back to article HP unveils hamper of Ivy Bridge notebooks

HP has revealed a host of Intel Ivy Bridge notebooks with a potential release mooted for next month. While still unsure of exact dates for when Intel plans to formally roll out its newest processor, three of the four HP laptops just announced are set to hit shelves with it. HP Pavilion Ivy Bridge These are the HP Pavilion …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nichomach
    FAIL

"feature a screen res of 1366 x 768"

*shakes head wearily*

1. DomS
      Meh

The video for the DV6 states that it has a full HD screen, either the article or the video has it wrong

1. nichomach
        Stop

@DomS

You'll note that there's a little "3" after the Full HD boast in the video, which corresponds to a fleetingly displayed wodge of small print (you have to be quick with the pause button) at the end stating that the full HD bit "varies by model and region". The HP info page linked to does not give any screen specifications at all. Given that HP aren't giving any details, I went with assuming the article to be accurate.

2. Hardcastle the ancient

Paging Moderators

People have been downvoted in this commentshed for complaining about low resolution screens.

I suspect that such downvoting may be some sort of sockpuppet for HP. You might spend a jolly half hour investigating my paranoia.

For what it is worth, I'd point out that my new TomTom has a higher pixel density than these worthless doorstops.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    FAIL

Still with the Vtech play computer screens

768? 1080? 768? Double those and I might be interested.

3. Seb123
    FAIL

Seriously?

"14in dv4 and 15.6in dv6 feature a screen res of 1366 x 768"

That's where I stopped reading. It is a travesty that smaller tablet screens have better resolution.

1. DomS
      Meh

Re: Seriously?

The video for the dv6 states that it has a full HD screen, so either the article or the video has it wrong. Just a shame that HP have decided to plaster the laptop with stupid labels such as "HP TrueVision HD" next to the webcam. When will they learn that less is more?

2. Nexox Enigma

Re: Seriously?

""""14in dv4 and 15.6in dv6 feature a screen res of 1366 x 768"

That's where I stopped reading. """

Exactly. I had 1280x768 in 10.6 inches in 2004, and 1366x768 in 8.9 inches in 2008. Where have all the reasonable DPI screens in laptops gone? (Yes, I know the netbook fling is to blame.)

Even desktop LCDs are only just starting to catch up to CRT DPI - I had ~110 DPI in 2001, and the new 27" 2560x1440 screens have just caught up to that (30" LCDs are about 110DPI.) My current monitors will do 120 DPI, which comes out to 2560x1600 in 25", or 2560x1440 in 24.5" - those would be some nice LCDs.

Now don't get me started on chicklet keyboards...

4. MnM

resolution FAIL

no thanks

5. Sean Timarco Baggaley
    WTF?

The dv7 has "Aerodynamic Styling"?

What the hell for? Improved defenestration performance?

6. dssf

Reduced resolution?

Maybe it's to artificially extend the battery life?

Also, I'd like to know whether HP will abandon those STUPID straight-out power pins. Those damned straight-out pins bang against things and risk damaging the power port. They should do what other power supply/adapter makers do: MAKE or PROVIDE a 90-degree bend, and if one is provided, make the plug part by the laptop case short so that it doesn't frackin' desk surface space or get banged by the mouse, by books, or a lamp. I don't know wtf runs through some engineers' or marketing execs minds, but my most recent laptop was most SPECIFICALLY NOT an HP for several reasons:

My previous HP DV x pavillion:

-- straight-out power pin kept banging on things or kept getting banged by things.

-- the front had cheap siliver-metal-looking plastic that hung up on my backpack zipper and tore off

-- the 17" (size was nice) display was way too shiny

-- the 2h 20m battery (under Linux) was a 30 minute battery by month 10, and a 15 minute battery by month 12, and 2 minutes by ~ 18 months. I now is a zero minute battery

-- the fan, when the Pavillion was on AC, ran LOUD, and it was quite stressful, agitating, irritating, and rage-producing. On battery (when the battery was good) it ran quieter

-- it ran HOT before, and the power supply runs HOT still. Both the case and power supply ran hot enough to prompt me to buy and use multiple cooling pads to convince myself that I'd get 4 years out of the hardware

I now is a desktop-laptop-replacement.

It was replaced by a recent quad-core, AMD-based Gateway

My laptop purchases (for my personal ownership):

9/5/11 Sony Vaio, ~13" cost $1299; died due to controller cable problem because of excess removal

~ 1/2008 Gateway, 17" cost me ~ $800, still runs, but battery is a gonner. Bad aspect ratio for CAD, but it is still decent for running older CAD drawings and playing music files

~1/2010, HP Pavilion, AMD CPU and graphics, mentioned above ~ $700, runs hot, loud, and non-mobile unless I buy a replacement battery, only 2 GB, I had to bump it up to 4GB

10/2011, Gateway, 15.x" display, 4 cores, came with 4 GB, which I bumped up to 8 GB

I admire the reported (and purported) battery life of several Apple laptops (in 2010, I watched a guy for 8 hours nurse his 17" Apple laptop as he programmed and surfed (mostly via consoles, hehehe, but he still toggled in and out of Expose or whatever that is), but no way in hell I'll pay those prices! Well, not unless IBM/Lotus reactivate and improves Lotus SmartSuite and port a version to run on Macs... THAT would be well worth jumping to a 17" Mac, even if SmartSuite cost $500 and the Apple laptop cost $2,000 -- so long as it still gets ~ 7 hours for that screen size.

If HP wants to see me buy a 2nd HP laptop:

-- make a 90-deg bend pin

-- make the batteries more manageable by Linux-oriented battery management tools and STOP using proprietary BIOS calls kludged/foisted by MS/BIOS/HP decision-makers.

-- make the 17" laptops about 1lb lighter, to say, 6 lbs vice 7.8

-- make the laptops run cooler

-- make the laptops run QUIETER

-- get rid of bogus flashing and tear-off cheapo plastic

-- ditch the ejectable CD/DVD and go with a slot

-- price it at $800 or less

-- endow it with 8 GB and BAN THE RESELLER from stripping the RAM out of the system and jacking up the prices to get the RAM restored

-- keep a physical kill switch for the radio (wi-fi, blue-tooth, etc.)

-- keep the antennae in a port that can be opened and the antennae removed at will by the owner

-- make it possible to remove or swap hard drives-- better yet, install reasonably-sized Solid State drives and provide, say, 3 or 4 ports so that one can be the OS SSD, and multiple others can be removable/hot-swappable data drives, or one can be an OS failover/RAID-like drive, or simply a periodic clean copy of the default OS setup

-- install a lifetime, 5-minute battery to enable the owner to swap out battery sticks without shutting down

-- make a y-splice connector accessory or build in two power connector ports so that when on AC, the owner can swap in or attach an external 6-hour battery that has its own pin and power supply.

7. Robert E A Harvey

@Caleb Cox

Hows about you pass the comments in this thread to whoever gave you the press release, and then tell us what they said.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like