a £2000 PC when a £1000 PC does the job?' question comes up if they are looking for savings - seem to recall reading Microsoft S&M has been going through some restructuring so that makes sense.

With Windows 8 (Intel) tablets already around it would also make perfect sense to knock iPad on the head. Unlike MacBook, iPad doesn't run Windows, spending cash to place iPads in the hands of public facing staff using iPad sounds nuts. Surprised they didn't stop all that last year.

In other news, a recent memo turned up telling AppleStore managers they must not stock Windows 7 PCs. Who'd have thought.

1. I think so I am?

Re: partly cost cutting, partly common sense perhaps

Windows 7 PCs don't come in white so was never a problem.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And?

this is news?

Our Lenovo guys have Lenovo hardware, despite us being a mainly HP shop. Our Apple repos have Apples. Most of it's about common sense. It's hard to sell a thousand Lenovos when the rep is using a HP!

7. Arnold Lieberman

Stoopid

I would have thought it would be very good idea for the likes of Microsoft/Apple/Google to encourage their employees to use devices form competitors... on the proviso that they each write up their experiences stating WHY they have chosen an alternative product. Might be the best way for the developers of said products to get feedback on what could be done better etc, and would reduce the likelihood of not-invented-here syndrome from taking hold.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stoopid

It would be good for the companies to understand their competitors products, yes. I would not be good for them to take their competitors products to potential customers, as S&M staff will do.

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Microsoft doesn't make tablets, phones or laptops. So no Apple kit is in direct competition in terms of hardware.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's not the Ballmer way.

His way is: I am right, you are wrong, facts don't matter.

A bit like Steve Jobs actually, without the foresight.

As for MS, I reckon years of market domination have created self-destructive arrogance.

8. Peter 48

Zune players

I'm surprised that people at MS even bother with iPods when they would have had staff discounted access to the superior, yet poorly promoted and supported Zune players. The second gen Zune 80 & 120 for example runs rings around the iPod classic and the Zune desktop player is miles better (as a media player) than iTunes ever was.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: Zune players

And better, Microsoft probably has warehouses full of shiny new Zune players to give to their employees. Just sitting there. Getting dusty.

9. Swoop
    Facepalm

S&M fanbois

D'oh - sales and marketing! And there was I, thinking of a rather different S&M.

Must be just me...

10. Robert Heffernan
    Facepalm

Doesn't Look Good!

Can you imagine how it would look to a customer if a Sales droid was standing in your office, asking How many Windows 8 Tablets can they sign you up for, punching the order into an iPad.

Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in the product.

11. HammerOfTruth
    Unhappy

Well since no one is signing up, that point is moot. They can use their iPad to look for a new job.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like