back to article Confirmed: iPad 3 runs hotter than iPad 2

Thermal camera imagery has confirmed what iPad 3 owners already knew: the new Apple fondleslab runs hotter than its predecessor did. The guys over at Dutch-language site Tweakers.net took an infrared camera and snapped the tablets alongside each other. Both iPads were set running GLBenchmark to thrash their CPUs, and after …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark McNeill
    Holmes

Gosh. Well, well, well

"...what iPad 3 owners already knew..."

And, given that iPad 3 owners are the only people likely to care...

1. Toxteth O'Gravy
      Facepalm

Re: Gosh. Well, well, well

And, well, the folk out there thinking of buying an iPad, don't you think?

1. Mark McNeill
        Holmes

"And, well, the folk out there thinking of buying an iPad, don't you think?"

You really think so? A 5°C difference?

1. ian 22
          Happy

A 5 degree increase? At the rate these are spreading they soon will be a major factor in global warming!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As if anyone was really surprised - guess what 4x more pixels and a faster processor, more ram and a larger battery (but a similar battery life) = heat.

Ever wonder that some people have too much time on their hands to bother doing this stuff?

3. uhuznaa

33.6°C

is not exactly hot. And as others already said: A 70% larger battery being depleted in the same time means 70% more energy is turned into heat.

I'm pretty sure that the next generation will have a more efficient SOC. It's somewhat amazing that Apple managed to pull this off right now, the huge battery and waste heat is a sign that it wasn't easy at all. A 45 Wh battery in a tablet is quite a stunt.

4. thecresta

So it's also a hand warmer?

They should put that on the product spec sheet. Honestly - this is a good thing, so long as it doesn't melt my fingerprints off and invalidate my future existence.

5. jubtastic1
    Trollface

Just another example of Apple's amazing attention to detail

The new iPad runs just a tad over body temperature to keep your fingers toasty warm.

Sent from my frosty old iPad.

1. sjcarr
      FAIL

Re: Just another example of Apple's amazing attention to detail

Someone needs a refresh on Biology 101... I'm certainly glad my body temperature ain't 33.6 deg, otherwise yes I would expect people to be applying lots of warmth to me.

1. Silverburn
        Boffin

Re: Just another example of Apple's amazing attention to detail

You are, of course, correct. But your extremities regularly run at much lower temps than the standard 37'c, which may make the heat perceptible. You're not a uniform temperature (though warm-blooded biology tries to beat physicals where it can here).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like that other thermal wonder...

...the McDonalds hot applie pie.

Too hot to hold, too hot to bite...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Like that other thermal wonder...

I would suggest that if you are likely to go biting into an iPad then the temperature of said iPad is pretty much the least of your worries.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Too hot to hold? You do know the human body temperature is around 37C?

If 33.5C was too hot to hold you'd have much bigger problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's your core temperature, not what the body perceives as hot.

Though you may run internally at 37C, do your hands feel cold when you're in a room with a wall thermometer showing 25C?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

OP here.

When the air temp here often exceeds 40oC, believe me, 37oC **IS** too hot to hold (for long)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If the air is 40C, 37C is going to feel cool.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"If the air is 40C, 37C is going to feel cool."

Let me guess. You got a grade F in Physics at school, right?

2. Moof

Not at all! I have radiant heat and my feet stay nice and toasty. Maybe I should line my floor with iPads?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I expect the first "another new apple device catches fire" story within a month.

8. Brangdon
    Thumb Down

Battery life?

I'm guessing running hotter will have an adverse effect on the useful life of the battery (and other components). It'll probably be a few years before it becomes noticeable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery life?

Hands up whose first (cynical) thoughts were noticeable after "warranty period + 2 weeks"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you have a faster processor, running in a similar configuration, and run that faster processor at full power of COURSE it's going to run hotter than a lower powered one. Even my nan could have told you that.

I think we need a investigation to show if a Ferrari 458 engine runs hotter than a nissan micras just to round off this informative and logical test.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

"I think we need a investigation to show if a Ferrari 458 engine runs hotter than a nissan micras just to round off this informative and logical test."

Actually I think you'd find that they run at roughly the same temperature, because Ferrari are smart enough to install a cooling system capable of handling the extra power of their engine.

10. Lusty
    Facepalm

Thank goodness

Thank goodness I won't be running benchmark suites all day like the fan droids do. In real world usage (no droids, I don't mean benchmarking or looping video) it barely even gets warm and the battery is still at 80% after a full day of work.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will all the people charging their iPads up at work

and using them at home be taxed on the benefit in kind for the free home heating that they'll be getting?

I see an employer installed app opportunity here involving GPS tracking and consequent re-charging (in the sense of billing).

Plus a range of knitted covers so it can be used as a bedwarmer.

I'll wait for the 7" version to slot into pockets in my anorak though, do Millets still do the ones with the furry ring around the hood?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like